• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rings and base to compliment a .223 budget build

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Sorry if this is asked a lot, I tried searching but the new forum layout is throwing me and my search abilities for a loop. I am looking for a solid yet budget oriented scope rings and base for my .223. I have a Rem 700 SPS Tac in a B&C stock. Putting a SWFA SS scope on so I need to upgrade to 30mm rings. While I am at it I was wondering if it was worth upgrading to a solid base to replace the 2 piece warne mounts.

Currently the rifle does 50/50 coyote hunting and 600 yard steel shooting. I just finished college and I am wanting to finally start shooting more long range and honing in my skills. I want something that will match the gun and a SWFA SS 3-15 well but to be honest I can not justify $200-$400 on Badger rings/bases. I wasn't sure if I should rock the 2 piece base or upgrade to a 10-20 MOA base. 600 yards is really my max but I have been toying around with the idea of rebarreling for .223 AI and pushing the heaviest of .22 bullets. This gun wont be going anywhere I will keep it as a trainer and plinker but wanted to get more trigger time before I sink the money into a bigger gun.

EDIT: Pick to Show what I have been rocking for the last few years minus the KRG bolt lift.

Last edited:
EGW base, TPS rings. A step down in rings would be the Burris tactical rings.

EGW base, TPS rings. A step down in rings would be the Burris tactical rings.

I was going to recommend this exact set up and this is what I would use on any build really. It wouldn't have to be a budget build. Those components are very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to recommend this exact set up and this is what I would use on any build really. It wouldn't have to be a budget build. Those components are very nice.

Thanks guys, the market has been flooded in the last couple years so the wide variety of options was confusing me.

I just remember when I joined badger was the cat's meow.

I see EGW makes a 0 and 15 and 20 moa base. Think a 15 moa would maintain a 100 yard zero?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Get a 20 MOA base.

Just about any scope will still be able to get a 100 yard zero.

SWFA SS scopes have a lot of internal adjustment, so barring some occasional mounting issues, you should have no problem reaching 600-800 yards with your current rings.

There is a fair amount of discussion happening about vertically split rings affecting a scope's internal adjustment accuracy. I have not had that problem with the SS scopes in vertically split rings, but I have not made a detailed study.

Still, if you want to kill both birds with one stone, so to speak, you should consider Burris XTR Signature rings with PosAlign inserts. 30mm medium rings will work well for your setup and with the inserts you can optimize your mounting so that the scope always stays in the center of its adjustment range:
https://swfa.com/burris-xtreme-tactical-signature-30mm-rings.html

ILya

ill third this...was going to wright it until you two had. I currently use these on not so budget builds also and no issues.

SWFA SS scopes have a lot of internal adjustment, so barring some occasional mounting issues, you should have no problem reaching 600-800 yards with your current rings.

There is a fair amount of discussion happening about vertically split rings affecting a scope's internal adjustment accuracy. I have not had that problem with the SS scopes in vertically split rings, but I have not made a detailed study.

Still, if you want to kill both birds with one stone, so to speak, you should consider Burris XTR Signature rings with PosAlign inserts. 30mm medium rings will work well for your setup and with the inserts you can optimize your mounting so that the scope always stays in the center of its adjustment range:
[video]https://swfa.com/burris-xtreme-tactical-signature-30mm-rings.html[/video]

ILya
Thanks ya my current rings are only 1" and I hate the split ring design like they are because if you need to remove the scope and rings you need to readjust and re-level the whole scope.

That's good. On adjustments I guess if I don't need the canted base no need getting it. I was just thinking it may be useful down the road but who knows.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I like a Weaver 20moa rail, and their 6-screw rings. Never had a problem using this setup on several rifles.

Sorry if this is asked a lot, I tried searching but the new forum layout is throwing me and my search abilities for a loop. I am looking for a solid yet budget oriented scope rings and base for my .223. I have a Rem 700 SPS Tac in a B&C stock. Putting a SWFA SS scope on so I need to upgrade to 30mm rings. While I am at it I was wondering if it was worth upgrading to a solid base to replace the 2 piece warne mounts.

Currently the rifle does 50/50 coyote hunting and 600 yard steel shooting. I just finished college and I am wanting to finally start shooting more long range and honing in my skills. I want something that will match the gun and a SWFA SS 3-15 well but to be honest I can not justify $200-$400 on Badger rings/bases. I wasn't sure if I should rock the 2 piece base or upgrade to a 10-20 MOA base. 600 yards is really my max but I have been toying around with the idea of rebarreling for .223 AI and pushing the heaviest of .22 bullets. This gun wont be going anywhere I will keep it as a trainer and plinker but wanted to get more trigger time before I sink the money into a bigger gun.

Keep your flat base set up an use these rings, they go from 0-40 MOA, none marking, an solid as a rock.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

Keep your flat base set up an use these rings, they go from 0-40 MOA, none marking, an solid as a rock.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

That is sweet! Never seen those. Guess Ill wait and get the scope before I order. My only issue with the two piece mounts is the scope adjustment area is almost inside of the ring. Ill have to ensure the rings will sit in their correct spot and still give me room to adjust eye relief..

That is sweet! Never seen those. Guess Ill wait and get the scope before I order. My only issue with the two piece mounts is the scope adjustment area is almost inside of the ring. Ill have to ensure the rings will sit in their correct spot and still give me room to adjust eye relief..

Many two piece bases are reverse-able as the cross slot is not centered between the mounting screws.