• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Rings for use with PVS30 on AICS AX Chassis

sled_mack

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Slatington, PA
I've got the first gen of the AX style chassis with a Rem700. I'm using a 20 moa rail. I've got two of them, one with a gen 1 Razor 5-20 and the other with a SWFA 5-20.

When I do the math to get the PVS30 lined up with the objective of the day scope, I get 1.65 inches for the Razor and 1.70 inches for the SWFA. This is to the centerline of the objective.

I'm not seeing much in the way of selection for rings above 1.4 inches.

My first question - does this sound right? Or did I screw up the measurement somewhere?

With the rings I have now, I need to raise the Razor 0.54 inch and the SWFA 0.61 inch. That leads me to the second question - would I be better off just getting a pic rail riser? That is assuming I can find one that is 0.5 inches high.

Thoughts or suggestions (short of selling the chassis)?

Thanks,
Steve

Your AX chassis will have a 20moa hand guard rail too so that doesn't matter, personally I wouldn't get any additional cant in your mounts or rings though.

I run 1.5" mounts with mine and they line up perfectly. I run the Spuhr SP-5002 (35mm diameter 1.5") with a Leupold MK5 and SP-4002's (34mm diameter 1.5") for my 34mm's. I don't have any 30mm tubed optics anymore but if I did I'd run the SP-3002.

Center diameter is center diameter and it doesn't change optic to optic, only the heigh to outside of tube does if the tube diameter is different. 1.5" center height is what you want. The 35mm's are going to be limited for your gen 1 razor but there's a bunch of 1.5" height 30mm's.

I had no idea the handguard is sloped 20 moa. I measured each one because the actions are bedded to the chassis and rails are bedded to the actions. And, they are two different rails - one Badger and one EGW. I wanted to be sure any difference between the two systems is minimal.

So how close do I need the two scopes aligned?

I’d love to have Spuhr mount, but buying two at once is painful...

Ohh, didn't realize you weren't using the AI scope rail, that's probably your difference in height because you've got two different rails. I'd get the AI rails for your actions, they will line up with the forend rail.

Looks like I need to call Mile High this week. I was just going to put a spare rail section out front. I see they make a specific night vision rail section. I need to figure out the best options to make this work.

The absolute best option was mentioned above. AI scope base for your Rem 700 which will then line up with the handguard pic rail (match the cant for best results)

Coming to that realization. And Europtic is just about in my back yard. I wish I knew about the AI base when I had the rifles built. I’d be a step ahead at this point.
Thanks