• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rings.....In General

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
Searched but found nothing general in nature. Lots of specifics.

Need a set of rings for a 30mm USO ST10 to mount on M700 .308 with BO 20moa base. I can figure out the height but can someone provide an opinion of manufacturers and materials. I don't mind spending $150+ for the best I can get but all the choices are daunting....

USO, NF, Seekins, BO, TPS, steel, aluminum, 4 screws, 6 screws, etc.

What makes one better then the other?

Re: Rings.....In General

i believe at that price point all youll have to worry about is getting the right mojo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i believe at that price point all youll have to worry about is getting the right mojo. </div></div>

great, my point simply was that I am not looking to find a cheap way out.

It makes no sense to me to skimp on the piece that joins $1k rifle to a $1500 optic. All good names but what sets them apart and what material and design would be preferable?

I prefer Seekins 4 screws myself. I don't know they're better than the other top end rings, I just prefer the aesthetics. There's no nuts hanging off the side to snag on. On top of that the machine work is top notch. I've been machining stuff for a living for over half my life.

I also run BO steel bases. Again top notch work. It doesn't matter from a practical stand point, but I like aluminum rings clamped to aluminum scope tubes and a steel base bolted to a steel receiver.

my $.02,
LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer Seekins 4 screws myself. I don't know they're better than the other top end rings, I just prefer the aesthetics. There's no nuts hanging off the side to snag on. On top of that the machine work is top notch. I've been machining stuff for a living for over half my life.

I also run BO steel bases. Again top notch work. It doesn't matter from a practical stand point, but I like aluminum rings clamped to aluminum scope tubes and a steel base bolted to a steel receiver.

my $.02,
LM

</div></div>

I didnt consider that. With a aluminum tube and a steel base, is a steel ring or aluminum preferable? In either case you will have mismatched metals touching.

I was leaning towards the BO USMC type but the Seekings look real nice and will save a few ounces as long as the aluminum is tough and getting the rings to proper torque specs isnt a problem.

I went with the USO rings, 30 mm extra lows, they are a four screw design and are windage adjustable. I also went with the USOs, cuz like Luvman I didnt want any nuts on the side to get hung up on things, and man they are robust for sure. I havent heard any issues with any of the choices you have listed, so in my opinion I dont think you can go wrong with any of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didnt consider that. With a aluminum tube and a steel base, is a steel ring or aluminum preferable? In either case you will have mismatched metals touching.</div></div>

I don't think it matters much one way or the other *IF* you have good quality rings and bases. I just prefer to have the dissimilar metals where the rings and base meet. I think the only time I'd be worried is if you were looking at cheap rings with possible sub par quality.

I went with USO rings.

b917c.jpg

Many people don't know that Barrett makes rings to withstand the abuse our big guns dish out (I've just taken over as optics program manager to change that, btw). Consider these as another option. I'll tell you they are the best rings on the market, but obviously, I'm biased.

http://www.barrettrifles.com/optics_rings.aspx

Everything about them, material, tolerances, hardware size & strength, etc... has been built to withstand the extreme.

Thanks for taking a look.

Kyle

I have Seekins on my rifle. Glen's machine work is an art unto itself.

I have fondled Badger and looked at USO, but I really like Seekins.

100_3050.jpg

I don't think you can go wrong with Badger, Seekins, USO or any of the other top end.

seekins is gonna make a run of 6 and 4 screw sets of rings.

All are good and will work with no problem. But you must choose one.. so I will tell you why I chose Seekins.

USO: with bolts on both sides of the rail you would need to center the rings or be careful not to put torque on the tube.

Badger: My 2nd favorite. The bolts could snag though.

Seekins: Alumunim rings seem better to me on an Alum tube. Sleek and well machined. Best of all they offer the most practical heights (lower heights) and any size tube (i needed 34mm).

I like Seekins alot. Good solid ring at a good price and Glen is a nice guy also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Leupold Mark 4?</div></div>

check to see if they got torex screws.....

I have USO, BO, MK4, and Seekins. All have done the job good for me. USO's are pretty awesome, very well built, but I'm not crazy about the windage adjustment in the ring. If I pop the scope off for something and put it back on, I hate dicking with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
USO, NF, Seekins, BO, TPS, steel, aluminum, 4 screws, 6 screws, etc.

What makes one better then the other? </div></div>
Presumably you are looking at 1 inch or 30mm scope tubes, because the choices start narrowing down when you get into 34mm or 35mm tubes.

I really like the Glen Seekins rings. They are light, very strong, available in the tube diameters I use, don't have any bolts hanging off, and I only need a T25 torx for all the screws. What is not to like?

In 30mm I have had no trouble with the Nightforce ultralight rings or Badger rings. Everything else being equal, I prefer aluminum to steel.

Cheers,

DC

well the ST10 should be here in a week so its time to get off the pot and make a decision. I am going to go with Seekins 30mm medium height. I think this will clear with my 700 with BO 20MOA case with the 44mm Obj ST10. The deciding factor is clean design, tough aluminum alloy, and price appears to be a bargain for what you get. Glens reputation also weighed heavily.

thanks all.

PS: who has these in stock?

Thanks guys, Its shooters and sites like this that made our business what it is today. We sure appreciate everything !

Liberty optics should be well stocked and if they dont have it we do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well the ST10 should be here in a week so its time to get off the pot and make a decision. I am going to go with Seekins 30mm medium height. I think this will clear with my 700 with BO 20MOA case with the 44mm Obj ST10. The deciding factor is clean design, tough aluminum alloy, and price appears to be a bargain for what you get. Glens reputation also weighed heavily.

thanks all.

PS: who has these in stock? </div></div>

Hey 03psd,

Do not guess check with Seekins on your ring height, you may be ordering rings that are too high for a 44mm objective. I've got a Remington 700 in .308Win and needed to mount an IOR Sniper's Hide Edition 3-18x42FFP Gen III scope. After calling Seekins I went with Seekins one-piece 20MOA picatinny rail and low 35mm rings. This setup fits and works perfectly and I had plenty of room for the BC flip-up objective cover. Be SURE to use a proper inch/pounds torque wrench that has recently been calibrated when torquing your base/rings and caps!!! You will have no problems with this setup and also get no ring marks on your nice new scope tube like most of the "popular" more expensive name brand steel rings.

Why not go to the source? If he has them Glenn will ship them out ASAP. The Seekins family are the very nicest people you can do business with!

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well the ST10 should be here in a week so its time to get off the pot and make a decision. I am going to go with Seekins 30mm medium height. I think this will clear with my 700 with BO 20MOA case with the 44mm Obj ST10. The deciding factor is clean design, tough aluminum alloy, and price appears to be a bargain for what you get. Glens reputation also weighed heavily.

thanks all.

PS: who has these in stock? </div></div>

Hey 03psd,

Do not guess check with Seekins on your ring height, you may be ordering rings that are too high for a 44mm objective. I've got a Remington 700 in .308Win and needed to mount an IOR Sniper's Hide Edition 3-18x42FFP Gen III scope. After calling Seekins I went with Seekins one-piece 20MOA picatinny rail and low 35mm rings. This setup fits and works perfectly and I had plenty of room for the BC flip-up objective cover. Be SURE to use a proper inch/pounds torque wrench that has recently been calibrated when torquing your base/rings and caps!!! You will have no problems with this setup and also get no ring marks on your nice new scope tube like most of the "popular" more expensive name brand steel rings.

Why not go to the source? If he has them Glenn will ship them out ASAP. the Seekins family are the very nicest people you can do business with!

HTH!

</div></div>

Good idea. I will call Glen direct or perhaps he will chime in and provide direction as to what height will work. Mine is a M700 with 20MOA BO base. The scope is a ST10 with 44mm objective and lo profile rapid focus eye piece. I do want to leave enough room for BC covers

Lows should do you just fine. I'd confirm with Glen and give Scott a call.........

Hey 03' You can go with lows, but the bottom part of the objective, under the scope where it tapers from the scope tube might have clearance problems with your rail. Its just going to depend on where you need the scope to set for your eye relief.

If you want to try a set i can send you Lows and mediums. You just send back the set you dont use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey 03' You can go with lows, but the bottom part of the objective, under the scope where it tapers from the scope tube might have clearance problems with your rail. Its just going to depend on where you need the scope to set for your eye relief.

If you want to try a set i can send you Lows and mediums. You just send back the set you dont use. </div></div>

Hi Glenn,

Love my bases and rings!

Cheers/Chip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey 03' You can go with lows, but the bottom part of the objective, under the scope where it tapers from the scope tube might have clearance problems with your rail. Its just going to depend on where you need the scope to set for your eye relief.

If you want to try a set i can send you Lows and mediums. You just send back the set you dont use. </div></div>

Wow, that is customer service. I dont think I can turn down such an offer. I will call you tomorrow (7/13) and place my order.