• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rings or one piece mount

Cornholeo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
Oklahoma city
I am looking at mounts for NF 5.5-22X56 to be mounted on a new Tikka CTR. I am looking at Aadmount hardware, 30MM high(1.07")rings or his one piece mount. I move the scope on occasion to other AR rifles in load development. Which would be the better choice?

As always help is appreciated!

It really depends on how much cheek weld adjustment your rifles have.
1.07" rings might serve your bolt gun well, and be far to low on your gasser.
Going higher than that may prove to be too high for your bolt gun unless you have adjustable cheek hardware.

I prefer 1 piece mounts to move back and forth between gas guns...but I prefer rings to move back and forth between bolt guns.

Mixing and matching is do-able, but not as easy.

If you do go with the one piece Aadland mount...consider his "Select-A-Slope" option.

Any mount that is high enough for an AR is going to be too high for your CTR. When moving scopes back and forth there is no guarantee the rails on each are straight which can stress the scope, for this application a one piece mount is best. Nobody makes a one piece mount low enough to work well on your bolt gun that I'm aware of. If you could somehow find one (.885 - 1.0) then you could run it on AR's with a riser rail.

My question though is why not buy something like a $300 SWFA and a few sets of different height rings for load development. That or use the scope you're going to leave on the gun anyway. You're just complicating things that aren't complicated.