• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rings... Steel or Aluminum?

Re: Rings... Steel or Aluminum?

Weight factor is about it.

With quality rings(Badger, Near Mfg, Seekins, NightForce etc.....), they will all be plenty strong enough to do whatever you want to do with your rifle.

Got the answer...

Thanks to all!

rasheed

I see TPS is doing Titanium rings now.
http://www.tacticalprecision.com/Ti-Max%20Scope%20Rings.htm

As well as Nightforce, both good matches to a Murphy Precision Titanium base.

All somewhat more costly than steel or aluminum I am sure, but if you want the weight savings of aluminum, and the strength of steel... (not sure why you really NEED that for scope rings) but if you do, Ti is THE SHIT!

Scope tube is aluminum so I like aluminum rings. Receiver is steel so I like steel bases.

buy whatever QUALITY rings and base suits your fancy. Aluminum or steel both work fine.

There is a tremendous difference in materialquality in both the steel and the alu stuff.
Some alu are soft and really unworthy a good gun, and the better qualitys have qualities not far away from the steel.

Titanium have almost duoble the weight of aluminium.

Some times steel is the lightest solution, if good quality is used as everything can be made much thinner

Aluminium even in the best quality alloys are much nicer to machine, therefor that is often the most economical solution.

Håkan

Titanium is double the weight of Aluminum and twice the strength of Steel, just seems kinda overkill for scope rings to me, lol.

Im with Luvman on this one, if your rifle sees bad conditions and gets an electrolyte between the two metals you could have some corrosion on your hands, but my gun will never see conditions that this would happen, lol.

That being said I dont think one if better than the other for the average user...

Jake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope tube is aluminum so I like aluminum rings. Receiver is steel so I like steel bases. </div></div>

This makes complete sense to me...

Thanks Luvman!

Yes, Titanium is heavier than aluminum, stronger and lighter than steel. Seems like a good "middle ground" to me. (pokin' with a stick)

QUALITY of machining, over materials. Unless you have a gold card or something, and can afford both, in that case, titanium is still the shit.