• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rings with windage adjustments...

base

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
so it seems my rifle may need rings with windage adjustments. i have a 30mm scope. what suggestions do you all have and what is out there? thanks.

Re: Rings with windage adjustments...

Why would need windage adjustable rings, a little more info on your set up please

I had a rem 700 that the mounting holes for the base were off a little from the center line of the bore. I just added a little windage to the base mounting holes with a dremmel. I set my scope windage to mechanical center and dry-fit everything a couple of times until I had it where I wanted it. I then bedded the base to the action with Ti Devcon.

Millet make a set of Angle-Loc rings I have used them for years. They work great if you have that problem if not you can use the rings to zero windage your scope when you mount it so you don't end up with more to one side or the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Millet make a set of Angle-Loc rings I have used them for years. They work great if you have that problem if not you can use the rings to zero windage your scope when you mount it so you don't end up with more to one side or the other. </div></div>

How do you use the Millets for windage adjustment without kinking the scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burris Signature Zee rings. They are what I used when I had a similar issue with a 700. </div></div>I love these things.

i have an SPS-V in 308 with Seekins 20moa base and medium 30mm rings with a Vortex 6.5-20x50 scope. when all mounted up i have only about 5.5 MOA adjusttment right but 49.25 MOA left. sent the scope back to Vortex and its good, excellent customer service by the way. big thanks to Scott and Maureen at Vortex.

i thought the screw holes on the rifle maybe off so Remington said send it to them. the rifle is currently being looked at by J&G Gunsmithing, that's who Remington outsources to, and they say i probably may need new rings with adjustments to fix. they actually just received my rings, base and scope today and will mount it and let me know maybe tomorrow or next day whats up.

if i get new rings i will have a set of practically new Seekins 30mm rings for sale at a good price in classifieds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i thought the screw holes on the rifle maybe off so Remington said send it to them. the rifle is currently being looked at by J&G Gunsmithing, that's who Remington outsources to, <span style="color: #FF0000">and they say i probably may need new rings with adjustments to fix</span>. they actually just received my rings, base and scope today and will mount it and let me know maybe tomorrow or next day whats up.

if i get new rings i will have a set of practically new Seekins 30mm rings for sale at a good price in classifieds.
</div></div>

So Remington says you probably need to buy windage adjustable rings and/or bases to correct a problem that they are responsible for?
I don't think that solution would work very well for me, especially if it meant I had to sell a perfectly good set of Seekins stuff.

I agree, so is Rem. going to compensate you for their incompetancy? I can see maybe getting a round action not to top dead center in a jig, but how do you get one not parallel? Must be crap for machinery.

The proper fix would be to have a gunsmith re do the holes on the top of your action. They can make them 8-40's and make sure they are lined up properly. If the holes are that far off you will have other issues too, like a scope base that is twisted once tightened down. It all goes to hell from there, then your rings wont be in line, your scope tube stressed or marred up on and on...

If you have one of our bases and you need to swap it for one that takes 8-40 screws just send it in with a note and we will swap it for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you have one of our bases and you need to swap it for one that takes 8-40 screws just send it in with a note and we will swap it for you. </div></div>

And there's another reason I love Glen's stuff
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The proper fix would be to have a gunsmith re do the holes on the top of your action. They can make them 8-40's and make sure they are lined up properly. </div></div>

Chad Dixon did an alignment and 8-40 job for me. I had the gun back in less than 2 weeks.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...895#Post2449895

I didn't bother calling Remington because the action had been rebarreled before I shot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have one of our bases and you need to swap it for one that takes 8-40 screws just send it in with a note and we will swap it for you. </div></div>

You can't beat an offer like that!
I've got bases, rings, and DBM assemblies from Seekins and they are all first class, just like Glen.

i did think that it was the hole alignments also. thats why i sent the rifle to Remington (J&G Gunsmithing in California.) i originally had an EGW 20 MOA base and the Burris XTR rings on the rifle and had the same problem. so i upgraded to the Seekins base and rings which i love and the same problem. what are the chances its my two different set ups of rings and bases and not the rifle right?

i actually asked Richard at J&G if drilling out the holes larger to line things up could be a fix and was told it wouldn't fix my problem. if J&G Gunsmithing tells me i need new rings i may look into getting the holes drilled bigger and straightened so i can use my existing base/ring combo and will email Remington my thoughts.

i will inquire with Chad about the work pricing and timing. thanks.

fuck that- I'd tell remington to get their shit together and fix your rifle RIGHT. Maybe say something like "yeah I guess the way this is going I can see how all that trigger shit went down. And I bought anyway... "

They either need to give you a new receiver or off-set drill the holes. and whoever said that can't be done is totally full of shit. Any good machinist can do it. Shit, I bet you could take it to an engine machine shop and they could hook you up. But then again, I would be damned if I'm coming out of pocket to fix a manufacturing defect.

Have you tried to mount a diff scope on that rifle? We ran into that and thought it was the rifle until we mounted another scope and it was only a couple of clicks outside of center. Sent the scope back and had it fixed.

I know my Rem SPS varmint was slightly off, not as bad as the OP's, and I used the Millet angle-loc windage rings to fix it. they are easy to use. Boresight whilst mounting, and while tightening the rings to the base you tighten them down after setting the windage on the scope to mechanical zero, and adjust the ring's mounting screws accordingly till you get the crosshairs lined up (windage-wise) with the boresight. you adjust the opposite of the front as you did the back (quarter off the front right, quarter off rear left, etc.) to prevent marring, twisting, of scope.

I have also used the Burris signature rings with the inserts which work well if you know what offset you need, and are made to not mar are damage the scope tube, but take some care and finess to get to mount perfectly correctly.

The solution with the rings is great and all if you do not plan on changing optics any time soon. If you plan on doing an optics change, or having several optics for various purposes, then getting the source of the problem corrected is definitely in order. I know with mine I am waiting till I get it rebarreled and the action trued/blueprinted before I worry about it. I don't plan on changing anything till then anyways, except maybe adding the badger ordnance bottom metal....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you tried to mount a diff scope on that rifle? We ran into that and thought it was the rifle until we mounted another scope and it was only a couple of clicks outside of center. Sent the scope back and had it fixed. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have an SPS-V in 308 with Seekins 20moa base and medium 30mm rings with a Vortex 6.5-20x50 scope. when all mounted up i have only about 5.5 MOA adjusttment right but 49.25 MOA left. <span style="font-weight: bold">sent the scope back to Vortex and its good, excellent customer service by the way. big thanks to Scott and Maureen at Vortex. </span>
</div></div>

You also need to understand that the receiver may be "in spec" according to its manufacture. They still may do nothing..

How much is it to re-do the holes on the action? I would be more than happy to check our parts for you, but we have never had this issue so its highly un-likely, especially if it had the same problem with your other mount.

lets assume the holes on your action are off to one side, BUT its just the back holes. OR assume you draw a straight line down your holes and that straight line is not parallel to your barrel. Now you have issues because its a angle, and the farther you go the worse it gets. Clear as mud
smile.gif

If it was mine i would

1) have the holes re worked and get busy shooting.
2) return it and ask for another, hoping the next one is better (only if it is 100% factory and still considered new by your dealer) and assuming you are willing to wait. Im inpatient, so i cant wait, revert to #1...
smile.gif

I've got a similar issue with an ARMs split rail mount for an M1a. The two mounting rails are not lined up correctly. I had a set of TPS rings but didn't bother mounting the scope after discovering the problem because it would seriously damage the scope. I ordered a set of Burris signature zee rings that look like they will work. I was wondering if there are other manufacturers that make something similar but of higher quality? I especially do not like the standard screwdriver fastener used to mount it to the rail on the zee rings.

The ARMs split rail is now rare and I don't want to replace it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a similar issue with an ARMs split rail mount for an M1a. The two mounting rails are not lined up correctly. I had a set of TPS rings but didn't bother mounting the scope after discovering the problem because it would seriously damage the scope. I ordered a set of Burris signature zee rings that look like they will work. I was wondering if there are other manufacturers that make something similar but of higher quality? I especially do not like the standard screwdriver fastener used to mount it to the rail on the zee rings.

The ARMs split rail is now rare and I don't want to replace it. </div></div>

The Millet windage adjustable use torx, however they are meant to be permanently attached, and loc-tite is suggested to be used on them once adjusted. They do hold well, even with my big heavy ass scope, You just have to remember to adjust off the front what you do in the rear, and vice versa to prevent marring and denting the scope tube. I used a two piece mount for now because I knew the mounting holes were off (I checked) by about 1.1 mils right, remington seems to have a +/- 1.5 mil spec from what I have seen on several different rifles. When I purchased my SPS .308 varmint I went through the 6 different rifles they had at the shop, and measures and gauged all of them, and picked the best one they had. I measured the throat lengths, the scope mount off set, headspace, scoped the bores. Now after dropping it in a new stock with a bedding block, and some load development, seating to mag. length it is hitting just around 1/4 on a good day, the only issue remaining is the scope mount issue. even with the windage adjustable rings, I still had to adjust the scope a bit to get lined up. I adjusted the rings as far as I felt comfortable to get as much windage adjustment as I could without marring the scope tube, while maintaining a good solid mount to the base. It doesn't entirely FIX the problem, but it does help provide a temporary solution to it. Think of it like fix a flat for a tire. It gets you out to the range to shoot the rifle, and make sure it performs, as well as ensure your scope performs, but it doesn't solve the problem entirely. I know when I rebarrel this rifle, and have the action tuned I will have the mounts redrilled and tapped with the 8-40 and all that high-speed jazz. Just right now, I am not worried about it, because I don't need to worry about it. When I have my USO scope, and my action trued and tuned, and a much better barrel on it (possibly even going to .260 rem...) , and a good solid one piece elevated mount, then I will concern myself with it, because then it will matter. I don't expect to shoot this rifle beyond 600m for the time being, and have plenty of windage adjustment for that range for now, unless I am shooting in winds greater than 40 kt, which if I am, that means I probably have lightning to worry about as well...

I had to dial about 3 moa into my scope on my 700 sps tactical. Didn't even think about it until I saw this thread. Thats not a huge amount off, but it seems like things could have been better? Then again, I suppose the egw rail could be contributing slightly as well?

DP245, they just said that it wouldn't fix it by re-drilling the holes not that they couldn't. i still believe this is the problem and if Remington/J&G won't fix it i will have to come out of pocket for it.

powell, no i haven't mounted another scope. i have a Vortex scope and sent it back and Scott and he said it was fine. i have tried 2 different setups of bases and rings and same problem.

Sandbogg, they're in Granite Bay, CA

heatseekins, thanks for the help. i may take you up on changing in my current base for the larger holed ones. i too believe its the mount holes that are not properly drilled at Remington. i have also contacted Chad Dixon as fw707 above recommended, no reply yet. this is my first and last Remington.

i posted a new topic in the Gunsmithing forum of SH and linked this one since thats where this topc has gone to. heres the link.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2626510&#Post2626510

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DP245, they just said that it wouldn't fix it by re-drilling the holes not that they couldn't. i still believe this is the problem and if Remington/J&G won't fix it i will have to come out of pocket for it.

powell, no i haven't mounted another scope. i have a Vortex scope and sent it back and Scott and he said it was fine. i have tried 2 different setups of bases and rings and same problem.

Sandbogg, they're in Granite Bay, CA

heatseekins, thanks for the help. i may take you up on changing in my current base for the larger holed ones. i too believe its the mount holes that are not properly drilled at Remington. i have also contacted Chad Dixon as fw707 above recommended, no reply yet. this is my first and last Remington.

i posted a new topic in the Gunsmithing forum of SH and linked this one since thats where this topc has gone to. heres the link.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2626510&#Post2626510 </div></div>

I remember also hearing somewhere that another issue with remington rifles is that some rifles have the receivers OD slightly out of round, disrupting the mount's mating surface ever so slightly as well. I kinda bedded my mounts in (millet two piece steel mounts) by applying some grease (light layer) to the receiver where the mounts were going to cover, and filling the bottom of the mounts with some JB Weld putty when I mounted them. Cleaned off the excess, and never had an issue since. I have even taken the mounts off and reinstalled them without much of a zero shift after mounting my scope back on (I used red loctite on one side of the windage angle loc rings so I could detach if I wanted to... blue on the other side)