Riot bag/ modern escape'n evasion kit?

mcameron

Old Salt
Belligerents
Nov 17, 2011
So i work in a large city....and im thinking shit isnt going to get any better in the near future, and especially with the election coming up....im thinking about putting together a "riot bag"...something between an EDC kit and a "get home bag"....should i find myself in a riot and unable to exit the city safely in my car.

basically a EDC kit i can keep in my car, or on my person.....with enough supplies to last 12-24 hrs max with the goal of aiding in the exfil of a dangerous area....then i can arrange for lodging or transport.

wondering if yall had any input or thoughts.

im thinking of the following:

• Maxpedition Prepaired citizen backpack
  • lvl3A insert
  • Glock 19 w/ 2 spare mags
  • trauma kit
  • Ham radio w/ spare battery
  • flashlight
  • portable phone charging bank
  • $100 cash
  • 4 water bottles/ 2 power bars
  • and i have a strong desire to include road flares for some reason, though i cant explain why.
thoughts?

Reactions: required_user_name

jphil108

Private
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2010
I have a very similar bunch of gear that goes in with me in my work/laptop bag which is a Swiss gear bag that I got for free with a U-Line order. Looks like all the other nondescript people heading in to work. Would throw in at least a good knife, road map of your local area, and a compass. If you have to run you might have to cover some terrain you’re not familiar with and google maps may not be working. The power bars are a great deal to have but you need to rotate them fairly frequently. As for water, I have a 40 Oz. Kleen canteen single wall that I drink out of at work and I top it off before I hit the road religiously. It’s stainless so you can boil water in it and you can Carry some iodine tablets. Might want to add a life straw filter, a lighter (wrap several feet of duct tape around it), a good multi tool, some hand sanitizer (antiseptic and a decent fire starter if it’s wet) a few gallon zip loc bags and zip ties. I’d leave the road flairs in your car with a solid set of tools. All of my stuff fits into a zipper pouch that looks big enough to hold two 30rd p-mags. Pistol comes along too but HR doesn’t want them in the building so it stays in the car where it will likely do me no good. I keep a couple 50 rd boxes of ammo in the car in addition to the two loaded spare mags. You said charging bank so I’m assuming you’ve already got an external battery, see if you can get adapters for both your radio and phone. I’ve been thinking through getting a pistol caliber carbine to match my carry pistol to keep in the car as well, really liking the ruger PC carbine with magpul stock set. Just can’t convince myself I need it yet.

Reactions: required_user_name

TACC

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
Good list, the only thing I will suggest is water bottles need to be checked and rotated often.

The granola/protein bars as well depending on temperature inside car

Longrangeprecision762

Lord, make me fast and accurate.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2018
Michigan
I like Sniperwolfs suggestion that you include pepper spray. With the violence that has erupted may I suggest upping the ante. I would include bear spray which would be very helpful in breaking contact with a crowd and creating an out that might not exist without violence of action.
“Side Note” don’t store this bag in your passenger compartment with the mace. You don’t need it exploding after being exposed to the extreme heat of your car. I believe anything above 120 degrees is dangerous.
A friend of mine had a can of spray paint explode after leaving it on the front seat after a range session. Not a good day.
https://www.rei.com/product/154930/...10tVZ8qpF7R-ibIFkG4aAjRAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388

mcameron

Old Salt
Belligerents
Nov 17, 2011
I have a very similar bunch of gear that goes in with me in my work/laptop bag which is a Swiss gear bag that I got for free with a U-Line order. Looks like all the other nondescript people heading in to work. Would throw in at least a good knife, road map of your local area, and a compass. If you have to run you might have to cover some terrain you’re not familiar with and google maps may not be working. The power bars are a great deal to have but you need to rotate them fairly frequently. As for water, I have a 40 Oz. Kleen canteen single wall that I drink out of at work and I top it off before I hit the road religiously. It’s stainless so you can boil water in it and you can Carry some iodine tablets. Might want to add a life straw filter, a lighter (wrap several feet of duct tape around it), a good multi tool, some hand sanitizer (antiseptic and a decent fire starter if it’s wet) a few gallon zip loc bags and zip ties. I’d leave the road flairs in your car with a solid set of tools. All of my stuff fits into a zipper pouch that looks big enough to hold two 30rd p-mags. Pistol comes along too but HR doesn’t want them in the building so it stays in the car where it will likely do me no good. I keep a couple 50 rd boxes of ammo in the car in addition to the two loaded spare mags. You said charging bank so I’m assuming you’ve already got an external battery, see if you can get adapters for both your radio and phone. I’ve been thinking through getting a pistol caliber carbine to match my carry pistol to keep in the car as well, really liking the ruger PC carbine with magpul stock set. Just can’t convince myself I need it yet.
So i always carry a good size knife as my EDC, that rides in my pocket 24/7....

regarding maps, i thought about it, but im not planning on doing much "orienteering" .....my goal isnt necessarily to get home( a 60 mile trek most days)....but to just get out of a "hot zone"

life straw, again i thought about it....but im also not sure ide have a hard time finding water in a urban/ suburban environment....especially for 24 hrs when im planning on bringing water with me.

lighter,
thatll probably get tossed into my kit, along with a bunch of other "smalls", like pens, notebook, tape, ect

hand sanitizer, yeah, thats definitely also with me 24/7.

bags/ zipties, in an extended scenario, i can see the benefit....but im having a hard time imagining a necessary use for my circumstances.

my goal is to not fill it with a bunch of stuff, so there are a lot of "nice to haves" that are getting cut....i really only want the necessities, so that im not carrying a bunch of weight, and i can find what i need when i need it.

Add a rain poncho.
yeah i was thinking about that, one of those disposable ponchos, and maybe a space blanket.

I like Sniperwolfs suggestion that you include pepper spray. With the violence that has erupted may I suggest upping the ante. I would include bear spray which would be very helpful in breaking contact with a crowd and creating an out that might not exist without violence of action.

https://www.rei.com/product/154930/...10tVZ8qpF7R-ibIFkG4aAjRAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
pepper spray was actually on my mind as well....now ive always heard bear spray isnt as potent as regular "police issue" pepper spray, do any of yall have any insight on that?

Longrangeprecision762

Lord, make me fast and accurate.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2018
Michigan
So i always carry a good size knife as my EDC, that rides in my pocket 24/7....

regarding maps, i thought about it, but im not planning on doing much "orienteering" .....my goal isnt necessarily to get home( a 60 mile trek most days)....but to just get out of a "hot zone"

life straw, again i thought about it....but im also not sure ide have a hard time finding water in a urban/ suburban environment....especially for 24 hrs when im planning on bringing water with me.

lighter, thatll probably get tossed into my kit, along with a bunch of other "smalls", like pens, notebook, tape, ect

hand sanitizer, yeah, thats definitely also with me 24/7.

bags/ zipties, in an extended scenario, i can see the benefit....but im having a hard time imagining a necessary use for my circumstances.

my goal is to not fill it with a bunch of stuff, so there are a lot of "nice to haves" that are getting cut....i really only want the necessities, so that im not carrying a bunch of weight, and i can find what i need when i need it.

yeah i was thinking about that, one of those disposable ponchos, and maybe a space blanket.

pepper spray was actually on my mind as well....now ive always heard bear spray isnt as potent as regular "police issue" pepper spray, do any of yall have any insight on that?
I have a friend who can attest to strength of the above product. Not wanting to use a gun at midnight to get rid of some problem coyotes on his back porch he used the bear spray he kept by the door.
The wind changed direction and blew it back in his face. He spent the next 30 minutes vomiting and crawling around trying to find the hose on his house. He is fine and gladly uses his shotgun to dispatch critters now.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Here is what I would suggest you think about, based on how things go these days.

1. What do you have in your pockets at all times, that you always have with you no matter what and what do you want to always have unless you are like naked.

2. The bag that you will actually ALWAYS carry with you into wherever you go, movie theater, shopping, getting something at the convenience store, going into work, going into a friend's house etc.

3. Extra stuff you carry in your car for if you get stuck in your car for some time, maybe you are able to drive, maybe you are stuck on the highway for 48 hours going nowhere (happens a lot actually when weather hits.) Stuff you can use to keep yourself comfortable and safe on an unexpected long drive, or an unexpected impromptu car camping, in addition to the doomsday scenario where you have to shoot your way out of things and keep driving.

4. The Balloon goes up and you know it, but the sheeple don't yet understand. your car either isn't working, or you realize staying in a jammed spot is probable death or the roads are too dangerous. Either way, what bag and supplies do you have to get from where you are, back to your home or major supply base on FOOT without waiting.

While 4 is very unlikely to happen, it is a good plan to still have because in the event the balloon actually goes up, your survival chances may increase greatly if you can get far away from the big X while the sheeple are still trying to figure out what is wrong and that may mean hoofing it on foot rather than your car.

Lowdown3

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2020
I think there are levels to this.

Getting TFO quickly after you accidentally make a wrong turn on 187 Ave and MLK during the middle of a riot you may not have time to gather supplies, get a pack out, etc.

The overriding priority should be E and E.

Something you can grab QUICKLY is essential. I've been loathe to get a "man purse" aka slingbag for years, but this is the best use I've seen for them. Mine hangs over my seat in the car, over an old soft armor vest that's upside down on my seat and a rifle plate- all tucked away under the seat cover so things look semi normal.

Getting out and having a gun battle probably is not the best option, although that seems like what most people are planning for.

So on the layers/levels of kit in the car-

Sling bag/man purse- quick grab, if that's all you can get before escaping, that's all you can get. Assuming a pistol on your person. 3-4 spare magazines in the bag (you are loading your good stuff in these right?), about $30. in $1.'s and $5's- this is there so if you do have to unass your vehicle with rioters around you can let that money go into the air as you take off. Looters are opportunists and a handful of people scrambling to grab money you "dropped" are that many less people potentially chasing you or engaging you.
Smoke grenade might not be a bad idea in there as well- commercial or military.
A couple hundred in other cash (not for looter money chase)
Mask might not hurt
Lockpicks if you know how to use them
My bag fits a 6X8 SAPI plate also, so it's in there.

Again the idea of the sling bag is literally "oh S they are right there" and for whatever reason you can't drive through, around, backwards, etc. Pistol on you, extra mags, diversion equipment, etc.

A large urban bag may include a quick on plate carrier, slim jim, a few thousand in cash (not looter drop money), burner phone, change of clothes to include looking like a "protestor" clothes. Maybe even a folded up posterboard sign with something like "No justice no peace" written on it. Done right you may be able to blend into a crowd and move with the crowd to GTFO of the city or at least the bad areas.

We have to think outside the typical "gun guy" box of standing there and exchanging gunfire with them. For less than a Mad Max scenario this is going to be a huge problem if we do this.

Yes Rule #1 Cardio is in full effect. Knowing how to blend and move with the crowd if need be, and exit when/where it's safe if need be.

Reactions: jphil108

Lowdown3

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2020
Yep!

I found some hippie looking colorful sweatshirts on clearance at Walmart for $6.

You can conceal a plate carrier under the XXL sized ones.

Alpine 338

Lumberjack
Belligerents
Jun 26, 2010
NW Colorado
Cannot emphasize how much things deteriorate in a hot car over time. Ammo, food, water, etc. Rotate stock often, or take your gear inside at work if allowed.

stephanovich

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2019
Vertx commuter laptop sling for work, motorcycling, errands, etc. Still using the 1st gen.

You can swap the insert from a Micro Trauma Kit NOW! or LTC Responder between the laptop bag, range bag, match ruck, and belt kit to keep the essentials handy and save a few bucks.

Pepper spray is distasteful, but seems the most likely thing to get actually used--I keep a can of Fox Labs in the bag.

Separate bag in the car with all the oddball shit; that's where the radio, batteries, emergency rations, etc. goes. Not a "bugout" cause it contains stuff that actually gets used: shooting mat, beanie, ran gear, down jacket, and toiletries.

The change of clothes is vital, more for impromptu sleepovers than riots. I try to pack versatile items--reversible shirts are great for making me feel less like a bum when I turn up at the office in yesterday's outfit. Spare undies are obvious, but spare socks and sneakers are like a gift from God when your boots are wet or dress shoes start to pinch. Going to add hybrid swim trunks (someone make zipoff swim trunk pants that don't suck?) and flip flops too for emergency beach ops.

Coincidentally the makings of black bloc are in there, along with stuff to make me look presentable in most (well, California at least) churches.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
PMR 30 and extra mag will be effective, more ammo and less weight.
I have a PMR 30 and I will say that in my opinion, I would NOT have that as a gun that I need to bet my life on.
Rimfire ammunition not going boom is much more common than centerfire.
I also broke the firing pin on it and had to replace it.

What I would suggest are these 2 options:
The Ruger 5.7 pistol
A RIA Double stack 1911 in .22 TCM

Either of the 2 above will have similar capacity (20 rounds instead of 30, but close enough) and are center fire cartridges and are also more powerful.

rth1800

Two Star General
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
Mine have not broken and FTF is not slowing me down much. I’ve shot 2k 22 WMR rounds recently and no FTF. Win 40 grain HP.
If one comes up it can be cleared near instantly. Only 29 remaining.

Flintdog2011

Long time listener/first time caller
Belligerents
Jul 24, 2013
Jawja
Regarding the pc carbine, just do it! I LOVE mine. It’s surprisingly accurate to 100 yards and just plain fun to shoot. My 15 and 12 year old daughters love it as well. Soft shooter and reliable. Have had no malfunctions at all and have run a couple thousand through it. Breaks down and easily fits in a plain old backpack. Can have it out, reassembled, and ready to go in just a few seconds. I have an inexpensive sig red dot mounted and return to zero is pretty much spot on.

Reactions: jphil108

jphil108

Private
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2010
That’s what I’ve been waiting to hear, I don’t know anyone who has one I can shoot but I figure they must be gaining in popularity if Magpul is creating a stock system for them.

Downtown

Belligerents
Mar 1, 2013
Yes, the PC carbine makes a lot of sense. Use the same mags as the handgun. Also, the water filter is so small and convenient, it's almost silly not to include one, if not on first level stuff, at least available on second level. Ham radio is good, if you have someone to talk to, they're ready to listen, and you can hit the repeater.

jphil108

Private
Belligerents
Jul 21, 2010
if it were me, I would carry one or maybe two bottles of water and the life straw, especially since you think you’d be able to resupply with fresh water, water is essential so it’d be nice to know you had a bottle on hand but it’s heavy and if you think you can find it along the way, why carry so much of it? I’d carry the life straw for the much more common issue of a broken municipal water main and contaminated drinking water which can last for days, I have had boil warnings in every city I’ve ever worked in. Running with bottled water sucks, especially loose in a bag with no hip belt. The maps are pretty nice if a mob pushes you to a part of town you don’t know and you want to pick a route to get around them to get picked up by whomever is listening to your radio transmission. I guess if you know every inch of the city and all available back road egress routes, save the 2 Oz. in your bag. Pepper spray is a solid addition, I’ve been thinking about mounting a bottle with hoses and nozzles to spray up at an angle from my front bumper to clear these individuals that keep trying to block traffic.

Gunfighter14e2

Rusty Nail
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2002
Alabama
eHam.net
One thing to consider is N/V and a weapon that has an IR laser. I find myself taking the latter with me all the time now. Know more and more guys doing the same thing as no one knows what they will try next. My EDC has turned into a no matter what GHB (get home bag). It goes everywhere every time I leave the property now.

mcameron

Old Salt
Belligerents
Nov 17, 2011
One thing to consider is N/V and a weapon that has an IR laser. I find myself taking the latter with me all the time now. Know more and more guys doing the same thing as no one knows what they will try next. My EDC has turned into a no matter what GHB (get home bag). It goes everywhere every time I leave the property now.
ive thought about NV....the problem is, its not worth the investment for the hand full of times im going to use it.

what i would really like is for someone to make a decent Gen1+-Gen2 unit in the $500-800 price bracket...im not privy to the NV game, but i would think a rock solid Gen1-2 unit would sell really well in that range.

because right now, you basically have Toy grade....and you have Military grade.......theres no real "PROsumer" market.

Gunfighter14e2

Rusty Nail
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2002
Alabama
eHam.net
While I fully understand where your coming from,...but what is your life worth to your family? Let alone having the ability to operate at night protecting them? I sold many guns to fund and have full night operational ability. I can get by w/o wants,... to fund a need.

Reactions: W54/XM-388

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
While I fully understand where your coming from,...but what is your life worth to your family? Let alone having the ability to operate at night protecting them? I sold many guns to fund and have full night operational ability. I can get by w/o wants,... to fund a need.
Exactly, and once you understand the advantage high end thermals can give you if your opponents only have NV, you are ready to subsist on ramen noodles for a long time to save up for one.

Reactions: thejeep