• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RIP Joe Galloway

kcbird

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
TX
RIP Joe Galloway.

Longtime American foreign correspondent Joseph L. Galloway, best known for his book recounting a pivotal battle in the Vietnam War that was made into a Hollywood movie, has died at age 79.

A native of Refugio, Texas, Galloway spent 22 years as a war correspondent and bureau chief for United Press International, including serving four tours in Vietnam. He then worked for U.S. News & World Report magazine and Knight Ridder newspapers in a series of overseas roles, including reporting from the Persian Gulf War in 1991.

Galloway died Wednesday morning, his wife Grace Galloway said, after being hospitalized near their home in Concord, N.C. He is also survived by two sons and a stepdaughter.

“He was the kindest, most gentle and loving man,” Grace Galloway said. “He loved the boys and girls of the U.S. military. He loved his country.”

I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was in WRAMC back in ‘03. He seemed to be a very humble man that was forever changed by his time with the military.

Attachments

• 4E5AFCE0-3F24-4207-BAC2-F6579F329D2C.jpeg
    4E5AFCE0-3F24-4207-BAC2-F6579F329D2C.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 53
I've seen the movie but never read the book. I'm going to have to check it out. I am assuming the book is probably better than the movie.

Reactions: Makarios031
Both are excellent. There were actually two Ia Drang battles which the movie condensed into one. The book covers both. Mr. Galloway was a special man. May he Rest In Peace.

If ever a civilian deserved a salute.

IIRC, he was awarded the Bronze Star for actions at Ia Drang.
Yes, he actually fought during the battle. The movie shows him taking pictures, sure he did that, but at times when the fighting got so thick, he fought alongside and helped evac the wounded.

They don't make reporters like that anymore.

Reactions: canman
It would have been nice for the SH community to send flowers or something else for his funeral. Just a token of our respect for the man.