• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RIP Junior Seau

Re: RIP Junior Seau

I'm sure there are going to be some that say concussions suffered in the NFL are to blame for the depression that lead to this.

money and fame doesn't buy happiness in life...what a shame!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">money and fame doesn't buy happiness in life...what a shame! </div></div>

+1
frown.gif

Sucks!!

He was one of the few pro athletes I actually liked.

Rest In Peace!

Thanks for leaving behind 3 kids Sydney Beau Seau - Daughter; Jake Ryan Seau - Son; Hunter Tiaina Seau - Son. I am sure they will be well adjusted kids in the future because you couldn't handle the fame and fortune that others would swim hundreds of miles in shark infested water on a tire inner tube just to be able to walk one day in your shoes. You will be missed by your fans but not as much as the family you left behind.

Mechanic- Do you have any personal experience with depression? People suffering from depression are not in their right mind man. It is a terrible thing to see and I've learned to have compassion for those who suffer from it. Of course this guy had everything to live for... why do you think he did something this stupid?

I've seen depression in my family and it is an ugly thing.

I believe EVERYTHING on this planet has self preservation set into your DNA. I believe in my heart if you took someone who is truly depressed and suicidal and stuffed his or her head in a big bucket of water they would fight you to stay alive. I have not "suffered through depression. I have had several rough patches in my life like many people. Suicide is not the answer. I have been a father for 20+ years now and I could never do this to my family. Suicide does not effect the "victim" it just makes victims out of the family.

I am sorry for your situation and don't want to give you the impression that I am an emotional block of cement but we have all been given the gift of being born in the greatest country in the world. So many people in this world press on without knowing if they will get a bowl of rice this week. I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will.

I loved watching him play and feel terrible for his family.

Mechanic speaks true: the likelihood of Seau's children committing suicide just quadrupled if the Psychiatrists are to be believed...

There is a planet full of peaceful, restful, regenerative, helpful places for the treatment of depression. I hope his children can find them.

What caught my attention was that Seau was the eighth player from the Chargers 1994 Super Bowl team to die. This seems a little strange to me.

One thing pro athletes deal with is what to do after they retire. If that is all you know, the screaming crowds, camaraderie of fellow teammates, being treated like a superstar, etc., it would definitely be tough to transition to life outside pro sports. I wonder if this is one of the triggers for their depression? Probably why you see great athletes retire, then unretire or play way past their prime.

TJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we have all been given the gift of being born in the greatest country in the world. So many people in this world press on without knowing if they will get a bowl of rice this week. I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will. </div></div>

Totally 100 percent agree with you.

I had to try to learn to be compassionate to folks who are depressed... I can't say I understand it yet either. I just know that there are people who think their only way out is to end it themselves... and that is totally fucked.

I definitely feel for the family because I know they are feeling a terrible loss tonight.

I actually got to know Junior a bit, he lived right down the street from the surf shop I worked at when I was in high school, and he would surf with us frequently in the mornings and come in the store to talk shop or barbeque (we had a little backyard). The man really loved playing football, and really had no idea what to do with himself when he retired, he just wanted to go back. He never let his depression show, he was always outwardly happy, but you could tell how much he missed it.

I've always been a big Junior Seau fan. I even liked him when he was a part of the Patriots' Evil Empire. Damn shame to lose him, especially to suicide. Depression is a real mental illness, and one that many of us take far too lightly. Still, suicide is a horrible choice to make, and never the right one for the family left behind. May God bless his family in these toughest of times...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure there are going to be some that say concussions suffered in the NFL are to blame for the depression that lead to this. </div></div>

Already a class-action lawsuit filed! You know it!

There have been studies and one big one ongoing about CTE, which is a brain disease caused by both concussion and sub concussion impacts to the head. It basically turns your brain to cheese, causing suicidal thoughts, depression, loss of emotional control, and other disorders. I can guarantee it was a factor to his decision.

Skeptical? Check out a study of soccer players who developed ALS at a much advanced rate than the rest of the population. All from years of soccer balls hitting their heads, and no one would think that's much of a hit at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">seau</span>-icide is for quitters </div></div>

Dude thats cold! Its clever but cold.

That was really surpising to see that story.

Head injuries may play a part in suicides, but I do not believe they are the primary cause.

We ought to be seeing boxers doing it left and right if that's the case.

The suicides hardly ever happen when they are in the limelight, making lots of money and receiving the accolades of millions of fans.

When the money runs out and the glory fades and their "purpose" in life is no longer the sport that they were so admired in, I believe this is where depression sets in. It can always be compounded by drugs, alcohol, women, or financial ruin.

It is a horrible thing for someone to do to their family. I do have compassion for someone who hurts that badly.