• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Risk of threading a barrel?

Conrad101st

Captain
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
OK
I have a 308 fn that shoots way better than I deserve. I had another rifle threaded last year for an elite iron bravo can. I tempted to thread this barrel which is 20 inches. Is it worth the risk or is the risk to accuracy minimal if threading the barrel? Thanks for your input.

Re: Risk of threading a barrel?

Risk to accuarcy is minimal. If the job is done correctly it shouldn't effect accuracy at all.

Unless you have access to a lathe or mill, I would spend the few extra dollars to have it done right.

Just make sure a competent machinist/gunsmith does the job and it'll be fine.

I don't think I would have someone mess with a chrome lined barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think I would have someone mess with a chrome lined barrel. </div></div>

Won't have anything to do with it if the threading is all that is needed. The barrel can be threaded without ever touching the crown.

Unless of course you are threading the "inside" of the barrel
smile.gif