• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Risks with Second Hand Rifle

Stealthy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
Australia
Hi,
While ordering a Savage Model 12 LRPV DBM in 6mmBR the Supplier offered my gunshop a second hand rifle with manufacturers warranty at a discounted price. Impressed with the deal the offer was accepted on my behalf with much appreciation. Apparently the rifle has had very few rounds down the barrel and was returned because it was "not good enough". I have no other information on it beyond that the dealer inspected and test fired it deaming it to be in satisfactory condition for resale under warranty.

The upside to the deal is a very wicked $200 discount. I am curious to know what the potential downsides may be. Is it possible that it is a particularly poor rifle? Is it likely that the barrel or action have been subtly raped by an abusive cleaning regime?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Re: Risks with Second Hand Rifle

"Very few rounds" means different things to different people, as does what's "good enough" in terms of accuracy. Because they are completely subjective it is hard to say what condition the gun is in and what kind of accuracy you can expect.

That said, a $200 discount goes a long way to getting a new non-factory barrel if the accuracy is not acceptable to you. FWIW, I would have bought the gun also.

I have never heard of a 'factory second' rifle. It might turn out to be a good deal, and I hope it does, but paying $800-$900 for a potential donor gun if accuracy isn't acceptable is false economy.

Tough one there, because you never know. I'd take the deal as well I imagine, banking on the fact that Savage takes care of it's customers very well. Plus they make a very good product. I hope it works out.

thanks and the local dealer is great as well, along with the folks at my gunshop.

The rifle arrived today and a letter was included. It is the letter the first retailer sent back to the Dealer explaining why the rifle was returned.

"Customer can shoot tight groups at 100m with various loads but can not get a group at 200(spread can be up to 8") also having trouble with trigger."

cool.gif

I would pass on it here in Australia you are not likley to get any back up from Savage if the rifle is being sold as is and that is what they usualy do then if it does not shoot that is all on you. to have a Match Barrel fitted that will be close to $800 Australian so saving 200 might cost you 800. if the barrel is an issue they should replace it but the importers here just sell them off at a discount. We are rebarreling 2 win 223WSSM's that would not shoot Win Australia put a hacksaw through the barrels and sold them as is barrels not to be used and they were discounted but need new barrels.

Byer beware here in Australia if you can buy it on the proviso that if it does not shoot well and that means to your view not anothers view that 2" groups at 100 are OK then you can return it for a full refund then try it out if not dont touch it.
The rifles are over $2000 here in Australia a drop of $200 is nothing the rifle is seccond hand already.

thanks mate.

I'll beg Stuart or Annie Elliot to take it for a test drive, if they can't get .5" out of it it's probably a lemon.

The gunshop agreed to take it back if need be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BeachGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never heard of a 'factory second' rifle. It might turn out to be a good deal, and I hope it does, but paying $800-$900 for a potential donor gun if accuracy isn't acceptable is false economy.

</div></div>

It sounds like a Refurbished gun. No need to worry though. Good thing is, if it's not accurate, then replacement Savage barrels are not all that much.

Does anyone know how to buy "refurbs" like this from Savage? I am always looking for a good deal on donor actions.

It will not be a refurb but a returned rifle here in Australia they sell them off AS iss seccond hand as they wont send them back to the US the costs are worth more to them than a new rifle.

I hope it shoots if not as long as the gun shop will take it back give it a try if it does not shoot just take it back.

Whatever you do dont think the firearms industrie here in Australia is the same as there in the US it is not and we get a lot of secconds dumped here onto our market and if the rifles or handguns are not up to standard they then sell them off cheeper without any warranty at all.