• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rite in The Rain DOPE Logbook

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    I had an article published recently on two data books that I bought, looking for something that wasn't as complex and expensive as a traditional data book but still provided a structured format for data collection. I picked up a Rite In The Rain logbook and a Storm Tactical pocket rimfire data book. The RITR logbook was probably my favorite one between the two so I'll expound on it a little more here than the ST one. I just felt like the Storm Tactical pocket data book was formatted a little funny, but I think that's because it was built around NRL22 so some of the target types and what not are specific to their match format. That being said, it's not hard to adapt it to other target types and shooting because at the end of the day it's just diamonds, circles, and silhouetts

The DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) logbook is a new offering from Rite In The Rain but they are no strangers to the databook game. For decades they’ve provided the waterproof paper that went into many of the commercial data books out on the market. This is their first in house data book though and I think they’ve done a great job with it. The Rite In The Rain logbook is a simple 4” X 6” notepad with a layout that’s useful and intuitive for collecting ballistic data. The thick plastic front and back covers are typical for RITR products but have reference information printed on the inside that pertains to wind, range estimation, and conversions. Along the edges of the covers are rulers for measuring group sizes in MOA and Mil at both 100 yards and 100 meters, they are NOT inch and cm rulers. On the first couple of pages there are four tables with 52 rows in total to help you log your round counts. Past that, all of the other pages are “logbook” pages with an alternating array of shot data pages and blank “Universal” pattern sheets.

RITR-4-1024x538.jpg
    Inside the covers is useful information for wind and range estimation. The “rulers” are for measuring group sizes.

I actually bought two logbooks, with one of them being destined for my Ruger 10/22 that I use for precision rimfire matches, which happened to show up just in time for the rimfire finale. My first excursion with the new dope book was to the range to check my zero and confirm my drops to 300 yards ahead of the match. The sheets for recording shot data had the obligatory boxes for entering the date, location, and atmospheric info, which took up about a quarter of the page. The rest had four tables, each one with a box to write in the range, elevation, and wind hold, as well as some short notes. The backside of each shot data page was RITR’s “Universal” pattern, which has ¼” spaced solid horizontal lines with dashed vertical lines spaced ¼” to make a sort of grid system. What I liked about this layout was that it allowed me to easily draw in my own targets, enter any additional notes that I wanted, and leave out the info I didn’t need.

RITR-2-854x1024.jpg

This page is a perfect example of “everything you need, nothing you don’t.”

At the range the logbook was very useful but it was also handy at the match itself to help log and track data from individual stages for review later. It helped me note some trends on the longer-range stages, record actual field dope at various ranges, and how certain shooting positions worked out for me. I had completely filled out the front and back of a sheet with little effort and based on the information I gathered I was able to create an accurate data chart from 50 to 318 yards.

RITR-3-858x1024.jpg

IMG_2483.JPG

RITR-5-847x1024.jpg

The Universal grid pattern also made it really easy to draw in targets and plot hits.

RITR-1.jpg

Size comparison next to TAB Gear small rear bag.

The very general nature of the RITR DOPE book makes it a great all around logbook for all sorts of rifles that may not necessarily need a full on modular data book. I'm using this one for my 10/22 and I'll probably use the other one for my Bergara HMR. The price on these aren't too bad either at $9.

Last edited:
    Thanks for this. Been looking for something along these lines. Good reviews on amazon ($11) and there is a hard bound version also. Appears to be a good selection of various sizes and formats.

Curious as to where you got yours as I am not a fan of bezos.

I had an article published recently on two data books that I bought, looking for something that wasn't as complex and expensive as a traditional data book but still provided a structured format for data collection. I picked up a Rite In The Rain logbook and a Storm Tactical pocket rimfire data book. The RITR logbook was probably my favorite one between the two so I'll expound on it a little more here than the ST one. I just felt like the Storm Tactical pocket data book was formatted a little funny, but I think that's because it was built around NRL22 so some of the target types and what not are specific to their match format. That being said, it's not hard to adapt it to other target types and shooting because at the end of the day it's just diamonds, circles, and silhouetts

The DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) logbook is a new offering from Rite In The Rain but they are no strangers to the databook game. For decades they’ve provided the waterproof paper that went into many of the commercial data books out on the market. This is their first in house data book though and I think they’ve done a great job with it. The Rite In The Rain logbook is a simple 4” X 6” notepad with a layout that’s useful and intuitive for collecting ballistic data. The thick plastic front and back covers are typical for RITR products but have reference information printed on the inside that pertains to wind, range estimation, and conversions. Along the edges of the covers are rulers for measuring group sizes in MOA and Mil at both 100 yards and 100 meters, they are NOT inch and cm rulers. On the first couple of pages there are four tables with 52 rows in total to help you log your round counts. Past that, all of the other pages are “logbook” pages with an alternating array of shot data pages and blank “Universal” pattern sheets.

RITR-4-1024x538.jpg
    Inside the covers is useful information for wind and range estimation. The “rulers” are for measuring group sizes.

I actually bought two logbooks, with one of them being destined for my Ruger 10/22 that I use for precision rimfire matches, which happened to show up just in time for the rimfire finale. My first excursion with the new dope book was to the range to check my zero and confirm my drops to 300 yards ahead of the match. The sheets for recording shot data had the obligatory boxes for entering the date, location, and atmospheric info, which took up about a quarter of the page. The rest had four tables, each one with a box to write in the range, elevation, and wind hold, as well as some short notes. The backside of each shot data page was RITR’s “Universal” pattern, which has ¼” spaced solid horizontal lines with dashed vertical lines spaced ¼” to make a sort of grid system. What I liked about this layout was that it allowed me to easily draw in my own targets, enter any additional notes that I wanted, and leave out the info I didn’t need.

RITR-2-854x1024.jpg

This page is a perfect example of “everything you need, nothing you don’t.”

At the range the logbook was very useful but it was also handy at the match itself to help log and track data from individual stages for review later. It helped me note some trends on the longer-range stages, record actual field dope at various ranges, and how certain shooting positions worked out for me. I had completely filled out the front and back of a sheet with little effort and based on the information I gathered I was able to create an accurate data chart from 50 to 318 yards.

RITR-3-858x1024.jpg

View attachment 7555553
    RITR-5-847x1024.jpg

The Universal grid pattern also made it really easy to draw in targets and plot hits.

View attachment 7555549
    Size comparison next to TAB Gear small rear bag.

The very general nature of the RITR DOPE book makes it a great all around logbook for all sorts of rifles that may not necessarily need a full on modular data book. I'm using this one for my 10/22 and I'll probably use the other one for my Bergara HMR. The price on these aren't too bad either at $9.

I too have bought the RIR DOPE log. I never could understand the use for all the data and sheets in most DOPE books aside from separating me from some money.

nice, simple, clear, good quality, reasonable price

I've been using their regular 6 x 4 notebooks for sometime, had no idea they had these. Ordered a couple, they'll fit right in my existing cover.
    Thanks

I bought the RITR book a couple weeks ago and love it. Waterproof and can write on it with pen or pencil. It’s got wind charts, ranging formulas etc. Very simplistic but has all I need. I’m going to order a couple more.

I think a lot of people are going to like this. I used the regular RIR notebooks as well for quite a while. I tried switching to a quality "formal" data book, but it always felt very constrictive. These RIR dope books are the perfect compromise.

I think a lot of people are going to like this. I used the regular RIR notebooks as well for quite a while. I tried switching to a quality "formal" data book, but it always felt very constrictive. These RIR dope books are the perfect compromise.

As someone who is just getting into the technical side of precision LR shooting, I can relate to your comment about data books being constrictive. I still don’t know exactly what data I will be tracking for my intended usage (hunting) and this RITR book seems “casual” enough for me.

Reactions: Schütze
    Love their products...Love that they are made in USA.

I still use Impact style DBs (with RITR pages) but they contain a RITR notebook, pens and mechanical pencils.

I buy direct from the site.

Their stuff is fairly priced.....any extra cost is worth it to support Made in USA.

I bought 6 of the RITR books when they first came out so they could be dedicated to individual rifles. They are a handy size and great in the field. I've used the IMPACT books in the past but it is just too bulky to lug around for my tastes. The RITR has served me well.

I bought 6 of the RITR books when they first came out so they could be dedicated to individual rifles. They are a handy size and great in the field. I've used the IMPACT books in the past but it is just too bulky to lug around for my tastes. The RITR has served me well.
    Same. I was using the Impact books as well. I even went with the smaller size to trim it down. When I'm by myself (and therefore don't need my spotting gear), I try to keep everything I need contained to a rifle bag and a backpack.

These look handy. I have nice a nice data book and pages from Impact, but I end up using the small rite in rain notepad I keep in my car visor more often at the range, then add that info to my main data book later.

Just picked up some loose-leaf paper, binder and cover to come up with a custom dope book. I like having a few "projects" cooking to entertain my occasionally hyperactive brain. If it's your first order and you sign up for their email they'll send you a 15% off code.

Reactions: Bob2650
    I’ve been using the RITR stuff for work for quite some time but I had no idea they had DOPE books.

Just placed an order, got free shipping and saved $10 with the promo code!

Thanks for posting

Reactions: greentick
    just got this email....

1637437912514.png

This sucks.

The manufacturer of the No. 99 pencil is USA based. All my data books contain a standard and red number 99.

Guessing the American business is shutting down.

The other Rite in the Rain offering is made of Chinavirus