• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

warnera1102

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2020
I have seen the L3/L6 on social media but has anyone put hands on one?
The optical zoom seems to be a pretty nice option. I have never heard of RIX.

Reactions: SCGunner84
Ive been looking a new thermal and the price range of the L3 has caught my attention. I just would like some hands on comparison reviews.
Yea I’m interested in a second thermal to go along with my Bering Hogster 35

Ever use a Thermal Monocular along with your Thermal Scope? Athlon makes a good one and I saw the Cronus 35M - 400 on another site for $1000. I've never used either.

Ever use a Thermal Monocular along with your Thermal Scope? Athlon makes a good one and I saw the Cronus 35M - 400 on another site for $1000. I've never used either.
Right now I am running NV to which I want to switch to thermals, my buddy has a cheap monocular I have been using for spotting.

How does the "cheap" monocular work for you? I'd think it'd be a necessity.

Advertisement say's..
..." includes a zoom group comprising multiple floating lenses. By simply adjusting the position of this zoom group within the lens, we can change the focal length of the eyepiece, allowing for an altered visible range on the display screen ."

So . 'basically' what they saying is... ???
you have added a mechanical lens magnification scope, inside a Thermal scopes Ocular end. That is viewing and magnifying the image of the digital thermals display screen ?

That’s correct. They are deliberately misusing the term “optical zoom.“ Everyone else in the world understands that to mean that there are moving lens elements in the objective that change the base magnification of the system. They have simply made a standard thermal weapon sight with, essentially, an adjustable magnifying glass in the eyepiece. It’s like a clip-on with a built-in LPVO behind it. This will pixellate at high mag, and probably worse than a dedicated clip-on system.

Reactions: jwramp and Capt45
That’s correct. They are deliberately misusing the term “optical zoom.“ Everyone else in the world understands that to mean that there are moving lens elements in the objective that change the base magnification of the system. They have simply made a standard thermal weapon sight with, essentially, an adjustable magnifying glass in the eyepiece. It’s like a clip-on with a built-in LPVO behind it. This will pixellate at high mag, and probably worse than a dedicated clip-on system.
Exactly.
I'm not sure how the internals worked on the old AN/PAS-13B scopes, but simply twisting the FOV ring seemed to allow two different focal lengths on the objective lens side of things. That was 20ish years ago. I've used those devices pretty extensively and, aside from their bulkiness and not-so-smooth image processing, they worked and did their thing well. Having ~10x optical magnification on a thermal that, with the riser, can be mounted to a rifle was and is pretty amazing. The same optic would do ~3x optical with a simple rotation of the FOV ring (yes, you have to zero both FOV settings otherwise you aren't hitting shit, but it's still doable and the zeros are saved). I wonder why that same type of design hasn't found itself into the civilian world. The thought of that type of variable optical magnification on a modern 12 um, low NETD, 640x480+ sensor and smooth image processing makes me... moist. Maybe it was because the 13B was MWIR or maybe it was just a flawed design and I just never knew it?

Reactions: warnera1102
Just picked a L6 up to demo and it’s an impressive unit for the money. There is a definite difference compared to my TH50C V2.

I love the first focal magnification and the fact it uses a 18650 battery. It’s living on my 7SAUM right now and we’ll see how it holds up.
75AA5A88-BFF6-4CF7-9AFB-5701373CB126.jpeg
4430ADF4-FF97-4D8F-8F09-66BB94B3655F.jpeg

Reactions: B-P-UU
Just picked a L6 up to demo and it’s an impressive unit for the money. There is a definite difference compared to my TH50C V2.

I love the first focal magnification and the fact it uses a 18650 battery. It’s living on my 7SAUM right now and we’ll see how it holds up.

Could you give a comparison to your TH50C V2? I've got a TL35 V2 as my first thermal and been wanting to pick up another thermal so I can take buddies out for yotes at night.

I love the first focal magnification and the fact it uses a 18650 battery. It’s living on my 7SAUM right now and we’ll see how it holds up.View attachment 8316218View attachment 8316219
Thanks for the info..
TL35, TH50, and the L6 are 3 I'm looking at. Interested in more details on the TH50 vs. L6 if you don't mind elaborating.

th50 definitely has the better image. I had 4 coyotes on a carcass and I could barely make out where each one was since they were next to each other where as with the TH50 I can clearly differentiate each one.

As far as controls goes, I actually prefer the buttons on the TH50. The L6 uses each turret for a different function and I find myself having to shift my hands more.

th50 definitely has the better image. I had 4 coyotes on a carcass and I could barely make out where each one was since they were next to each other where as with the TH50 I can clearly differentiate each one.

As far as controls goes, I actually prefer the buttons on the TH50. The L6 uses each turret for a different function and I find myself having to shift my hands more.
Good feedback, thanks!

Intriguing….watched a couple Youtube videos which were neat….but the weight! At 2.6 pounds it is a beast. Plus add a mount to that (???). Hopefully they can figure out a way to shed some ounces in future models.

This ^

TH50c for sure. Had a V1 and now have a V2, they’re great.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ll take the L6 at 3800 over the TL35 at the normal price of 3300 any day of the week. It’s a great unit for the price and ultimately it’ll be up to the end user if they are willing to pay the extra 1700 for the th50

I like the 18650 battery and Magnifying options of the L3/L6, but was wondering how easy it is to start recording with them and if the dials on the L3/L6 will effect the scope if their turned or pressed accidentally ?
AGM had that issue with the Adder line, but fixed it with a firmware update.

SJC

Recording is easy, just tap the left button once, but my video from last night was corrupted. 18650 is nice, but better make sure the latch is fully engaged. First shot the unit went dead and noticed the battery lid had popped open.

I bought the Rix L6 and the Rix lrf for it. What would you like to know?