• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

RL-15 .223 bolt gun question

JamieD

Wolf Precision, Inc.
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
Johnstown,pa
www.wolfprecision.net
I posted this question in part of another thread but wanted to ask it outright on the forum to get some more feedback.

Question on th RL-15. I'm running the 75 A-max with .223 bolt gun - the RL-15 outshot Varget with lower SD. With varget I got the SD's down but still getting inconsistant vertical stringing - somthing I'm not getting with the RL. I have no experiance with RL-15 and want to know if there are any quirks with it (temp, lot to lot problems and so on). I want to run it to 1000 in comps so any feedback would be awsome.

Thanks,
JamieD

Re: RL-15 .223 bolt gun question

RL 15 seemed to be more susceptible to temp swings than Varget. I started with Varget, tried RL-15, and have since moved back to Varget.

This is with 308 / 190's.

I have not experienced any such problems with RE15 in .223.

In general, I find the accuracy nodes narrower and harder to find with RE15 than Varget, in both .223 and .308. The only hiccup with RE15 in .223 is that the MOST accurate load I ever tested - 26grs with an 80 - blew one in nine primers and was WAY too hot.

I shoot 24.5 RE15 behind 80grain JLK's at 1000 and have had no pressure problems or temperature sensitivity problems on hot days.

For a time I switched to H4895, 24.0 grs with an 80JLK, and got 25fps more velocity than the above RE15 load, with the same accuracy and at safe pressures.

At 1000, I now use H4895 with 80 SMK's and RE15 for 80JLK's.

Thanks,
It seems 25.1 grains of RL-15 shines with no stringing and low SD. I'm going to keep playing around with it this week and hopefully make a final decision and go with it.

Thanks for the imput,
Jamie

RL15 is a fine powder at moderate volumes and pressures. I cannot push it as hard as I can VV N-140 without seeing pressure signs in an AR. I've run it behind the 75 AMAX with great results at 600 yards. As long as you don't "hot rod" it too much it is a fine powder. I found SD and ES to settle down with it with moderately hot loads over lower velocity loads with the 77 SMK, meaning heat it up a bit (be in the 24's not 23's) but just don't hot rod it (25's) and it worked great. I suspect in a bolt gun you can be in the low 25's and will confirm this fall when my 223 fast twist bolt gun is done.

Lot to lot - I don't care what powder it is, I chrono test it compared to the old lot and figure out what amount delivers the same velocity. That becomes my baseline for volume/weight using the new lot.

RL15 throws a lot more consistently in my RFD measure than the Varget does.

Thanks NineHotel,
Going to the range to do some more testing tonight. I think RL is going to be the powder for this gun. I'll post some results when compared to Varget.

JamieD

RL15 does really well in a .223 with 60gr and heavier bullets.

i'm using 25.4 gr of rel-15 with 77 gr lapua scenars and getting very good results out to 500 yards loaded at mag length [2.260" coal] in my tikka t3 bolt gun