• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL-15 for .55gr .223 loads?

WolverineAtWork

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2007
I picked up the last 5lb jug of Reloader-15 at my local GS thinking that I could replace the scarce BLC(2) as my plinking/practice load in the AR. Well, it turns out that RL15 is apparently used for heavier bullets, but I have seen a few folks using it for 55gr rounds.

Anyone have any experience using RL15 for 55gr projos in an AR? I've got a line on a jug of RL-10X as a backup. Worst case, I can use the RL-15 for my .308.

Re: RL-15 for .55gr .223 loads?

One other question. How do RL-15 and RL-10X meter through a Dillon 55B?

I have only used RL15 with 77gr pills out of .223 (24-24.5 grains)

While it meters better than Varget, its not as good as a ball powder like Ramshot TAC out of my dillon.

It is a relatively small extruded powder and I had good metering with it in my Dillon powder measure with .223. I loaded it under 69 grain SMKs.

Save the Re15 for heavier bullets or match use and get some ball powder like AA2230 or Ramshot Tac and have at it. They meter better and do work very well with little 55s....and, cheaper, especially if you can snag some as "data powder".

John

Have the surplus powder sources dried up now as well? I've still got a couple of jugs of surplus Winchester ball powders that are used to load like H335 and BL-C(2).

I purchased these on line a few years back very reasonbly for AR-15 reloading. They work great.