• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL-15 in the '06 Anyone using it?

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
I just got back from the range, very blustery. I went with the intention of practicing in the wind with the 223, I shot the 300 win and the '06 also. I tried 47 gr of RL-15 in rem brass and a SGK 165 HPBT and WOW. Two 5 shot groups @ 100 made a very small hole both times. I only had 10 rds loaded, didn't get the chrono out, but it shot better than it ever has. Anyone using it? Thanks

Re: RL-15 in the '06 Anyone using it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just got back from the range, very blustery. I went with the intention of practicing in the wind with the 223, I shot the 300 win and the '06 also. I tried 47 gr of RL-15 in rem brass and a SGK 165 HPBT and WOW. Two 5 shot groups @ 100 made a very small hole both times. I only had 10 rds loaded, didn't get the chrono out, but it shot better than it ever has. Anyone using it? Thanks </div></div>

Wow, I'm interested. I've been using BLC-2 a lot, I have some RL22 and 208 Amax on the way to try out based on the results from what Mt. Marine has gotten.

My rifle doesn't like 168's with BLC-2 or 4320 but it might be worth trying some RL15 if that's how yours did. What's the twist, and how full was the case from that charge?

I use a bunch of RL19 but never tried 15. I tried some Varget which has a similar burn rate to 15 a couple times but no dice. The slower powders like RL19 seem to fill the case better IMO. But if it works and is repeatable then congrats.

Case wasn't full but it was above the shoulder. I didn't measure oal or coal.Brass was PFL re-sized and I felt some resistance when I closed the bolt. I bought this rifle for $180 bucks two years ago. It is a Savage 110 w/1-10" twist. I played with the factory stock, stiffened it, lengthened LOP and then bedded it. It wears a Nikon Tactical 2.5 X 10 on picatinny rail w/burris extreme tactical rings. It is my whitetail rifle. I originally bought it as a donor action for a 6.5 X 55 butit shoots so well, I am keeping it as is. Next trip I will chrono.