• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL-15 made in USA??? Since when

Falar

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Midland, TX
I just picked up 15lbs of this and was dismayed to see "Made in USA" on the label. If this is true then this no longer the same powder it was (Norma R203-B made by Bofors) and would explain why when I googled this just now people are reporting lower velocites with the "new" powder.

Any experience with this version of RL15?

Re: RL-15 made in USA??? Since when

Had to be pretty recent I just checked mine that is a couple weeks old. "Made in Sweden for Alliant Powder"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up 15lbs of this and was dismayed to see "Made in USA" on the label. If this is true then this no longer the same powder it was (Norma R203-B made by Bofors) and would explain why when I googled this just now people are reporting lower velocites with the "new" powder.

Any experience with this version of RL15? </div></div>

About a year ago, we started seeing mixed origin RL-15.

Chris

My most recent 5lbs Jug also states made in the USA on the label.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tol ju to keep dee Varget! </div></div>

Its ok. I just ordered 22lbs of N203-B. Will either keep this stuff for plinking loads or sell it. Googling "Reloder 15 Made in USA" brings reports of inconsistency, dirtiness, and lower velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tol ju to keep dee Varget! </div></div>

Its ok. I just ordered 22lbs of N203-B. Will either keep this stuff for plinking loads or sell it. Googling "Reloder 15 Made in USA" brings reports of inconsistency, dirtiness, and lower velocity. </div></div>

It's a shame if that's true. I'd be more interested in RL-15 BECAUSE it is made in the USA. Maybe someone could do some objective side by side testing to see if the USA made powder is inferior in any way.

Just great. My gun hates varget and shoots lights out with RL15 and I only have a pound left. Does anyone have any info on this? My powder is not made in the usa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had to be pretty recent I just checked mine that is a couple weeks old. "Made in Sweden for Alliant Powder" </div></div>

Thought you guys could make powder over there, to bad commercial interests have been at hand with the good old Norma 203-B,

it has always been a good go to powder back here, I do sort of wonder if the whole production has gone stateside and sour or just the bulkpart that you guys buy?

/Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had to be pretty recent I just checked mine that is a couple weeks old. "Made in Sweden for Alliant Powder" </div></div>

Thought you guys could make powder over there, to bad commercial interests have been at hand with the good old Norma 203-B,

it has always been a good go to powder back here, I do sort of wonder if the whole production has gone stateside and sour or just the bulkpart that you guys buy?

/Chris </div></div>

Maybe you can help me with this.....

Does Norma still sell R123? It isn't on their website anymore and looks like at the very least they stopped bringing it in to this country. Running calcs in QL it looks like it would be the best powder for high velocity 230gr .45 ACP loads and for .44 Magnum. It is a shame I can't find any to test.

Depending on where you live, RL-15 is made in USA. Around here (Commonwealth of VA), the powder is made in Radford VA.

My VA-made RL-15 shoots great.

I picked up 30lbs of RL15 in the summer of 2009.It was all made in the USA.The made date on them are May 01 2008.My velocites were a little higher with this powder.In my area the 5,lbs are made in the USA and the 1,lbs are made in Sweden.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tol ju to keep dee Varget! </div></div>

Its ok. I just ordered 22lbs of N203-B. Will either keep this stuff for plinking loads or sell it. Googling "Reloder 15 Made in USA" brings reports of inconsistency, dirtiness, and lower velocity.</div></div>
You are sure finicky with powder, that's about 50lbs of powder you have ordered in the last few months...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up 15lbs of this and was dismayed to see "Made in USA" on the label. If this is true then this no longer the same powder it was (Norma R203-B made by Bofors) and would explain why when I googled this just now people are reporting lower velocites with the "new" powder.

Any experience with this version of RL15? </div></div>

Bummer... Good thing I 10 lbs of the old stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littleeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up 30lbs of RL15 in the summer of 2009.It was all made in the USA.The made date on them are May 01 2008.My velocites were a little higher with this powder.In my area the 5,lbs are made in the USA and the 1,lbs are made in Sweden. </div></div>

Jan 11, 2008, 1# Made In Sweden

Jan 23, 2009, 1# Made In Sweden

Jun 24, 2009, 1# Made In Sweden

Chris