• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report RL 17 in 6XC Report

DRAM40A1

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2007
    S E of Dallas,TX.
    re17003.jpg

re17002.jpg

re17001.jpg

I have been reading about re17 since it came out and how it gives superior velocity so I bought a pound to do testing.
    I loaded one round at a time in 1/2 grain increments from 38.5 to 41 grains. 41 grains gave sticky bolt so I loaded 10 rounds each of 40 and 40.5.
    I set the chrono up today and started with a cold clean bore, I wish I had fouled the bore before chronoing but here are the results. You can see once it settled in after 3 or four rounds it shoots decent. I was shooting off of a hard surface so it should hammer from the bipod on the ground.
    The numbers are pretty impressive to me as I have been using H4350 for an average of 2958 with 40 grains. I will load up 50 or so and test at Nacona steel plate match March 4th.......
    I shot the 40.5 grain load first and then the 40 grain. Notice the 3.31 SD on the 40 grain load. This is with an RCBS Range Master 750.LOL.

Re: RL 17 in 6XC Report

If you were shooting at your grocery receipt, you totally missed...

I have had similar results with Re17. But, I did run it at 600 once and got some sporadic results/shots, etc. Still have some further testing to do. But, velocity certainly seems to be there!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you were shooting at your grocery receipt, you totally missed... </div></div>
    LMAO, that is actually my electric bill.LOL or is it my gas bill.hehehe. My grocery bill is far less than my shooting bill, Ramen and MRE's are cheap compared to brass, boolits, primers, and powder. Gotta keep my priorities in order ya know.....

Been running H4350 in mine. 38.0 to 38.5 with the 105 vld's, 3,050 fps. The other XC's that are being shot around here are also running H4350, with the 115's as well, 2,975fps.

I have about 30 lbs of H4350 so I don't think I will be switching too soon. The added velocity only gains .7 mills elevation and .1 mill windage on paper according to JBM. I just wanted to see for myself the gains in velocity with RE17.

I bought a pound of 17 to experiment with in my .243, but I doubt I'll get around to it anytime soon....

I hate load development.

I do it in my back yard, so no biggy. I do hate draggin out the chrono, runnin cord and then having to put it all back up. It wastes all of 10 minutes I could be drinkin beer......hehehe.

Closest place for me is a public range 45 min away... Total pain in my ass....

You obviosly live in the wrong place as a shooter.hehehe. Private ranges are the shit bro. From where I sit right now, my shooting position is all of 15 feet.LOL

A little off topic, but how are you supporting the rear of the rifle during your testing? The reason I ask is that pretty all of my groups from my T2K looked like your sample group (about twice as much horizontal dispersion as vertical) until I figured out how to keep the rear support completely in line with the centerline.

Another question: Have you tested RL 17 at different temperatures? I have heard rumors it exhibits much more temperature induced velocity changes than H4350...

Cheers,

DC

I use a soft rear bag under the pinch block on the buttstock. Actually, after the moly settled back in the barrel, there were seven rounds well under .5 moa. I had cleaned the barrel and it takes a few rounds to get in the groove. LOL. I have done no other testing with RE17. My normal load uses H4350.