• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL-50 and the .300WM

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I emailed Berger for some data for their new 230gr. OTM Hybrid bullet snd they emailed me back with some data they used with quickload.

I noticed they had a max load of 85.1gr. of RL-50 with the 230gr. OTM and it was pushing close to 2800fps!

First, I dont know how you would fit 85gr. of powder in a case without it being really compressed. I think it said 109%" case fill.

Has anyone tried or used RL-50 with the. 300wm?

Re: RL-50 and the .300WM

LR,

I have not tried RL50 in my WM, but I can tell you that we are in the process of building a 300WM for my son that will be chambered with a very long throat to get the 225's and 230's out of the powder column. We're looking at around 3.7" COAL which makes a lot more room for powder, so the question I would ask is, "What COAL was that load developed for?"

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LR,

I have not tried RL50 in my WM, but I can tell you that we are in the process of building a 300WM for my son that will be chambered with a very long throat to get the 225's and 230's out of the powder column. We're looking at around 3.7" COAL which makes a lot more room for powder, so the question I would ask is, <span style="font-weight: bold">"What COAL was that load developed for?" </span>John </div></div>

26" Barrel
3.340 COAL

The max velocity with a max charge of 85.1grs. of RL-50 is 2,796fps (109% fill ratio)
The max velocity with a max charge of 76.5grs. of Retumbo is 2,764 fps (106% fill ratio)
The max velocity with a max charge of 72.9grs. of H-1000 is 2,711fps (103% fill ratio)
The max velocity with a max charge of 67.9grs. of RL-22 is 2,700fps (94.0% fill ratio)

109% means that the load is compressed. Depending upon what load length you're going to work with you will get a lot less compression if you run them out more.

I think you're going to end up about 3.6" with that bullet even if you have a short throat.

I've been harping on this concept for more than a year. "Try slower powders with 100-105% capacity"

H1000 is a great powder though a little fast IMO for that bullet weight. Retumbo is something else to look at too, it should get you down to 98-102% fill depending on what brass you're using and it is much more temp stable than RL50