• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL33 for 7mm Rem Mag

RNWRKNP

Sophisticated Redneck
Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2017
    PHX, AZ
    Is anybody using RL33 for the 7mag application and if so what’s working for you. I’ve gone through the forum but didn’t come acrost it. Thanks in advance for your input.

After our conversation, interested as well. Would love to hear what people are seeing.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    I did a little bit of experimenting with 180 Bergers. I got up to almost 80 grains of powder with no pressure, but I was severely crunching powder and velocity was lower than Retumbo or RL25. I now use Retumbo for the 180s and am very happy with the results.

Reactions: RNWRKNP and 1J04
    What little bit I’ve tried it was a tad to slow for the 7RM. Wasn’t getting 100% burn rate and velocities were a little slower than RL26.

You are better off with RL25,26, Retumbo, or H1000.

Well it's looking like this will be a no, and I'm more than fine with that. Haven't started the 180 load yet which I'm leaning towards H1000 for those, and my go to RL22 for the 168's outta the other 2 7's is gonna remain in place. ;)

What little bit I’ve tried it was a tad to slow for the 7RM. Wasn’t getting 100% burn rate and velocities were a little slower than RL26.

You are better off with RL25,26, Retumbo, or H1000.

Looks like the pound of 33 I bought is going 300 Ultramag. I really appreciate the feedback gentleman?

Reactions: 1J04
    RL33 is an awesome powder for the 338 Lapua and Edge with 285-300gr bullets. Therefore too slow for the 7mmRM. Try Re22/23/26 or H1000.

Ive put a pound or two through my 7mag with no issues until i screwwed around and got a borescope. Holy shiz do I have a carbon ring from hell. Ive been running 180gr range in various mfg bullets, mainly ELDMs, was getting great case fill, no pressure, and 3050fps with single digit sd's. Not entirely sure on rl33 being the culprit on the carbon fouling, but now my work is cut out for me in removing the ring/fouling and experimenting with retumbo or rl26 maybe.

Attachments

• 26EF184F-0DC4-4958-8F14-05848E8F9962.jpeg
      26EF184F-0DC4-4958-8F14-05848E8F9962.jpeg
      81.8 KB · Views: 53
    Ive put a pound or two through my 7mag with no issues until i screwwed around and got a borescope. Holy shiz do I have a carbon ring from hell. Ive been running 180gr range in various mfg bullets, mainly ELDMs, was getting great case fill, no pressure, and 3050fps with single digit sd's. Not entirely sure on rl33 being the culprit on the carbon fouling, but now my work is cut out for me in removing the ring/fouling and experimenting with retumbo or rl26 maybe.
    Buy yourself some Boretech C4, carbon dissolver, works good. I thought you had posted this pic elsewhere here, you also may need some JB paste, please ask for assistance before you start using it. You very well have hard carbon laid in that area.

Reactions: RNWRKNP and mahlv
    Buy yourself some Boretech C4, carbon dissolver, works good. I thought you had posted this pic elsewhere here, you also may need some JB paste, please ask for assistance before you start using it. You very well have hard carbon laid in that area.

Ya I started a thread in the exterior ballistics area, and then got to searching rl33 and issues with fouling and this thread hit. Definitely going to try avoiding abrasives at first, so thanks for the heads up on the c4, just ordered a small bottle.

I’m sure this will be one of my many hard learned lessons and won’t forget it once I get this rifle straight. I’m grateful that I found it prior to depending on the dam thing and have it fail, it shoots great.... or “shot” great! I’m not taking it anywhere until this is fixed.

Ya I started a thread in the exterior ballistics area, and then got to searching rl33 and issues with fouling and this thread hit. Definitely going to try avoiding abrasives at first, so thanks for the heads up on the c4, just ordered a small bottle.

I’m sure this will be one of my many hard learned lessons and won’t forget it once I get this rifle straight. I’m grateful that I found it prior to depending on the dam thing and have it fail, it shoots great.... or “shot” great! I’m not taking it anywhere until this is fixed.
    I said the same about abrasives until I started using RL 16, routine today.

Reactions: mahlv