• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos RMJ Jenny Wren

RollingThunder51

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
U.S.A.
Hawks run hot and cold here at the hide. Some folks love them and some folks don't. I always had an appreciation for them since back in the '60s when Bill Johnson of Golden Age out of Delaware sold me my first pole axe. That came after I saw my first hawk as I turned to see what the hell a friend had just done. He had sunk his hawk into a tree as a rifle rest. Rock solid. About a decade ago I first spoke with Ryan Johnson, a most remarkable and then quite young, 28. Ryan had started out operating under the pure passion and fixation of early hawk designs and in the beginning fashioned hawks for museum, collectors and woodsman. Ryan had a vision for a design that ended up being the first military contract extended for a fighting tomahawk since the revolutionary war. Eventually that design went on to be the Talon. Col. Stephen Bucci, the personal assistant to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, agreed and became a dedicated and encouraging advocate. Those of us saw immediately that hawks were coming back strong. Ryan went on to manufacturing a whole host of designs, each one a dedicated and focused solution to what the users saw as a need, a need accomplished by a tomahawk. Now, a decade later and with the Talon, the Crash Axe, the Kestral, the Shrike, the Loggerhead, the S13, comes a new a remarkable new design, the Jenny Wren. At only 14ozs (!) and consisting of a head of S7 hardened to 55rc and an interlocking G10 handle design, things have really come a long way. Details include handle reliefs to guide the hand in low light. Duracoat shot and Kydex sheathed in three variations, this is shoulder hang with the strap behind the back and neck. Here are a few shots of a rarely seen variant. Light, fast and small (11 1/2") designed at the request of speed teams. For those that can, enjoy a look at the Jenny Wren.

Re: RMJ Jenny Wren

Excellent! Love a good tomahawk.

Are you worried at all about head seperation of the two materials over time?

I've had my eye on a Shrike for a few years now, RMJ is good to go. Thanks for posting this

96C, it appears that the head fits in the G10 handle by interlocking with three independent and interlocking sections. There are at least nine rivets. From what I know this design is for medium duty in a world where heavy duty is breaking cider blocks and cowlings. 100% Lifetime Guarantee against breakage.

From RMJ...

"The Jenny Wren was a requested hawk. Customers in question wanted something with the same real estate and weight as a combat knife but with the physics advantage of a hawk. The original request was for a hawk dedicated to CQC but with the capability to do light breaching. As it was put to me, "make it fit in a college kid's spiral bound notebook". In other words, a "HIPS" hawk.

The head is S-7. I love S-7 for the toothy edge it takes. The core of the handle is G-10 and it dovetails into the steel of the head like a puzzle piece. The handles that overlay over this are G-10 and they are held in place a few different ways: Hardened ground 4140 dowel pins go through all three layers: handle overlays, core and steel. Hardened ground screw sets go through all three layers. Linen micarta thickwall tubing goes through the handle layers providing multiple lanyard options and strength. The whole thing is glued together with a toughened, impact modified epoxy.

I and others have done some pretty extensive testing with the hawks - mainly unglued to ensure that nothing loosens by themselves. I've cut a 55 gal oil drum to pieces with a hammer version.

The Jenny Wren maximizes cutting potential while minimizing footprint and weight. As Warfighters struggle with ever increasing combat loads, pushing the weight vs. effectiveness envelope becomes that much more important for those designing/building gear. -RMJ"

All business. Thanks for the post. I have several hatchets and small axes, but that is a great example of a purpose driven tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTHRUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much are these? </div></div>

Arizona Knives shows them as no longer available. But the price is $575.
smirk.gif

That would be the most expensive I have heard of. Though these are expensive, the majority of them never see the light of day as they go directly to the services at a greatly reduced cost. Those that do show up have been in the $350-450 range. The very first request came from an American serviceman working in the American embassy in Egypt. He wanted something that he could carry inside his suit coat. Hanging below the shoulder the handle will just reach the waist belt.

primitive tech for the modern fighter...Hawks are awesome..This is KILLER!!!!