• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Road Bikers Unite!

Cowpokey

MSgt, USAF Ret
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2020
    Bel Air, MD
    If I have this on the back of my Jeep...can I run stop lights as if I'm riding it? Can I just ignore all traffic laws in general?

1706985983877.jpeg

I've been a roadie for a long time; but took about a decade off due to laziness, and figuring riding my Harley(s) was good enough for two wheels. Just got back to pedaling again a few months ago...have been on the trainer since I got it. Was taking it to the bike shop today to get the stem cut down and handle bars dropped (slammed) to where they should be, didn't want to have that done when I bought it because I wasn't sure if being old would let me hunch over enough.

Come on fuckers, don't let The Hide make you skeer'd to show off your stuff.

If I have this on the back of my Jeep...can I run stop lights as if I'm riding it? Can I just ignore all traffic laws in general?

View attachment 8339995

I've been a roadie for a long time; but took about a decade off due to laziness, and figuring riding my Harley(s) was good enough for two wheels. Just got back to pedaling again a few months ago...have been on the trainer since I got it. Was taking it to the bike shop today to get the stem cut down and handle bars dropped (slammed) to where they should be, didn't want to have that done when I bought it because I wasn't sure if being old would let me hunch over enough.

Come on fuckers, don't let The Hide make you skeer'd to show off your stuff.

25mkz5.jpg

I gave up my road bike........ for a gravel bike(Cannondale slate). I dont think ill ever go back but I also have a lot of dirt paths and fire roads where i live.

Biking is for the trails. Even then it's only for the ones they won't let me take things with a motor on.

There's 5, 2 stroke off-road vehicles of great fun in my garage and only 1 mountain bike...

I can only hope that the children of some of the respondents to this thread take up road biking. Then their parents will learn how "funny" their responses were.

I was a road biker for a long time. Did about 2,500 miles a year for years on end while working full-time. Yeah, road bikers do a lot of shit; no two ways about it. Some of it is downright bad and some of it is simply trying to survive the hazards of the road and the idiots who are driving cars. Maybe you ought to try putting yourself in our shoes.

You can rag on me if you want but in addition to driving a car for years, I was also a tractor trailer driver - I take my driving very seriously.

I gave up my road bike........ for a gravel bike(Cannondale slate). I dont think ill ever go back but I also have a lot of dirt paths and fire roads where i live.
    That's the exact opposite of where I am outside DC. Lots of roads, very few of them are anything but paved.

The shop where I'm working now has more gravel than near home which is nice. I'm learning my way around by navigating past rides.

M

Reactions: Cowpokey
    I was just trying to go to work, I wasn’t trying to kill some stupid fuck on a bike.

I'll be getting MTB in the next couple months also. Not sure what the trail situation is around here, yet. I know there's some good single track stuff south of Baltimore, there should be some good stuff up here in the Susquehanna River valley. Road biking is definitely better up here than down there.

I can only hope that the children of some of the respondents to this thread take up road biking. Then their parents will learn how "funny" their responses were.

I was a road biker for a long time. Did about 2,500 miles a year for years on end while working full-time. Yeah, road bikers do a lot of shit; no two ways about it. Some of it is downright bad and some of it is simply trying to survive the hazards of the road and the idiots who are driving cars. Maybe you ought to try putting yourself in our shoes.

You can rag on me if you want but in addition to driving a car for years, I was also a tractor trailer driver - I take my driving very seriously.

I cycle on the road in an urban environment all the time. I never have any issues with cars. I treat them like stupid bulls that will gore or run me down at any moment. I do not have an inferiority/Napoleon complex and act accordingly. I have one goal, to get from point A to point B alive. I go with the flow and have nothing to prove. I follow the rules of the road and let cars know what my next move is…….

So you're telling us you're special?

What I really hate is the idiots riding bikes down the highway, in a 70mph zone with no shoulder. Then they get all pissy when I pop over a hill and they almost get smoked riding in the traffic lane 30-60mph slower than the traffic.

No asswipe, not saying I (we) are special. And I'd agree with you that riding down a highway with no shoulder is ABSOLUTELY stupid. I'd never do it. I used to pick my routes so as to avoid heavily travelled roads. But there are times when a rider will find themselves with no other route than a shoulderless road.

We pay taxes to maintain the roads you're driving your car (well, probably a pick up truck) on. We have rights to that road too. Some riders think they have a right to do stupid things. I can't agree with them. Why would I, riding a 17 pound bike, deliberately pick a fight with someone in a nearly 4,000lb vehicle? Sometimes it's necessary to move out from the side of the road to avoid potholes or broken glass or debris - gee, that probably never occurred to you did it? I don't think it's sane to try and prove a point to my right to the road by riding down the center of the lane thereby placing myself squarely in the crosshairs of some moron talking on the phone or talking to the kids or driving with a dog on their laps.

And bigfatcock (what a stupid id) I really hope you ride a motorcycle or something similar. Maybe you'll get a taste of what we deal with.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: jmp1
    I cycle on the road in an urban environment all the time. I never have any issues with cars. I treat them like stupid bulls that will gore or run me down at any moment. I do not have an inferiority/Napoleon complex and act accordingly. I have one goal, to get from point A to point B alive. I go with the flow and have nothing to prove. I follow the rules of the road and let cars know what my next move is…….
    Reminds me of a friend who used to ride motorcycles a lot back in the late 70's and early 80's.

He said that if you treat every car out there like it is out to get you, you will be properly aware. Sure, there are malicious people. But most people are just half brain dead and don't see the biker. I have watched a video where a woman driving a car got into an accident with a motorcycle and she did not see it because she blocks it out of her mind.

I read a report on motorcycle accidents. Many times, a rider can survive the fall off the bike. Depends.

First accident that impacts the bike or rider may injure some. More injuries happen when landing on the surface and other obstacles. But the worst injuries can happen in the third step when other vehicles get involved. So, my friend would twist the throttle and get way ahead or drop behind packs of cars.

Reactions: Holliday
    Reminds me of a friend who used to ride motorcycles a lot back in the late 70's and early 80's.

He said that if you treat every car out there like it is out to get you, you will be properly aware. Sure, there are malicious people. But most people are just half brain dead and don't see the biker. I have watched a video where a woman driving a car got into an accident with a motorcycle and she did not see it because she blocks it out of her mind.

I read a report on motorcycle accidents. Many times, a rider can survive the fall off the bike. Depends.

First accident that impacts the bike or rider may injure some. More injuries happen when landing on the surface and other obstacles. But the worst injuries can happen in the third step when other vehicles get involved. So, my friend would twist the throttle and get way ahead or drop behind packs of cars.

I am in the motorcycle industry for a living and have over 150k in the saddle. I am also blind in one eye. This gives the game some spice…..

I always tell fellow bikers “Every accident is your fault. That’s your mindset. Being in the right, doesn’t make you less dead”. “Running with the bulls”……..

I also tell bikers if you are hit and you are on the ground your only thought should be “What is going to hit me next??” . Get clear of the road. A lot of bikers survive the accident only to die by being hit by another car.

I advocate carrying a pocket flashlight with a bright strobe. Nothing gets attention like a white strobe.

So yeah I carry that mindset over when I’m a cyclist.

Reactions: Modoc and Ronws
    I'll be getting MTB in the next couple months also. Not sure what the trail situation is around here, yet. I know there's some good single track stuff south of Baltimore, there should be some good stuff up here in the Susquehanna River valley. Road biking is definitely better up here than down there.
    Still lots of freeze/thaw conditions in the woods right now, so I'd plan on holding off mtn biking till the weather stabilizes.

and a question: how can one ride in a 2.5hr loop and have a headwind the entire way?

M

Reactions: Modoc and Cowpokey
    Still lots of freeze/thaw conditions in the woods right now, so I'd plan on holding off mtn biking till the weather stabilizes.

and a question: how can one ride in a 2.5hr loop and have a headwind the entire way?

M
    So that's happened to you too?

I am in the motorcycle industry for a living and have over 150k in the saddle. I am also blind in one eye. This gives the game some spice…..

I always tell fellow bikers “Every accident is your fault. That’s your mindset. Being in the right, doesn’t make you less dead”. “Running with the bulls”……..

I also tell bikers if you are hit and you are on the ground your only thought should be “What is going to hit me next??” . Get clear of the road. A lot of bikers survive the accident only to die by being hit by another car.

I advocate carrying a pocket flashlight with a bright strobe. Nothing gets attention like a white strobe.

So yeah I carry that mindset over when I’m a cyclist.
    My right eye doesn't want to work these days. I've been holding off fixing my BMW R-RT because of that.

Any hints other than 'make sure to scan your surroundings?'

M

So you're telling us you're special?

What I really hate is the idiots riding bikes down the highway, in a 70mph zone with no shoulder. Then they get all pissy when I pop over a hill and they almost get smoked riding in the traffic lane 30-60mph slower than the traffic.
    So let me get this straight: you're outdriving your sightlines and it's the cyclists' fault?

How's that make sense?!

M

So let me get this straight: you're outdriving your sightlines and it's the cyclists' fault?

How's that make sense?!

M

🤣

If you can see over hills and around corners you're the only one.

If I slowed for every corner or hill I'd never get anywhere. Speed limit is 70, and these idiots think riding a bike in the middle of the highway at 20 is a great idea.

Reactions: Yasherka
    My right eye doesn't want to work these days. I've been holding off fixing my BMW R-RT because of that.

Any hints other than 'make sure to scan your surroundings?'

M

One thing I learned is that your brain wants to convince you that you have two eyes still. The visual cortex is an amazing thing but in some cases can fool you. This can be deadly. You have to just be mindful and keep a check on that blind spot.

Getting used to moving your head to scan is probably the most important. You will always have a blind spot but if you set your mirrors right you can see some then lean forward to see more. So two zones: upright, then leaning forward.

Other than that, lots of lighting, loud exhaust and an air horn…..

Stay safe…..

One thing I learned is that your brain wants to convince you that you have two eyes still. The visual cortex is an amazing thing but in some cases can fool you. This can be deadly. You have to just be mindful and keep a check on that blind spot.

Getting used to moving your head to scan is probably the most important. You will always have a blind spot but if you set your mirrors right you can see some then lean forward to see more. So two zones: upright, then leaning forward.

Stay safe…..
    I guess I'll have to get an air horn for my Harley, it already has a loud exhaust. My road bike on the other hand, not sure how I can improve the exhaust, I can only fart so loud.

I guess I'll have to get an air horn for my Harley, it already has a loud exhaust. My road bike on the other hand, not sure how I can improve the exhaust, I can only fart so loud.
    Others exhort us to vote harder, I challenge you to fart harder. Or louder, as the case may be. I cannot give lessons in the sound volume of flatulence but I am a natural born WMD when it comes to the green cloud that kills all within contact.

• Haha

Stay safe…..
    I still sorta have peripheral vision. Sorta. Things are fuzzy, but shapes are 'seen.'

Straight ahead is a grey blur. Light comes in, then bounces around inside the eye, making things worse.

Ahh well. Could be worse

M

Reactions: Holliday
    🤣

If you can see over hills and around corners you're the only one.

If I slowed for every corner or hill I'd never get anywhere. Speed limit is 70, and these idiots think riding a bike in the middle of the highway at 20 is a great idea.
    so what happens if you come over that hill and someone's pulling into their driveway? Mail truck? Cows in the road? Then it's your fault that you plowed into whatever you just hit.

You don't have to slow down much, just enough to not outdrive your sightlines. Should be a simple concept, but it seems to be difficult to comprehend for some.

M

Mike I hope you're left eye dominant. But I guess you are now whether you like it or not.