• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Roanoke Area?

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
Well fellas, just accepted a job offer in Roanoke and will be headed that way in the next few days. I have a TON of stuff that I'll have to do between now and then, but my main concern right now is finding a place for me and the pup to live. The relocation package includes 30 days of temporary living expenses, but I'd like to do it sooner than that if at all possible, I've done the living out of a suitcase thing before and not really interested in doing it longer than necessary. I'll be up there towards the middle of next week. I was hoping to tap into the Hide braintrust for suggestions on where to start looking. I'd like to stay within a 30 minute or so commute so I don't go broke on putting fuel in my truck getting to work, but can be a little bit flexible. The location, best I can tell from the map is around the intersection of 581 and 221. Anything you can tell me about the area and any leads you could send my way on places to live would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yesterday I thought I'd be moving to Chicago, today it's Roanoke... just goes to show, you never know what the day is going to bring when you wake up in the morning.

Re: Roanoke Area?

Roanoke is a beautiful, if somewhat culturally desolate, area. Guns are popular. Unless you like the hippie/alternative types, stay away from Floyd County, the Virginia equivalent to Marin. 581/221 is pretty much downtown. Im guessing you like to shoot etc. I think Id head a little bit east, mabey out Rte 24 and or Hardy road towards the lakes. Smith Mountain lake is a big, deep, beautiful lake, and a great playground for boating and fishing. You can still find bargains at times there. The other direction, west is the Blue Ridge Mts, also a good choice, with National Parks etc. I just like the water, so would choose a bit east.

Enjoy Virginia, good place to live.

Thanks, I'm an "on the water" guy myself. I'm much more of a fisherman than a shooter or hunter, but both come in a close second. I take it you live in the area?

When you get settled, maybe you can drive 100 miles south to Marion 1 weekend.Excaliber and a few others get together to shoot some medium to long ranges.

Glad to have intelligent people moving into SW VA. I'm an hour south of Roanoke on 81, but very familiar with the area.
You looking for country or city dwelling? Both available, and a good place to live especially if you are hunter/fisher. Loads of public land with easy access and all kinds of great places. Wish work let me live closer, the mountains are home.
Keep going North on 81 and the next few exits get you out of city proper, but in a very nice area with affordable living. South on 220/221 below the city also hosts a nice area, and as you migrate further south land and home prices drop.
Keep us posted, I'll be glad to help you out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wcb6092</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you get settled, maybe you can drive 100 miles south to Marion 1 weekend.Excaliber and a few others get together to shoot some medium to long ranges.</div></div>

I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to have intelligent people moving into SW VA. I'm an hour south of Roanoke on 81, but very familiar with the area.
You looking for country or city dwelling? Both available, and a good place to live especially if you are hunter/fisher. Loads of public land with easy access and all kinds of great places. Wish work let me live closer, the mountains are home.
Keep going North on 81 and the next few exits get you out of city proper, but in a very nice area with affordable living. South on 220/221 below the city also hosts a nice area, and as you migrate further south land and home prices drop.
Keep us posted, I'll be glad to help you out.</div></div>

Thanks! I'm glad to hear about the access, where I'm coming from you need deep pocket and get a lease to hunt. There is very little in the way of public land in WTN, what there is is crowded.

I'm wanting to be close enough to the city that I don't have a long commute to work, far enough away that I don't have to deal with the city when I'm at home...just like everyone else I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do, you must eat at blues bbq.</div></div> I'll give it a try, doubt I'll be impressed since I grew up on the real thing.
smile.gif