• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Robar NP3 Coating on my Volkmann Custom

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Well my Combatant Carry came back from Volkmann Custom today. Luke brought it in for me about a month ago to have Robar put their NP3 finish on it.

Volkmann Custom NP3 Article

The finish is like pure silk it's looks like glass on there I can't wait to take it out for a spin.

SH_Volkmann-2.jpg

Here was the before picture, before it had more than 3500 rounds through it I should say.

volkmann1.jpg

Now, its doesn't even seem like the same pistol.

SH_Volkmann-3.jpg

Seriously this is some good shit.

Re: Robar NP3 Coating on my Volkmann Custom

Nice!

I have it on my SV IPSC'y gun. I personally think the color and sheen look fairly badass.

I know yours is a working gun, but.... Kydex will scarf it up pretty bad at the contact points. Leather not so much, but will make it shiney at the wear points.

I think the best thing about the coating is what is does to the trigger part.... I hope all your internals were done. Also it is like magic on mags. Ran 2k rounds through mine one weekend without adding oil or cleaning.... no problems at all.

Enjoy!

Very nice. I try to use Robar's NP3 coatings as much as possible on my firearms, especially the internals.

It's definitely some slick ass stuff, and yes the parts are coated.

For the most part now, this is going in a leather holster, no real reason to torture it with Kydex anymore, I have other stuff for that, this is mostly my concealed carry piece now.

I initially beat the snot out of it because I wanted to see how the Volkmann 4.25" ran, to me that the was the test, make a 4" run like a 5" and you're probably on the right track.

I don't remember the exact date I brought it too him, but it was roughly 3 weeks to turn it around. His site lists the Np3 coating at $250, I'm not sure if that is correct for a pistol other than his... it probably is, but I can't say, I would recommend contacting Luke.

I had a SIG in NP3, it was phenomenal. Take yours to a class for a week and shoot 10000 rounds through it. I bet you won't have to clean it much, if at all. Nothing seems to stick to it.

Looks great.
    Other than the sights and trigger, did you opt to change anything else? Surprised the new sights fit the YoBo rear cut so well.

Luke changed the trigger because originally he didnt have a short trigger so he cut one down for me, so now I have more a stock short trigger which is great.

And the sights are now the night sights which fit no problem.

I had found my original post when I said I sent it in for coating, it was June 25th, so just over two weeks for the coating.

I hear it is one of the best finishes to repel holster wear. It looks great.

Curious, how well does it conceal as well ? I'd love to move to this platform based on your review for a concealable sidearm.

Looks amazing, and I am glad to see he as a smith takes pride and shooting them then tearing them down before finishing them, as well as shooting the magazines with them before going to a customers hands. A quality missed by many manufactures of even high end firearms.

Definitely on my list to buy.

I'm pretty small and it works for me just fine, I have no issue wearing it concealed.

I use a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster for pretty much all my pistols, I have them for my 4.25" 1911, one for my Glock 19, and one for my Sig 229. He's usually pretty much in stock, ships right away and they fit me very well.

The Black Ops is really good as well, its not that different from the Pro, so I think my Sig and Glock are the standard Black Ops model, the 1911 is the Pro version though.

Specs on the Pro are:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "BLACK OPS PRO"

DESCRIPTION: IWB, OWB, Canted Pancake Design, 1 1/2 belt loop, Cocked & Locked, 18 Position Adjustable IWB. 1 Position OWB.

IWB Positons: FBI Cant , Extreme Cant, 0 Cant, High Ride, High 0 cant, High Rearward, Tuck able, Really to many Position adjustments to list. Basically The "Black Ops Pro" is the most versatile holster in the industry!!!

OWB Position: FBI Cant

Price: 175.00 Shipped

Colors available: Black, Black Cherry, Saddle Tan, Lt. Brown, Dark Brown, </div></div>

Black_Ops_Black_Cherry_4.25_1911_1_tn.jpg

But I have no problem carrying the Volkmann Combatant Carry, so it should be good for pretty anyone if I can get away with it, and let me say, not that needs to be said, my 4.25" completely demolishes my Kimber Custom Shop Raptor II and it holds dead even with my custom Jardine which is a full size 5"... the 4.25" is a hammer.

That coating looks great. Does it look like a matte chrome in person?

I'm really surprised that you prefer a short trigger with the flat MSH. I'm tiny (5'5" and 150 lbs), and my fingers are long enough that I actually prefer a long trigger with the flat MSH and normal-thickness grips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That coating looks great. Does it look like a matte chrome in person?

I'm really surprised that you prefer a short trigger with the flat MSH. I'm tiny (5'5" and 150 lbs), and my fingers are long enough that I actually prefer a long trigger with the flat MSH and normal-thickness grips. </div></div>

It looks better than hard chrome IMHO....has a sheen to it...kinda sparkly...but kinda not...hard to describe...you gotta see it.

It's not shiny, that is a product of how I took the picture as I wanted a "harder' look too it.

Its sort of a matte finish, almost with a tint of purple lying underneath if you ask me. Its definitely not a chrome look.

I like the shorter trigger because I want my finger a certain way and I want the nail pointing at 9 O'clock without any part of my finger touching the frame, so how I like it may no suit you, but its work suits me. I option for as short as possible on anything I can get.

But its a really slick coating that is for sure.

Send me your pistol to wear out and I'll send it back shortly.
    laugh.gif