• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Robar SR-90

slothlacrosse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
CENTCOM
Thought y’all would enjoy this more than the regulars who read the Bolt Action Section.

Snagged this from Mile High with the minimum starting bid.

It didn’t come with any paperwork from Robar, but MHSA said they got it on a trade-in and the department claims it still shot sub-MOA.

Everything seems to be in good shape (other than the scope base screw that’s sheared off) but I’m happy with what I got for the price I paid.

I’m going to spend the rest of my shelter in place cleaning the spray paint off.

The big question is “What scope do I put on it?” Do I stay “period correct” and slap a Mark 4 on top?

Attachments

• 3952B0D0-3F23-40D5-88D2-2E650F17ED0B.jpeg
    3952B0D0-3F23-40D5-88D2-2E650F17ED0B.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 619
That Robar deserves the best optic you can afford. I wouldn't handicap it with old technology.

I’m the last continuously active plank holder on my department’s SRT team, which was formed in 2001. I still have the first rifle I used for sniper duty, a Remington .308, built by Robar. Their work was impeccable. I had a stack of stuff I had intended to send in for the Np3 treatment, but never got around to it before they shut down. I miss them and I always lusted after the SR-90. Congratulations on a great find.

By the way, my “vintage” Robar still wears the Mark 4 10x that I carried on it for over ten years. It does just as good a job now as it did then. If this is your only precision rifle, by all means, get an optic with a modern design, but if you have others with modern optics, there’s nothing wrong with a little nostalgia, as long as the reduced feature set is adequate for your intended use.

I ended up getting the SR60 that ended today. Thanks for sharing. Any pics of the camo scrubbed off?

Reactions: slothlacrosse
And FYI: medium Seekins rings gives you 1/25” of clearance with a Sightron 3.5-10x44 (1.87” obj diameter) on a PRI NV mount

Attachments

• 3D336056-9DE5-4111-8FC7-2577C0ABA034.jpeg
    3D336056-9DE5-4111-8FC7-2577C0ABA034.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: camocorvette
Had a chance to shoot mine today, shoots 1/2 moa all day with FGMM168.

I stuck a Leupold mk5 on it for now just to shoot it. But I’m looking for an older mk4 10x or 3.5-10 for it. I ended up stripping the paint off the barreled action. The black coating looks almost brand new. I haven’t tried loading for it yet, but it really likes FGMM 168.

The SR90 was the first custom bolt gun I ever bought...still near and dear to my heart and wish I hadn't sold it.

983ABCA2-0082-407D-B3D9-8C8C024DCA8D.jpeg
Ended up with another Unertl 10x so I just went that route on my SR60

I'm puzzled by the thinly veiled optic hate. These rifles were very capable for the day which just happens to make them comparable to more modern rifles today. 1/2MOA is 1/2MOA so why make a big issue of what optic is installed? These rifles with 20 year old optics shoot just as well as they would with modern optics costing three times as much so why differentiate the optic of choice? What am I missing?

Just nostalgia and period correctness.

Just nostalgia and period correctness.
I get that. Maybe I didn't ask the correct question. Why would one favor or recommend a "modern" optic over a "vintage" optic? This is what I see above and what I cannot understand. A period correct optic is no less capable than a modern one if the shooter can still shoot to the rifle's maximum potential with it.

Just preference I guess, I mean my Schmidt benders are a lot nicer than my Leupold MK4s, Unertl 10x’s etc.... doesn’t make the rifle shoot better, just easier and better glass. That rifle shoots just as good with the Unertl as it did with the latest Leupold MK5.

Just preference I guess, I mean my Schmidt benders are a lot nicer than my Leupold MK4s, Unertl 10x’s etc.... doesn’t make the rifle shoot better, just easier and better glass. That rifle shoots just as good with the Unertl as it did with the latest Leupold MK5.
I see.
The above rifles were always out of reach for me back in the day, especially the SR-90. To me that rifle was as good as it could get for the type. I nearly ordered an SR-60 back then but even that never happened. I'd be thrilled to own either of them today and would likely top them with very capable "vintage" optics just nostalgia. It's funny when "old" technology out performs the latest his speed, low drag stuff that costs many times more. For the moment my RPR will have to do.
One thing is for certain, I'd pick up either Robar rifle for a walk-about hunt long before I'd consider the RPR.
Nice rifles, congrats to the owners.

Reactions: Stevo86
I get that. Maybe I didn't ask the correct question. Why would one favor or recommend a "modern" optic over a "vintage" optic? This is what I see above and what I cannot understand. A period correct optic is no less capable than a modern one if the shooter can still shoot to the rifle's maximum potential with it.

I'm capable of hitting steel with a VX-3 4.5-14x50 or a Mark 5 3.6-18x50. But having a better reticle located in the first focal plane and better glass certainly makes it a lot easier.

I know snagging a Mark 5 for $899 was a fluke so let's pretend I wasn't able to snag one at that price.

Given the absurd (IMHO) prices that used Leupold Mark 4 and VX-3 Tactical scopes are selling for, it doesn't make sense to buy a 30 year old scope design when I can buy a Burris XTR2 3-15x50 or Vortex Viper PST 2 3-15x50 with LE/MIL pricing.

If I had a vintage Leupold or Unertl sitting around, hell yeah. But I'm not going to spend 2020 dollars on 1990 glass.

C3FF22DE-981B-46AC-B853-12385AE4F590.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm capable of hitting steel with a VX-3 4.5-14x50 or a Mark 5 3.6-18x50. But having a better reticle located in the first focal plane and better glass certainly makes it a lot easier.

I know snagging a Mark 5 for $899 was a fluke so let's pretend I wasn't able to snag one at that price.

Given the absurd (IMHO) prices that used Leupold Mark 4 and VX-3 Tactical scopes are selling for, it doesn't make sense to buy a 30 year old scope design when I can buy a Burris XTR2 3-15x50 or Vortex Viper PST 2 3-15x50 with LE/MIL pricing.

If I had a vintage Leupold or Unertl sitting around, hell yeah. But I'm not going to spend 2020 dollars on 1990 glass.

View attachment 7382984
Looking good! Wish I would have seen that MK5 fluke deal. Hell of a good deal.

If I had a vintage Leupold or Unertl sitting around, hell yeah. But I'm not going to spend 2020 dollars on 1.But 990 glass.

Your point is valid about pricing. It's true that modern optics have come a long way in quality and capability since the hey day of the MK4. And what IS up with the pricing of those old optics?? I've recently started scope shopping for an optic to top an "old school" M700 and have been amazed at the prices some folks are asking for 20 and 30 year old glass.
If money is the deciding factor it makes sense to top a capable rifle with the best value one can find and maybe I read too much into the "that rifle deserves a better optic" line of thinking. Primarily, value looks like it's going to be a deciding factor for my rifle because as much as you've said, I'm fine with the old glass capability and limitations but paying for higher capability and getting old school performance doesn't make sense. Of course that's not the rifle's fault, it doesn't care. But I know you know what I mean.
That a fine looking set up you have there, the MK5 really looks the part in the pics, kind of Unertl-esq.

Your point is valid about pricing. It's true that modern optics have come a long way in quality and capability since the hey day of the MK4. And what IS up with the pricing of those old optics?? I've recently started scope shopping for an optic to top an "old school" M700 and have been amazed at the prices some folks are asking for 20 and 30 year old glass.

It's just like vintage cars. When people reach a point in their lives where they have disposable income, they tend to buy the things they couldn't afford but always wanted earlier in life. Baby boomer's buy muscle cars, Unertl scopes, 6-digit receivers, and CRF Model 70's. As Gen X is starting to retire and enjoy the fruits of their labor, you're starting to see the price of JDM imports, Fox-body mustangs, and Mark 4 scopes go up. In a few decades, you'll see the price of vintage plastic straws, hardcopy books, and single-speed bikes skyrocket.

It's just like vintage cars. When people reach a point in their lives where they have disposable income, they tend to buy the things they couldn't afford but always wanted earlier in life. Baby boomer's buy muscle cars, Unertl scopes, 6-digit receivers, and CRF Model 70's. As Gen X is starting to retire and enjoy the fruits of their labor, you're starting to see the price of JDM imports, Fox-body mustangs, and Mark 4 scopes go up. In a few decades, you'll see the price of vintage plastic straws, hardcopy books, and single-speed bikes skyrocket.

Ha! You nailed it! I'm a gen x'er and I guess I'm doing exactly that. I loved my fox body 'stang, miss that car, and love my UJM, haven ridden them for years and still do. Yes, the price on them is getting stupid!
Point well made, thanks for posting!

Reactions: Stevo86
Thought y’all would enjoy this more than the regulars who read the Bolt Action Section.

Snagged this from Mile High with the minimum starting bid.

It didn’t come with any paperwork from Robar, but MHSA said they got it on a trade-in and the department claims it still shot sub-MOA.

Everything seems to be in good shape (other than the scope base screw that’s sheared off) but I’m happy with what I got for the price I paid.

I’m going to spend the rest of my shelter in place cleaning the spray paint off.

The big question is “What scope do I put on it?” Do I stay “period correct” and slap a Mark 4 on top?
FWIW they sourced their barrels from lilja and Schneider called the r60 contour if memory serves. Don't know if lilja still offers it. I have a Schneider 5p in that contour.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Different barrel contours and stock

IIRC, the SR90 also had a .5 MOA guarantee while the SR60 had a .750. Been a while, could be wrong.

I found a used SR90 left-hand bolt and so being a lefty, I jumped on it not knowing exactly what I was getting. It had the Mark4 scope, bipods, etc. I removed the Leupy Mark 4 (put it on my m1a) and put on a USO FDN 17 which is a nice scope excepting for the illumination which is all off. It is about 0.50 with my handloads. This was 20 shots at 400 yds in 8 minutes with 185 Jgnts and 4166. It shoots good enough for me and its as nice a rigle as I will likely ever have.

Attachments

• 9BD88862-4311-416C-A96A-DF56E12307FE.jpeg
    9BD88862-4311-416C-A96A-DF56E12307FE.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 93
Here is my SR90 that I have had since 93, never had an issue with it and still runs smooth. Shoots way better than I do mine is in 300 Win Mag though not .308. And I prefer the old technology on my SR90 and it works just fine. Good job on finding one I would like to find an SR60.

Attachments

• SR90.JPG
    SR90.JPG
    592.7 KB · Views: 100
Very nice rifles in this thread, wanted an SR90 for as long as i remember. Thanks for posting

Here is my SR90. Its a lefty and I added a modern optic. The 10x scope is currently unattached to any rifle. It shoots pretty good. I think its a 12 twist barrel. It shoots 150s and 185s equally well.

Attachments

• DCF5ADA4-5C39-443B-80A9-E42758C81376.jpeg
    DCF5ADA4-5C39-443B-80A9-E42758C81376.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 76
Here is my SR90. Its a lefty and I added a modern optic. The 10x scope is currently unattached to any rifle. It shoots pretty good. I think its a 12 twist barrel. It shoots 150s and 185s equally well.
That is awesome. I never knew that they made a LH model. I wish I had

Reactions: abstewart
I had a SR60D with a Parker Hale bipod camoed to match the rifle. Don't ask me what the "D" was for. I have some old Robar catalogs in the file, will have to look. I bought in the early 90's from an officer in Port Author. It was a shooter with a MK4 10x on it. Sorry i sold it. Still have some photos somewhere.