• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Robert Gradous does it again!

95LTZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2003
Ft. Pierce, Fl
So, last June I asked Mr. Gradous order a 6.5 twist .22 cal. Kreiger barrel. My build date would be whenever the barrel came in. So 3 weeks ago the barrel comes in & Robert said we could build the rifle. My goal was to have him build a Tubb T2000t in .223. Robert said he had never built a Tubb rifle before so it required a little studying. We take it all apart & in a few minutes he says "ok, let's go". He has a reamer that has never been used before which has the correct freebore for the long 90 gr. Berger VLD's. It's a pleasure to watch the man work. I got the barrel long enough for a finish length of 31". He looks at it a says "I am going to cut it here". Turns out it is about 28.5". I ask how he knows to cut there. With a little smirk he says he can't tell me everything. I had brought several different loads that I thought might work with the 90's. We set up in Robert's shooting room about 10 yards from the shop. After couple of sighters he takes 3 rounds & starts shooting. We took turns shooting 3 shot groups to see what the barrel would like. As many of Robert's rifles do, it seemed to shoot whatever we put in it. Robert shot better than I did. Oh well more practice is needed.
DSCF2745.jpg
DSCF2746.jpg
DSCF2751.jpg
DSCF2750.jpg

I took some different loads to the 400 yard range a couple of days later & managed this 3 shot group. 3 shot groups are only for load testing. Next week more range time to zero in on a load.
DSCF2749.jpg

Semper Fi

Re: Robert Gradous does it again!

That is one fantastic piece of eye candy right there...great shooting too!

Sib,
My plans are to take it to Hard Rock at some point. Also shoot it in the 1000 yard Matches in the Elberton/Hartwell Ga. area.
Thanks for the kind words.

Beautiful rifle. Unbeleivably accurate! I was wondering what I would have him build me for my next rifle.

Solid work at 400.

95LTZ
Unusual but effective; congratulations on your new rifle.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

Pretty awesome to see a build innovating a little on the caliber choice. Roberts work always makes for amazing eye candy.

Might I trouble you to shoe off a pic of your rifle from the other side?

Sure no problem on the pic, but it will have to wait until Tuesday as I am currently out of state & don't have the pic "stuff" with me. I am hoping to try a couple more powders to see what happens.

What magazines are you running in that bad boy? Or is it a single shot adapter?

With the .223 for now I am using a Delrin block as a single shot. The Tubb normally uses SR25 or DPMS .308 magazines. In time I will fiddle around & see if a standard AR mag. fits inside the noraml .308 mag.
As of now it is a single shot.

Gradous Rifles......Hmm,Heard that name before.Is he that pig farmer guy? Ha! Nice gun! Waiting on one from him now.

Some pics that were requested.
DSCF2747.jpg

DSCF2748.jpg

Looking forward to another range trip as soon as the weather cooperates.
Semper Fi

95ltz,

Great looking rifle! What kind of velocity are you getting from the 90 grain VLD?

Also, is the tubb action as smooth cocking as it looks? Never had my hands on one before, always wondered how they configured the firing pin/spring to shorten/lighten it.

Jason

LCDR JGB - Henry Rempel makes them. He is located in Calgary, Alberta.
vvillium3 - I have not shot the loads over the chrono as of yet. When I do I will post the results. As far as the Tubb action goes it is very smooth. You can open the bolt with your index finger, use your thumb to pull the bolt back & ejector. Put your index finger up to close the bolt. I am so used to running the bolt with one finger that I have a sore finger from a Match last Saturday in which I shot my Savage LRPV. The bolt is way to hard to open easily with your index finger. As to the mechanics of the firing pin I am at a loss.
Semper Fi