• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Robert Gradous does it again!

95LTZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2003
Ft. Pierce, Fl
I had the good fortune to help Robert at the request of one of his good friends work up a load & shoot his new rifle. It's a job that someone has to do :). The rifle is chambered in .260 Remington. Optics are S&B 12-50x56 FFP.
I have never fired a .260 Rem. before so this was going to be new to me. We had decided on two different powders H4350 & H4831SC. We had Berger 140 Hunting VLD's & 142 Sierra Matchkings. The primers were all Federal 210M.
Since Robert had already proofed the rifle I started with a charge of 44.0 grs. H4831SC & the 140 Bergers. I took the bolt out & lined up the bore on the target & rough adjusted the scope. Two shots @ 100 yards & we were ready to go. Robert assembled 3 rds. of the starting load. The 3 shot group was .417. I tried a couple more 3 shot groups. I was getting double grouping. We throughly cleaned the bore & shoot it again. Robert changed seating depth & dropped the charge 1/2 grain to 43.5 grs. H4831SC. Still double grouping. Robert took the rifle to the shop (10 yards away) while I walked down to the target board to put up a fresh target. By the time I got back Robert had loosened the action screws & re-tightened them. We had decided that the correct load for this rifle was 43.5 grs. H4831SC & the 142 SMK. Robert loaded some up & sat down behind the rifle. His first group measured .221. No double grouping. I would like to think that it was the re-torquing of the action screws but the truth is closer to the fact that Robert is an amazing rifle shot among his many other talents. I said load up some a lay another group down. Well, I did the talkin' part & he did the shootin' part. He lays down a .121 group. Ok smart ass, Frank doesn't want 3 shot groups so give a 10 shot group. I personally think that is difficult for a rifleman to shoot a 10 shot group @ 100 yards & keep it under 1 inch. Robert starts on his 10 shot group about the 6th shot I heard a small string of cuss words. (I'm pretty sure that was the flyer). His 10 shot group comes in at .662. He wanted to know what the group measured without the flyer. I may have mentioned an activity that he could do to himself & refused to measure it that way. I told him that you shot it I measured it that way.
In the end I had a really good time with a really good friend. The rifle was an absolute dream to shoot. A really good looking rifle with no bad habits. The rifle's owner will be very happy with the end product.
I mentioned the good with the bad because it's all part of the process.
[/URL

Yeah, and he claims he can't shoot... The man takes being humble to an extreme. If you listened to him and didn't know any better, you would probably go find another builder. There isn't an arrogant bone in his body and I love that about him. He is a good man.

Last edited:
I am the lucky one that this rifle was built for by Robert and that Jim help developed the loads for. Thanks to both of you for your time and effort. All I can say is that I cannot wait to shoot it myself. This is the 2nd rifle Robert has built for me and he will be building me a 3rd one shortly. The 1st one is still sitting in my safe and has not been shot since I shot it at Robert’s gunsmithing school over two years ago. I will be retiring shortly and will be returning to the states for good. Once retired I plan on spending the majority of my time shooting these three rifles. I have spent $1,000s and $1,000s on custom made rifles and none of them come close to the accuracy and workmanship of Robert’s rifles. Take it from me save your money on buying from other well know rifle and builders and go directly to Robert for your next build. I guarantee you will not be disappointed

Build components for this rifle

260 Remington
Surgeon action
Surgeon bottom metal
Krieger Barrel cut to 22”,
Badger Muzzle break
McMillian A5 Stock
Jewel trigger
Spuhr rings
Schmidt Bender 12-50x56
Doctor Red dot sight
Angle Degree Indicator MIL-SPEC

Here is the link to the 1st rifle he built me

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...1-another-one-robert-gradous.html#post1423838

Last edited:
andrews1958, I think that you will really be happy with this one. Your .260 that Robert just built is very well mannered. It was a real pleasure to shoot. Thank you

I had the good fortune to help Robert at the request of one of his good friends work up a load & shoot his new rifle. It's a job that someone has to do :). The rifle is chambered in .260 Remington. Optics are S&B 12-50x56 FFP.
I have never fired a .260 Rem. before so this was going to be new to me. We had decided on two different powders H4350 & H4831SC. We had Berger 140 Hunting VLD's & 142 Sierra Matchkings. The primers were all Federal 210M.
Since Robert had already proofed the rifle I started with a charge of 44.0 grs. H4831SC & the 140 Bergers. I took the bolt out & lined up the bore on the target & rough adjusted the scope. Two shots @ 100 yards & we were ready to go. Robert assembled 3 rds. of the starting load. The 3 shot group was .417. I tried a couple more 3 shot groups. I was getting double grouping. We throughly cleaned the bore & shoot it again. Robert changed seating depth & dropped the charge 1/2 grain to 43.5 grs. H4831SC. Still double grouping. Robert took the rifle to the shop (10 yards away) while I walked down to the target board to put up a fresh target. By the time I got back Robert had loosened the action screws & re-tightened them. We had decided that the correct load for this rifle was 43.5 grs. H4831SC & the 142 SMK. Robert loaded some up & sat down behind the rifle. His first group measured .221. No double grouping. I would like to think that it was the re-torquing of the action screws but the truth is closer to the fact that Robert is an amazing rifle shot among his many other talents. I said load up some a lay another group down. Well, I did the talkin' part & he did the shootin' part. He lays down a .121 group. Ok smart ass, Frank doesn't want 3 shot groups so give a 10 shot group. I personally think that is difficult for a rifleman to shoot a 10 shot group @ 100 yards & keep it under 1 inch. Robert starts on his 10 shot group about the 6th shot I heard a small string of cuss words. (I'm pretty sure that was the flyer). His 10 shot group comes in at .662. He wanted to know what the group measured without the flyer. I may have mentioned an activity that he could do to himself & refused to measure it that way. I told him that you shot it I measured it that way.
In the end I had a really good time with a really good friend. The rifle was an absolute dream to shoot. A really good looking rifle with no bad habits. The rifle's owner will be very happy with the end product.
I mentioned the good with the bad because it's all part of the process.
[/URL

I am the lucky one that this rifle was built for by Robert and that Jim help developed the loads for. Thanks to both of you for your time and effort. All I can say is that I cannot wait to shoot it myself. This is the 2nd rifle Robert has built for me and he will be building me a 3rd one shortly. The 1st one is still sitting in my safe and has not been shot since I shot it at Robert’s gunsmithing school over two years ago. I will be retiring shortly and will be returning to the states for good. Once retired I plan on spending the majority of my time shooting these three rifles. I have spent $1,000s and $1,000s on custom made rifles and none of them come close to the accuracy and workmanship of Robert’s rifles. Take it from me save your money on buying from other well know rifle and builders and go directly to Robert for your next build. I guarantee you will not be disappointed

Build components for this rifle

260 Remington
Surgeon action
Surgeon bottom metal
Krieger Barrel cut to 22”,
Badger Muzzle break
McMillian A5 Stock
Jewel trigger
Spuhr rings
Schmidt Bender 12-50x56
Doctor Red dot sight
Angle Degree Indicator MIL-SPEC

Here is the link to the 1st rifle he built me [url]http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/98791-another-one-robert-gradous.html#post1423838

Another one from Robert Gradous