• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock Chucker kit a good choice? Beginner

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
I need to get into reloading, as ammo costs are killing me. I went to Gander mountain to look at reloading equipment, and they have the Rock Chucker Supreme master kit for 360 bucks. It looks like a solid kit and touts that it has everything needed to get started except bullet components and dies.

Question is: does it?

Just to get me started, is this a good solid kit? It comes with the Speer reloading manual, so thats good for some reading before i start actually loading, and i plan to get the manuals from the makers of each bullet brand i use.

Ill be getting it from midway likely:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=646599

Re: Rock Chucker kit a good choice? Beginner

Yes, I have 4 RBCS presses including the Ammo Master II. Very solid. Certainly, it's good enough for me. Will also outlast me that's for sure.

I started in 1972 with a RockChucker kit. I still have it and it still works fine. The RockChucker is only bested by Redding's Big Boss 2... in my book.

It's a good solid place to start for a beginner.

Good luck.

Rock Chuckers are a great press. Do a little research, I have heard that the new ones are being casted different than the older ones and you may want to stay away from the new ones. I think the info was here in one of the how to reload threads but I may be wrong.

yes i started with a lee classic and wished i would have started with the rockchucker. i would have saved me money in the long run because i would have kept more out of the rock chucker.

I have an older rock chucker and it works great. I also have a lee turret press, and it works great for a slightly different type of reloading. If that kit is the same quality as what I have, I would not hesitate to get it.

Gary

Should i get the RCBS rock chucker kit, or should i spring for the big boss press and build my own kit?

I bought the master kit when I started reloading. That said, certain things weren't available then that are now. So if I was doing it over again, I would buy a single stage press and something like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=818489

I have the RCBS version. If you read most of the reviews of these devices you'll see they can all overcharge occasionally (mine only with extruded powders) but the scale tells you so. You just dump it back in the hopper and dump another charge. They even store your favorites loads for you. I will NEVER go back to a balance beam and trickle charging, I don't have enough time left, LOL.

And that's really the only time you're concerned with trickle charging, using extruded powder for rifles. If you knew all you'd ever use is flake or spherical, I'd tell you to just buy a progressive like a Dillon.

You MUST buy reloading manuals. Even if you buy used from ebay or some crap. If you bought a dispenser with scale and a single stage press, you only need a priming tool, primer flipper, loading tray, case lube/pad, powder funnel, and dies. Edited to say add a chamfering tool for cases. Just look at the master kit on Midway's site.

I just bought one the other day. Great press and kit.

Only thing needed extra was a digital caliper.. case trimmer and the dies.. And your good to go. Great way to get started..

I paid $500 for my kit.
smirk.gif
took it with no vaseline. But Im still satisfied with it.

I havnt been loading for 20 years or used 100 other kinds but its a good quaity kit. Great to get you started and after you get the caliper and trimmer. I think This will be my set up for years to come..

RTGFI I dont where you are in TX but the Ft. Worth Cabelas has the Cabela's and RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit in the Bargin Cave for $624. I promise you if had to start again I would go this route. (they had 2 as of today)

All you need with this kit is a good caliper and some dies.

repiv is right, that's the one to buy. Cabelas website shows a $50 rebate, if you can get it at the store so much the better.

It is for sure a great place to start. I have been using one for about 10 years now and it still looks brand new and functions flawlessly. Go with the RCBS you wont look back..

"yes i started with a lee classic and wished i would have started with the rockchucker."

"A lee classic"? Or Lee's Aniversary kit which includes their Challenger press?

Lee's Classic Cast press is fully equal to my Rock Chucker and, in some ways, it's actually superior.

As a very long time reloader who has many tool colors on his bench and has used many others, I never suggest anyone get a kit.

NO kit includes everything needed and no brand has the best choices of tools across the board so choosing tools individually makes for a better selection. But, kits do simplfy things and all kits give very good value so you really can't go badly worng with any of them.

Yes.Its a Great kit that will have you on your way.Also RCBS customer service is as good as it gets.They will replace anything that breaks no questions asked.

Its a great kit.

While you at it get your the following as well so you can set up everything properly

- Hornady Headspace guage set
- Digital Caliper
- RCBS Powder trickler
- Dies

The reason i say get these at the same time as you get a kit, is because the headspace guages allow you to set up your FL sizing dies properly. You also need to digital caliper to do this.

The RCBS powder tricklet allows you to get your charges to within 0.1gr when used with the scale that comes with the kit.

Buy the kit and save lots of $. But check E-bay first. I bought all my stuff one piece at a time and spent more than if I would have bought the kit. I have several rock crushers I bought off E-bay for ~$60

I look at it like an investment. You get what you pay for.

You can find a lot of great deals on reloading equipment on Ebay. I bought a 10/10 scale there for 1/3 of what it would have cost new. I went the Rockchucker route..twice. I have been very pleased both times. I like the beam scales a little better than the electronic. I use Imperial Sizing Wax for lube. I have added a set of calipers, a powder measure,case tumbler, inertia bullet puller, RCBS hand priming tool, primer pocket uniforming tool, VLD deburring tool, Primer flashhole deburing tool and a trimmer. I am sure there is more but I think that is what I use most. I am considering changing my dies to Forrester dies that have been honed to give me the desired neck tension. I currently an using RCBS competition dies and like them.

I forgot a powder trickler, you can add weight to them or buy them weighted. I think I got the Redding because it was already wieghted. I had a RCBS that would great once I added some lead to the bottom of it.

I have a Rockchucker and it works well. Don't go cheap on dies. Get the Redding S Full Length bushing dies. You will make rounds as good as any of the big boys. My runout is less than a half of .001 as measured on the case, the neck, and the bullet ogive of my loaded rounds. This is what you get with good dies.

I started with a rock chucker kit, and basically the only parts of it I still use are the press, the hand primer and the manual, but it is a good press and hand primer. The Speer manual is not the best for beginning reloading, but this is easily remidied by getting an additional manual (I recommend this anyway to double check load info). I use Lee and Sierra manuals as well as the powder manufacturer's websites for load info.

All of the following has been said in some of the posts above, but is just my experience with this kit:

The kit will get you started very well, but you probably will end up getting other equipment to eventually replace parts of the kit. i.e.:
Chargemaster - replaced powder thrower and balance scale
Trim Mate - replaced primer pocket brushes (which actually fit on the trim mate), chamfer and debur tool
Imperial Lube - replaced the lube pad and RCBS lube

You will also DEFINITELY need a case trimmer - I ended up with the LE wilson, priced well and is very accurate

As stated above, you will need a good set of calipers for just about everything

I also would add some case gauges for whatever cases you are going to reload. Makes things ALOT faster than measuring each case with calipers.

Also will need some method of CLEANING your brass. The midway brand vibratory tumbler is cheap and has been working for me so far no problem.

I put this kit together right quick in my MidwayUSA wishlist. This kit seems like it will have all the best components that i wont have to upgrade later.

Its missing bullet components, manuals (i have at least two on the way), and a Thumlers tumbler for case cleaning, but other than that, let me know how its looking and what could use tweaking. I know it wont be as cheap as the rock chucker kit, but i dont mind paying higher for higher quality.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ewishlist.exe/viewwishlist

I have a rock chucker supreme and I love it. Also I just peiced my kit together as I went. Bought some used from places like ebay and gunbroker or here on the hide. But if that kit has what you think you want in it the I'd say go for it.

My Wal-Mart has the RC master kit for $277+tax. You may try them online since my local store having them means the sku is in the system. AG in NC

Nothing wrong with RCBS...but I would look at the Redding T-7 turret press too. Its nice to be able to flip through your dies with the effortless speet of that tank or a press. I bought one and and an extra turret for my precision loading. The Dillon does the other 9mm and 5.56.

The Rock Chucker is a great press. I now have a couple of Dillon presses but still use the Rock Chucker for full length sizing and other misc. operations.

I got the RCBS rockchucker reloading kit when I started reloading in 1999.

1) Rockchucker press .. don't use it anymore, I now use Forster and Bonanza Co-ax presses with shellholer jaw housing I redesigned and made on my mill, and an RCBS Partner press.
2) "Speer 12" reloading manual... loads in it are a joke, I find my start load with Quickload software.
3) Bottle of glycerin for lube... don't use it any more, now use Redding imperial die wax.
4) Pad for applying glycerin... don't use it, I use my fingers.
5) Brush for lubing inside of case neck.. don't use it any more, I remove the expander ball so I don't need inside lube.
6) Loading tray made of plastic... don't use it. I seat bullets as soon as I charge the case, with a second press.
7) Wire brush for cleaning primer pockets. Don't use it.
8) 5-0-5 scale [Ohaus OEM]... I still use it.
9) Uniflow powder measure.... I still use it.
10) Inside outside neck chamfer [ Wilson OEM] I still use it.
11) case trimmer, don't use it anymore. I now use a Forster case trimmer or RCBS 3 way in the vertical mill
12) Funnel, don't use it, I use a Frankfort Arsenal or MTM funnel.

Other stuff I use not cross referenced to the kit:
1) Wilson Case gauge
2) Sinclair concentricity gauge
3) Lyman Moly coating kit, but with steel BBs and magnetic separation
4) Vibrators, ultra sound, and stainless steel media in a tumbler for cleaning
5) Forster and Lee priming tools
6) Lee Collet neck dies polished in my lathe.
7) Forster FL dies with necks honed out in Forster's Hardinge lathes.
8) Forster seating dies with seater stem polished on my lathe
9) Dial calipers
10) Enco set of pin gauges .0610" to .2500"
11) Enco set of pin gauges .2510" - .5000"
12) Optivisor magnifier headset
13) Dillon Super Swage 600 military crimp remover
14) Lux lamp magnifier
15) Bullets, brass, primers, and powder
16) Berry's bullets plastic ammo boxes
17) 3M Post-its for labeling.
18) Forster headspace go-gauge

I think its a pretty good kit. Most of what is in it is useful. You will find you will add and change things as you learn more, but it provides a good base to start with.