• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock Creek Barrels

sheffn

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2019
Gainesville, fl
I am considering a 22” Rock Creek Barrel in 6mm ARC for a build i am trying to complete. Hope to stretch it out to 800yds. Does anyone have any time or input for these barrels? I’m not too familiar with them. Thank you

I have two RC barrels, via Craddock Precision, both in 223 Wylde; both are hammers.

MM

Reactions: lash
Rock Creek barrels were especially good back when Mike Rock was there. I had one. It was good.

I have one on a bolt gun, I wouldn't hesitate to use one on a semi if I could easily find a blank.

Reactions: JS8588
I had a PVA chambered 6cm rock creek and it was prolly the most accurate barrel I’ve owned

My Rock Creek from Craddock is about as good as it gets. I like and own quite a few Bartlein barrels and like them.
Rock Creek is not the same as it once was. The company has changed hands and most of the guys who made it what it was (learned from Boots) are gone. They focus on OEM and cheaper barrels, and make both button and cut rifle. There were alot of bad barrels put out by a popular hide vendor that MOST of the competitors I know, wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole using rock creek barrels. Hard to tell if it was the barrel or the smith or both.

There is zero reason to spend money on them when you can buy a Barlien, Krieger or Hawk Hill (before they sold).

Rock Creek is not the same as it once was. The company has changed hands and most of the guys who made it what it was (learned from Boots) are gone. They focus on OEM and cheaper barrels, and make both button and cut rifle. There were alot of bad barrels put out by a popular hide vendor that MOST of the competitors I know, wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole using rock creek barrels. Hard to tell if it was the barrel or the smith or both.

There is zero reason to spend money on them when you can buy a Barlien, Krieger or Hawk Hill (before they sold).
That’s old news. Try to keep up.

I realize that you only travel with the top eschelon of competitors (sarc) and therefore spew out everything you hear your idols say as if it’s gospel, but get a grip and get with the times. That was years ago.

That’s old news. Try to keep up.

I realize that you only travel with the top eschelon of competitors (sarc) and therefore spew out everything you hear your idols say as if it’s gospel, but get a grip and get with the times. That was years ago.
Not really, alot of us got fucked by that vendor. And it looks like him and craddok are only ones selling their barrels (Bugholes has been OOS for what looks like years).

Again, why take the risk when you can get a known quanitity. Actually check that. Buy your rock creeks, waiting a year for a bartlien sucks.

I don't doubt that you got some bad product from whoever it was, but I've never, on any forum, anywhere, seen anybody report a problem with an RC barrel from Craddock.

And I've been doing business with him since he was at WOA.

If you have any current, specific knowledge that says different then say so directly.

MM

I am considering a 22” Rock Creek Barrel in 6mm ARC for a build i am trying to complete. Hope to stretch it out to 800yds. Does anyone have any time or input for these barrels? I’m not too familiar with them. Thank you
They are very good barrels. Some are suggesting other brands, which are good also, but bartlien doesn’t have a perfect record either.

I hate to say it but there seems to be a "not the same as it once was" post about just about every shop, barrel maker, or brand.

I'm not saying that to invalidate what possibly happened with Rock Creek, but its pretty difficult to cut through the bullshit at this point. Off the top of my head I can find forum posts that say Satern barrels arent what they once were, McGowen barrels arent what they once were, WOA quality declined, Criterion barrels declined, I saw a few posts about someone getting back to back bad barrels from some other highly regarded shop, X Caliber seems to be hit or miss, wilson combat barrels declined, faxon barrels went to shit, BA barrels went to shit..

Where the hell can someone buy a reliable barrel now, if spending $400-$500, and not have a "coin toss" on it being decent?

I hate to say it but there seems to be a "not the same as it once was" post about just about every shop, barrel maker, or brand.

I'm not saying that to invalidate what possibly happened with Rock Creek, but its pretty difficult to cut through the bullshit at this point. Off the top of my head I can find forum posts that say Satern barrels arent what they once were, McGowen barrels arent what they once were, WOA quality declined, Criterion barrels declined, I saw a few posts about someone getting back to back bad barrels from some other highly regarded shop, X Caliber seems to be hit or miss, wilson combat barrels declined, faxon barrels went to shit, BA barrels went to shit..

Where the hell can someone buy a reliable barrel now, if spending $400-$500, and not have a "coin toss" on it being decent?

Well, you'll even get "clunker" stories about the most-favored premium barrels from time to time, and I'm sure that there is some truth to them. Although the probability of crap vs good is probably much more favorable to the "good" side in the landslide of cases.

Bottom line is that a guy will get onto the internet 15x faster to bitch about a bad barrel, than to rave about a good one.

Well, you'll even get "clunker" stories about the most-favored premium barrels from time to time, and I'm sure that there is some truth to them. Although the probability of crap vs good is probably much more favorable to the "good" side in the landslide of cases.

Bottom line is that a guy will get onto the internet 15x faster to bitch about a bad barrel, than to rave about a good one.

Valid point. What sucks even more is the 3,4,5,6+ month waits to get the product. If I wait that long for it, and its not great after, then I'd probably be pissy too. However, I think in most of these cases its the customer service that possibly prevents that from happening (or lack thereof - that encourages it).

I also wonder..if I roll the dice and got a tomato stake, and I can even send it back to them, how long is it going to take before I get a replaced or fixed one?

Way too many people are obsessively obsessed with having to have every AR that they own be a sub-half MOA rifle when, for most uses, that's just completely unnecessary for the gun to perform it's assigned task perfectly, except for bragging on an internet forum.

YMMV

MM

Way too many people are obsessively obsessed with having to have every AR that they own be a sub-half MOA rifle when, for most uses, that's just completely unnecessary for the gun to perform it's assigned task perfectly, except for bragging on an internet forum.

YMMV

MM
You were just questioning another member for recommending Faxon and BA barrels in a separate thread. There's a common denominator there...budget, average, whatever you want to call it.

If you're not obsessively obsessed with accuracy...why bother even participating?

Never said I didn't care. But there's a point of diminishing returns.

What will a sub- half MOA gun do that a consistent MOA gun won't do in real life at sane ranges & in the hands of a decent shooter.

Except shoot bragging rights groups for the innanet.

Show me a Faxon or BA barrel that is a consistent MOA shooter & I'll happily take it.
But a random or a one time 3 shot group don't count.

MM

Rock Creek at one time was top of the heap but technology catches up with us all. I remember when Bartlein came along with best equipment in business and took over. Now there are many great barrels out there. I suggest picking smith known for building what you want and get barrel he recommends
GAP will be Bartlein
Warner will be Bartlein
TAC Ops will be Krieger
Others?

Reactions: kthomas

What will a sub- half MOA gun do that a consistent MOA gun won't do in real life at sane ranges & in the hands of a decent shooter.

Show me a Faxon or BA barrel that is a consistent MOA shooter & I'll happily take it.

MM
I agree. I have a short faxon barrel on a pistol that shoots just fine and hits minute of center mass at expected range for an AR pistol. I don’t shoot it for groups though. Wrong tool for that task. I’m not looking for moa or sub-moa. It literally doesn’t matter for its use.

Reactions: MarshallDodge

MM
Either you care about consistency or you dont. At this point you're arguing against yourself, and I dont think you even realize that.

One barrel produced by Faxon, or BA, isnt going to speak for the majority results for most who order one. That would be the opposite of consistency.

Most BA Hanson barrels made pre-covid were consistent sub/MOA shooters, thats why they sold so well, value for the price. No clue what they're like now..other than it seems to be the most replaced brand (or on the PX) when it comes to 6 arc barrels.

Thats an obvious statement to the trend, and performance, of them as a majority.

If every discussion about accuracy is only about bragging rights, then why do you care about a barrel thats consistent in the first place?

Either you care about consistency or you dont. No. I'm not; I'm just saying that there is a point when, for practical purposes, that going further does not make the gun more useful & I implied that a gun that shoots consistently at 1 MOA will sever as well as a gun that is 1/2 MOA; nothing more. nothing less. At this point you're arguing against yourself, and I dont think you even realize that. No, you're just trying to justify your comments & be an azz & I don't need lessons in Debate from you.

One barrel produced by Faxon, or BA, isnt going to speak for the majority results for most who order one. That would be the opposite of consistency.

Most BA Hanson barrels made pre-covid were consistent sub/MOA shooters, thats why they sold so well, value for the price. No clue what they're like now..other than it seems to be the most replaced brand (or on the PX) when it comes to 6 arc barrels. 6mm ARC capability does not necessarily mean the same for 223W/5.56 barrels.

Thats an obvious statement to the trend, and performance, of them as a majority. If you say so................based on what? Maybe Faxon & BA will expand their warranty to satisfaction / users expectations or return it, eh. Then we'll know where they stand.

If every discussion about accuracy is only about bragging rights, then why do you care about a barrel thats consistent in the first place? Consistency means that you can count of reliable & repeatable performance.....................Once again obvious to all but an azz.

Read the following...................you might learn something but I highly doubt it.

I'm going to assume that one so all knowing as yourself will know who Jack Leuba is, but in slim chance that you don't, his creds are at the bottom of the post below.

I'm done with anymore discussion with you.

MM

Let's Talk Accuracy by Jack Leuba

Read the following...................you might learn something but I highly doubt it.

I'm going to assume that one so all knowing as yourself will know who Jack Leuba is, but in slim chance that you don't, his creds are at the bottom of the post below.

I'm done with anymore discussion with you.

MM

Let's Talk Accuracy by Jack Leuba
Are you now arguing against paying more for match grade barrels and being “obsessively obsessed with accuracy”, or against buying cheap barrels? You’ve held both positions in this debate, regardless of them being completely opposing viewpoints.

Either you’re really confused, or just incredibly stupid. Either way, no one is forcing you to buy a cheap OR expensive barrel, just make up your mind for which side you’re rambling on about.

The link you shared literally validates nothing about your odd opinion on barrels, one that even you cannot clearly define, as you keep jumping back and fourth between two opposing viewpoints, followed by posting a strawman for an argument no one even presented.

Last edited:
Are you now arguing against paying more for match grade barrels and being “obsessively obsessed with accuracy”, or against buying cheap barrels? You’ve held both positions in this debate, regardless of them being completely opposing viewpoints.

Either you’re really confused, or just incredibly stupid. Either way, no one is forcing you to buy a cheap OR expensive barrel, just make up your mind for which side you’re rambling on about.

The link you shared literally validates nothing about your odd opinion on barrels, one that even you cannot clearly define, as you keep jumping back and fourth between two opposing viewpoints, followed by posting a strawman for an argument no one even presented.
Just fucking drop it already. Your fake outrage at MM is really wearing thin and all that you are really doing is trolling now. I for one am freaking tired of it.

Reactions: Yondering
Just fucking drop it already. Your fake outrage at MM is really wearing thin and all that you are really doing is trolling now. I for one am freaking tired of it.

So then learn to scroll and not participate? Sorry that I've tired you out by stating the obvious of "everyone complains about every brand" when someone introduces anecdotal statements.

This is a discussion about accurate barrels. When someone starts whining about others spending more on a more accurate barrel, it becomes counter-intuitive to it, and even more pointless when that same person then starts bitching about "inconsistency" from cheap ones, and trying to argue both points at the same time.

When GAP rifles and Bartlein barrels stop being worth more than cheaper barrels and rifles, and the entire community decides "just as good" is good enough, then I'll stop obsessively obsessing about the accuracy discussion.

No one is forcing you to participate in the discussion if it affects you on a personal level to the point that its tiring you out. Try going outside.

MM
You're not getting my Faxon and BA laser beam sticks, No SIR!

• Haha
Reactions: GhostFace and lash
If they're MOA or better, I'll take 'em but they don't have to be <1/2 MOA.......................:ROFLMAO:

Prolly don't have to worry much except for 3-shot groups though.

MM

Last edited:
If it's 12-13 rounds <.5 MOA, you can brag on the innanet..........................

MM
Black bitch up top: Aero P and BA combo!
IMG_0997.jpeg

5rnds load development:
IMG_7475.png

IMG_7465.jpeg

13rnds 137 Hammer Hunters:
IMG_7466.jpeg

3rnds: lol
IMG_7467.jpeg

IMG_7203.jpeg

12rnds .48
IMG_7245.jpeg

Stump of truth:
IMG_0877.jpeg

Triple P (Peacock Prone Platform) why peacock🦚? Cause I’m just that Daggum proud of it! 🤣
IMG_0967.jpeg

Sheffn, sorry I didn’t see this post long ago.
I have a 22” RC from Craddock. I love it.
Mine shoots lights out. .336 was my best group with hand loads. About .5 or .6 consistently with Hornady black or ELDm’s. About .5 with handloaded ELDx. I take it out to 1200. I have had it for a few years now. Lost count of rounds but likely 2-2500 or more.

I don’t know enough to argue about whether RC has slipped or anything but my buddy has a cut rifle RC 224 Valkyrie he bought 5-6 years back. That barrel convinced me to try the RC in the 6ARC. It is still is a Tack driver too.

I spoke with Paul Craddock before I ordered, a few months after the 6ARC came out. He told me they couldn’t see any real difference in accuracy between the Bartlein cut rifle and the RC, but the cut rifle seemed to have about 40-50% more barrel life. The RC’s at Craddock are button. So, he thought the better value was the Bartlein. For me, 6ARC was an experiment - putting together my 2nd AR 15 at the time- and I was not looking to spend all I could. So even with Paul’s take on it, I took a chance and went cheaper with the RC button. Very satisfied with .5 or better with my amateur ass built ARC. I will assemble another 6ARC in the next year or so. Might go with the Bartlein in their 400MOD steel barrel for “eternal” barrel life, but it won’t be because I think the RCs don’t shoot cause from what I have seen, they sure as hell do.
Hope that helps you or anyone else thinking about it.

Faxon and Ballistic Advantage were always shit. Mcgowan probably makes fine blanks but i wouldn't have them do any other work on my barrel. Some barrels are better than others form the same manufacturer. Thats always the push, what was the actual problem. Bad barrel, bad shooter, expectations too high, barrel actually wont shoot, barrel just doest like the bullet but shooter is bull headed, shooter cherry picks every best group they ever shot and ignores the bad ones and everything that lands outside half MOA is a "called flier." Thats why specifics are important when someone is crying or bragging. It helps discern butt hurt and bullshit from reality. The reality is, just because someone else is good or bad doesn't mean yours will be, but there are barrels you can buy with a much much better chance of being good to excellent.

Faxon and Ballistic Advantage were always shit. Mcgowan probably makes fine blanks but i wouldn't have them do any other work on my barrel. Some barrels are better than others form the same manufacturer. Thats always the push, what was the actual problem. Bad barrel, bad shooter, expectations too high, barrel actually wont shoot, barrel just doest like the bullet but shooter is bull headed, shooter cherry picks every best group they ever shot and ignores the bad ones and everything that lands outside half MOA is a "called flier." Thats why specifics are important when someone is crying or bragging. It helps discern butt hurt and bullshit from reality. The reality is, just because someone else is good or bad doesn't mean yours will be, but there are barrels you can buy with a much much better chance of being good to excellent.

I’m just asking for information that supports the bolded point. Every time a decent barrel maker is mentioned on here, someone is quick to jump in and talk about how they’re not as good as they once were/quality has fallen off.

What brand or shop will have a better chance of being good to excellent?

If you want specific answers you are going to have to ask specific questions. I don't think I can answer to a vague generality perpetuated by multiple straw men on the internet any better than I already did.

The best and generally most expensive ones.

Craddock looks to have scrubbed all references to Rock Creek barrels on their website.

Anyone in the know as to why?

Anybody with a rock Creek ever put a bore scope down there barrel?
I just got one in mine. Looks like it’s got Killdozer marks all the way down from start to finish ( but I’m closer view. I would say it’s probably just due to the many times magnification.

what matters in a barrel??
Is it the quality of the lands meaning nice and straight, nice sharp edges and equally from start to finish?
The other thing probably it doesn’t even matter as these are magnified many times as if you look at your skin under a borescope. It looks like there’s huge grooves so it’s probably just magnification and really it’s very smooth and also because it’s a brand new barrel.

Have many other barrels from Schelin to proof and Rainer look nice and smooth. But I’ve also put quite a few rounds for these barrels and I had no idea what they look like brand new.

Didn’t see really a subject about this, Perhaps this is a new subject altogether.

Attachments

• IMG_1869.jpeg
    IMG_1869.jpeg
    663.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    707.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Rock Creek at one time was top of the heap but technology catches up with us all. I remember when Bartlein came along with best equipment in business and took over. Now there are many great barrels out there. I suggest picking smith known for building what you want and get barrel he recommends
GAP will be Bartlein
Warner will be Bartlein
TAC Ops will be Krieger
Others?

IMO, this is the best course of action.

If you have a regular gunsmith that you trust, I would weigh their opinion more heavily then one from a random on the internet. See what they use and recommend. And if you have any issues, your gunsmith should take care of you.

I just got one in mine. Looks like it’s got Killdozer marks all the way down from start to finish ( but I’m closer view. I would say it’s probably just due to the many times magnification.

Is it the quality of the lands meaning nice and straight, nice sharp edges and equally from start to finish?
The other thing probably it doesn’t even matter as these are magnified many times as if you look at your skin under a borescope. It looks like there’s huge grooves so it’s probably just magnification and really it’s very smooth and also because it’s a brand new barrel.

Have many other barrels from Schelin to proof and Rainer look nice and smooth. But I’ve also put quite a few rounds for these barrels and I had no idea what they look like brand new.

Didn’t see really a subject about this, Perhaps this is a new subject altogether.

Those are marks left over from the button rifling process. I just had to double-check myself. I thought Rock Creek was cut rifled only from my experience years ago, but apparently they make both button and cut rifled blanks.

I've had much worse marks (similar design) on a Wilson Combat barrel that is consistently accurate in an AR, and equal in a Remington M24 that shoots pretty good too.

Wouldn't worry too much about it until I had a few rounds down it and saw how it shot. I certainly don't see any boogered up lands from the photos...that would be a bigger concern.

How does it shoot?

I have not had a chance to shoot other than 50 yards and I wasn’t overly impressed… (the hundred yard range was closed due to trap shoot)

I’ll shoot it at 100 yard range and give you an update…

Those are marks left over from the button rifling process. I just had to double-check myself. I thought Rock Creek was cut rifled only from my experience years ago, but apparently they make both button and cut rifled blanks.

I've had much worse marks (similar design) on a Wilson Combat barrel that is consistently accurate in an AR, and equal in a Remington M24 that shoots pretty good too.

Wouldn't worry too much about it until I had a few rounds down it and saw how it shot. I certainly don't see any boogered up lands from the photos...that would be a bigger concern.
That’s what I was thinking too that the issue is really what you’re looking for irregular lands different sizes, Squished, large cuts out of the rifling itself, and I don’t see that.

From what it sounds like you’re saying that from that sort of rifling process you will get those marks not to mention the process for this barrel takes like 10 seconds where a top tier barrel will be like 30 minutes to an hour per barrel blank plus they stop and lap between..

So is mine a superior rock Creek barrel because it sure don’t look that shiny to me.?

The flagship of Rock Creek Barrels’ product line is the single point cut rifled barrel. These barrels are manufactured on twin spindle hydraulic Pratt & Whitney rifling machines and are available in 4H, 5R, or 8R rifling profiles. All barrels are hand lapped to superb interior finishes with compounds mixed in house. By the very nature of the way we modified these Pratt and Whitney machines, twist rates from 1:5 to 1:35+ are available and have a slight gain twist.

I