• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rock Creek Barrels

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Who here shoots these barrels. I would like more info on these from users. I want the pros and the cons. I read some on them. What kind of accuracy are you getting? Thanks

Re: Rock Creek Barrels

Anyone?? I bet you get some great reviews.

The lead times don't bother me if I know how long ahead of time. Just want to know the Quaility and the accuracy of the barrel. How many rounds does your gun have down the tube?

Great barrels. GA precision used to use them all the time. I had one on my Patriot Arms built rifle. Cleaned well and shot super accurate.

Guys just got a new CNC contour lathe should cut down on lead times alot and make life easier for us and give more realistic lead times just not guesses.
grin.gif

Paul

I have more then you can guess..... They are GREAT barrels, allways shot good for me, clean up easy, no issues of any kind. Ive heard Paul and Rock stand behind there product!

I going to build 2 more 308s. Another hide member said Rock Creek is a great barrel. I haven't heard much about them. I like to base my decisions on other shooters knowledge and experiences. I would like knowledge on the 6.5 cals and the 308.

Like I said about the lead times/ This is not to much of a issue if I know ahead of time. Then I can plan the build of the rifle. More concern with the barrels.

Cut Rilfed do you work there?

Yes he does, and you cant buy a better barrel. Get one already!

I have a .30 and a 6.5 Rock. Pros are super accuracy, very minimal fouling and super easy clean-up (when it gets done). Can't think of any cons. I think it is hard to go wrong with several of the top barrel makers, but I see no reason to buy anything other than Rock in the future.

6.5x55 AI from a Rock barrel. 700 yards (yes, I flub shots #4 & #5.

700yd65x55AI.jpg

338 RUM with 300 gr SMK's while working up loads at 700 yards.

338700yard002.jpg

The other 6.5x55 AI that I built, while fireforming brass at 700 yards.

65x55ai700yard003.jpg

Since pics have been broken out, here is 5-shots @ 200 yards with a .308, Rock 5R tube.
200ydgroup.jpg

Mike built my 300 Whisper on a CZ... shoots .5 MOA at 100 yards all day... used a 1:8 TWIST... Also used a Rock barrel on my AR 10 sub .5 MOA... F'en machine...
Nothing hits like a Rock...
Can be a long lead time item but worth the wait...

I was all set to get a Bartlein because a friend got a build on it and it is a great shooter, but then the opportunity to get a Rock GAP contour 5R 1-11.25 cut rifle barrel blank presented itself and I couldn't pass on it so I grabbed it. A Rock blank in three days lead time!

Now I am just waiting patiently to see what this barrel can do after it is chambered and installed...

From all I've heard you can't go wrong with Rock, or Bartlein, or Krieger, etc etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make a great 7mm too! </div></div>

So I hear, Im impatiently waiting for mine from the group buy! My surgeon action is lonley
grin.gif

I missed out on the group buy. I just went down there and seen they had one a while back. So they are good barrels.I will order a couple when the time comes. How come you don't hear of them that much? Sounds like alot of people are happy with their products.

What do you mean "you dont hear about them much"? Look through the precision rifle pictures thread, a hell of a lot of people are running Rock barrels on their rifles. Mike Rock is a household name in the precision rifle/barrel world.

Four of my rifles have Rock barrels and just recently i bought another Rock for my Ar10 aswell.
Heres my first Rock barrel in 308 1-12 twist 24" shot at 200 yds with 175 FGMM three shots touching.
5rm242.jpg

That is a nice group. This is what I was wanting. I haven't had any rifles built by anybody but the guy I use. I will get a couple on order. Thanks

For a new build I have in the works, Terry Cross recommended Jerry Newman. I called Jerry and he said he used Mike Rock. From what Terry says about Mr. Newman, that is a pretty high recommendation.

I had a Rock on a GAP build. I had a bit of trouble with the breakin, but a call to Mike's shop put everything to the good. I spoke to one of the employees, but he was super nice and even apologetic when he had no reason to be.

As a note, I will have a McMillan A2 on the way to Jerry Newman in a few days and he should have my rifle ready to go in a few weeks. I spoke with him just today and he is one of the nicest guys you could want. He has gone out of his way to keep me updated and in the loop on the build. He has even been kind enough to suffer my stupid questions and not bat an eye. As I said, Terry Cross recommended him and that was enough for me.

I will have pics and groups up when my rifle gets here.

david

Rock barrels do shoot!!!
Each one I have chambered broke in quickly...usually under 5-7 rounds, and clean up with a couple patches.
65groups004.jpg

Left target is 4 shots total including the fouler.

You've never heard of Rock Creek Barrels? I would say that they are probably one of the more popular barrels on this site. I would say Rock Creek, Bartlein, Krieger, and Broughton are probably the four most popular barrels used by the members of this site. I have over 6200 rounds through my Rock Creek barrel (.308W) and it STILL shots groups that amaze the hell out of me. Sub half minute is easily attainable, even without cleaning for 200+ rounds.

It will out shoot you!

Nice rig. That is good shooting. The Rock barrels must shoot really great. I will try couple of them. I don't think I could wrong. I will call them tommorrow and talk with them. Thanks for all the help. It is much appericated.

Their barrels are great. Their back office needs some work....little disorganized. Krieger is much more professional....they deliver in a predictable fashion, about one week earlier than promised. Rock Creek delivered when I bugged them a few times after they were two months late. Also, Krieger delivered the barrels properly packaged to protect the barrels.

No complaints about the Rock Creek barrels...I"m just saying they need to hire a Helga office manager to whip them into shape. :)

Like I said before we are hoping the new CNC contour lathe will cut down on wait times and give more realistic lead times just not guesses. Please forgive me for any slowness lately we are pretty much a 2 man band James does all of the rifling and I do all of the office work most of the contouring and all of the fluting plus running 3 Group Buys I have pretty much bitten off more than I can chew so please bear with us and I hope it is always worth the wait.

Thanks, Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like I said before we are hoping the new CNC contour lathe will cut down on wait times and give more realistic lead times just not guesses. Please forgive me for any slowness lately we are pretty much a 2 man band James does all of the rifling and I do all of the office work most of the contouring and all of the fluting plus <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">running 3 Group Buys </span></span>I have pretty much bitten off more than I can chew so please bear with us and I hope it is always worth the wait.

Thanks, Paul </div></div>

That alone proves how much they care about us shooters! who els does group buys like Rock to save us poor shooters some money?

Very true. I will get a couple of barrels from them. Sounds like a lot satisfied customers out there. That is a good thing.

I am getting my First Rock 5R on my DPMS 308 right now and can't wait to see how well it will shoot I know better than me for sure!!!!

I have two....308 and a 300 win mag. ( MTU 1:10 SS Cut rifled )

The 308 has shot its best group at 100 with 168's of a .259.

I still have not spent much time with the 300 but it is already under 1/2 with factory loads. They are top notch guys and their barrels Rock....

I have a Rock barrel in .308 and it is a shooter.... will definitely use again... cleans easily, A+++

I can't shoot 100yd groups worth a damn, but its me not my barrel....
Last month at the NorCal TBRC they had us shoot 3 headshots in 45 seconds at both 500 and 600 yards.
My 500yd group was .338 moa and 600yd group was .314 moa.

Shoots just fine for me. 308 5R 1:10 M24/M40 contour.