• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rock guitar player survey

Greatest Acoustic Guitarist of All Time.....Tommy Emmanuel. Dive into his music and be amazed. The instrument was invented for this man. Great entertainer too.

I agree, partially. I think Andy McKee is damn close to skill level and writing ability to Tommy. Different styles, but....Andy McKee deserves mention.

Bajeebuzz !! cant believe I forgot Ty Tabor !!!! I say again

Ty Tabor!! Oh ooh ohhh and

Phil Keaggy!! OH oHHhh OHH==HHHH and

LIncoln Brewster !!

listen to and am inspired by these gweeter slingers almost daily!! cant believe i almost left em out ..... All three are TOP SHELF !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: vh20
She's good, I'll give her that. But, her over use of virbrato is nails on a chalk board to me......She over uses it WAY too much. 😫 As guitarist's know....It's easier to make it sound bad than it does to make it sound good. Too much virbrato. 🤮
Opinions vary. Use of VIBRATO is the choice of the artist.I don't think she used to much. On the other hand I for one could have done without Steve Vais facial gymnastics performing the same tune.

Bajeebuzz !! cant believe I forgot Ty Tabor !!!! I say again

Ty Tabor!! Oh ooh ohhh and

Phil Keaggy!! OH oHHhh OHH==HHHH and

LIncoln Brewster !!

listen to and am inspired by these gweeter slingers almost daily!! cant believe i almost left em out ..... All three are TOP SHELF !!!!
Absolutely correct on all accounts.

WHERE THE FUCK IS HENDRIX?????!!!!!!!!!??????
Hopefully the toilet. I've heard shit come out of my ass that sounds better than Hendrix.

Mark Knopfler, Prince, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Honorable mention: Lindsey Buckingham, Pearl Jam's Mike McCready.

Hopefully the toilet. I've heard shit come out of my ass that sounds better than Hendrix.

Mark Knopfler, Prince, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Honorable mention: Lindsey Buckingham, Pearl Jam's Mike McCready.
Just because you really really like the songs they did does not make them a good guitarist.
Knopfler was only OK, Prince did alright, SRV was a very good player, Buckingham sucked and McCready played simple stuff a child could play.
Steven Stills could make a mess of any of those save SRV, and no one has mentioned Steven Stills yet in this thread.
Fleetwood Mac went downhill fast when Peter Green died, I've seen them both before and after, there was/is no comparison.
Peter Green actually knew which side of the guitar faces outwards.

Just because you really really like the songs they did does not make them a good guitarist.
Knopfler was only OK, Prince did alright, SRV was a very good player, Buckingham sucked and McCready played simple stuff a child could play.
Steven Stills could make a mess of any of those save SRV, and no one has mentioned Steven Stills yet in this thread.
Fleetwood Mac went downhill fast when Peter Green died, I've seen them both before and after, there was/is no comparison.
Peter Green actually knew which side of the guitar faces outwards.
Knopfler's banjo style technique was completely different than SRV, Peter Green or others. One would have to say one song was better than another artist's rather than the guitarist was better.

Knopfler made Sultan's of Swing and other Dire Straight's music great just as Buckingham made Fleetwood Mack's Go Your Own Way a hit.

Reactions: plong
See that's the thing.
This is a thread about good, or great, guitarists.
Knopfler playing Sultans of Swing.....there isn't any guitar to speak of in the song, no ripping, no shredding, no artfully tasteful fingerpicking, nada.
Same with Go your own way, even more so. It's a vocal song, nothing to do with instruments.

Like I said above, just because you really really like the song does not mean there is any noteworthy guitar in the song.

Hendrix could play, like an angel, and like a demon, he could play anything and throw in these tasty little fills that most people don't even notice.
Tell me either Knopfler or Buckingham could pull this off and I'll straight up call you liar.

And that's just fucking around, he's not even close to being serious there.

Last edited:
Here, lets fix this.

Is that too docile and acoustic for you ?

Having myself played guitar for near 50 years now there is one that still amazes me, the kid rips with such absolute perfection.
How he never misses a note at this level of playing is nothing short of magic.

Beautiful song too.

See that's the thing.
Knopfler playing Sultans of Swing.....there isn't any guitar to speak of in the song, no ripping, no shredding, no artfully tasteful fingerpicking, nada.
Huh? That song is 5 minutes of Knophler ripping tasty finger picked riffs... That is by far one of the dumbest comments I’ve ever heard you make and that’s saying something

Reactions: TexPatriot
See that's the thing.
Same with Go your own way, even more so. It's a vocal song, nothing to do with instruments.

Like I said above, just because you really really like the song does not mean there is any noteworthy guitar in the song.

Hendrix could play, like an angel, and like a demon, he could play anything and throw in these tasty little fills that most people don't even notice.
Tell me either Knopfler or Buckingham could pull this off and I'll straight up call you liar.

And that's just fucking around, he's not even close to being serious there.

I'm straight up calling you a liar. Or you obviously never heard Knopfler's Sultan of Swing solo.

Hendrix? I could take his left handed guitar and bang and shred on it for five minutes and tell people it's Hendrix and people wouldn't know the difference. And I only know about two cords. Hendrix suc't so bad he choked to death on his own vomit. They could have recorded that and Hendrix fans would have called it great.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for the Blues. there would be no rock:

Also, this old dude rocked:

Don't forget Sister Rosetta:

Hendrix? I could take his left handed guitar and bang and shred on it for five minutes and tell people it's Hendrix and people wouldn't know the difference. And I only know about two cords. Hendrix suc't so bad he choked to death on his own vomit. They could have recorded that and Hendrix fans would have called it great.
And yet without him, there would be no SRV as we knew him. Hmmm...

Reactions: bab029