• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Rock Island .22TCM review

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
For those of you who don't know the .22 TCM is a fairly unique cartridge and also fairly new. Most people are saying this is a necked down 9mm, I don't think so. After really inspecting it, it looks like a cut down .223. Either way it fires a 40 gr. bullet out of a pistol (5" barrel) at 2085 fps. Armscore is the only one making guns in the new caliber as of right now but who knows maybe it will take off.

The gun is a 1911 with a double stack magazine. The gun itself is okay, nothing great but for around 650.00 ish, it is not bad at all. Some of the cost savers are pretty obvious like the plastic mainspring housing, no checkering, basic safety. However, for what it costs it is fairly impressive. The trigger is pretty good and shortened up a bit to compensate for the wide frame. fairly tight lockup and fit. Overall, when taking cost into consideration it is a pretty nice gun. The recoil spring is really light, as in around 7lbs.
I opened up the basic black plastic box and there is the gun and one 17 round magazine, some papers, lock and other crap that ends up in the closet but...
The gun also comes with a 9mm barrel, a 9mm extractor, and a stronger recoil spring. Now we are talking! caliber conversion alright! but wait there is a catch. Start reading stupid papers that come with the gun. Okay so the 9mm barrel is not fitted to the gun nor is the extractor...WTF! So, if you want to swap barrels you have to go take the gun to a gunsmith and have the 9mm barrel and extractor fit. Why would you even include it to the package? I would rather them charge more and have fit this stuff already. Stupid!
Okay so fine, I won't be shooting 9mm out of the thing.
Range time
Very excited to try the new cartridge out I get it to the range. I set a target up and fire a 15 rounds at 25 ft. Awesome! nice and accurate the recoil is roughly the same as a FiveSeven, super light but the gun is LOUD. The 1911 action feels amazing with the little round as you feel the action go back into battery after each round. There is about a foot of muzzle flash and the thing is soooo fun!
Enough screwing around I put up a new target and move it to 50 ft. first round goes click, okay I cock the hammer again and try a second time okay it goes off this time. I proceed to have more fun, first problem the holes are so small you can't see them. okay after another 15 rounds I bring it back..
WTF? The grouping is a little bigger than it should be, not bad but maybe 4 to 5 inches. Must be me. I run a new target down and repeat, nope same thing. I run a new target to 25 ft again... drilling little tiny ragged hole. one more time at 50 nope coned out group again. okay, I run the target to 40 ft and still coned out but a little closer, 30 ft, and it is equal to the difference from 50 to 40 ft. very odd.
The thing is still okay but it is no tack driver and with 2085fps I would really like it to be, right? Okay, so I am thinking it is the ammo but there is no way to test that for sure.
Below there is a picture of the a small target shot at 50 ft. the small holes are the .22TCM The large ones are .44 Magnum shot at the same distance to show that is certainly wasn't me screwing up the group.

Overall I really like the idea of the .22TCM but I think I will wait and see what happens before I buy one. The gun is really fun to shoot and really fun to shoot fast but I would like it as a varminter and it isn't up to that task yet.

Again this is that little target. Good, just not great. I would expect this from a 300.00 .22 lr pistol not a 650.00 centerfire
IMG_0318_zps9137b5ad.jpg

really cool round, I really hope something happens with it!
IMG_0313_zps8cccb41a.jpg

crappy picture of the gun
IMG_0312_zpse6d84aaf.jpg

I had a chance to shoot the .22TCM from Rock Island recently

Re: Rock Island .22TCM review

Nah, I only had the gun for a quick test. The instructions said to change the extractor so that tipped me over the lazy line and just tested the .22 TCM