• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Rock Island Armory 1911 9mm

beretta989

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
South Dakota Huron area
I'm looking at the Rock island 1911 9mm as a cheap training 1911 to get some experiance with. Does anybody own one or know if they are worth the 380$ to try out? I allready own a custom built springfield 45 build but want a truck pistol to plink with.

Re: Rock Island Armory 1911 9mm

Ok, this is the last pistol I am admitting to owning in case my wife ever reads this thing. I do not have a 9mm Rock "or any 9mm other than an old Astra for that matter" I have a Rock Island 45 1911 Tac series two-tone. I bought from an employee BNIB 3 years ago. He never fired it and it seemed like a great deal at $450. The left side grip split on it the second time shooting it. Maybe at the 25 round mark. I put on new grips and never had another problem. Its never seen a high volume day though or even 500 rounds total. I don't think I would use mine as my truck pistol though. Its a good looking weapon and I don't like blued pistols as riders. I use a Taurus PT101 stainless as my truck gun and plinker .40. My ccw is a Beretta 96 so the Taurus is as close to fit and feel as I can get for my truck/beater/plinker.

I say for $380 if you put your hands on the Rock and are satisfied with the feel in comparison to yours then grab it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up ordering the Taurus 1911 in 9mm looks alot better.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=232076674 </div></div>

Taurus is trash; I would never trust my life on that garbage.

I have an STI Spartan, which is the same as a RIA. The fit is excellent.

So I guess you live in the Savage is garbage world too? Is Beretta trash as well? I love bashers. I have a few Taurus pistols some with well over 4k rounds on the original barrel including that pt101 I listed above. Its had 1000 rds in one day through it just to get it hot and see if it would fail. I have a spare barrel sitting in my gun cabinet for it when the original is toast. I have never broke a part on a Taurus. Never had a failure to fire on either Taurus or Savage. I can't say that for Remington or any of the other companies out there you haters are so fond of. I have plenty of 700's and none of them shoot any better than 1/4 moa. but most of my Savage's shoot 1/4 moa. So call them what you want but you haters are lost. If you have owned a Taurus and have a gripe thats fine but unless you can tell me your personal problem/experience with Taurus its just hating. I have no problem with the maker who supplied Baretta parts for years.

I am not against you guys who want to spend 4-5k on a 308 and then put a 2k scope on it just to shoot 1/4 minute groups. Its your money and your CHOICE. Buy a $3k pistol too if you want. I won't call you stupid or elitist or any other derogatory name. You can call me whatever you want, I have thick skin. Don't bash a manufacture because you don't like it though. I am not prone to spend large amounts of money on firearms unless I choose to. I own two pistols that were pricey to me. My Para 1911 in .40cal with a few adjustments and my Desert Eagle 357 that I just had to own the day they hit the market. Neither was over $1500 though. I own a few more pistols and believe me if any one had any reliability issues it would have been returned, sold or disposed of by me.

I think an STI is a fine weapon and that Savage statement is not for you either. I own several savages and I am just as happy out shooting a rem700 as I am an ass clown that can't hit the side of a barn with his factory Wby that he just paid to much money for.

I won't hate on your arms choices. The opinion here started on a Rock though and thats were I am leaving off. You will have no problems with your Taurus man and if you do they will bend over backwards to make you happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lobbinlead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess you live in the Savage is garbage world too? Is Beretta trash as well? I love bashers. I have a few Taurus pistols some with well over 4k rounds on the original barrel including that pt101 I listed above. </div></div>

Nothing wrong with Savage or Beretta.

4,000 rounds is a lot? Must be why you're a Taurus fan. 4k is a break in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Its had 1000 rds in one day through it just to get it hot and see if it would fail.
</div></div>
???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a spare barrel sitting in my gun cabinet for it when the original is toast.
</div></div>

Don't worry, it will be broken before that ever happens. Or, better yet, you will sell it and move onto something better.
I have never broke a part on a Taurus. Never had a failure to fire on either Taurus or Savage. I can't say that for Remington or any of the other companies out there you haters are so fond of. </div></div>

Your experience is not typical. I have not seen any manufacturer with the kind of shitty quality control that Taurus has. I have never owned a Remington rifle.

I have plenty of 700's and none of them shoot any better than 1/4 moa. but most of my Savage's shoot 1/4 moa. So call them what you want but you haters are lost. If you have owned a Taurus and have a gripe thats fine but unless you can tell me your personal problem/experience with Taurus its just hating. I have no problem with the maker who supplied Baretta parts for years.
</div></div>

Possessives are not plurals, and plurals are not possessives. Please learn the difference.

The shitty quality of the Taurus guns, especially the PT1911, is well documented. Just look at the front strap. It's not even properly radiused and holding onto it is like holding onto a 2x4. The only reason you could possibly think that piece of junk is decent is if you just don't know any better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not against you guys who want to spend 4-5k on a 308 and then put a 2k scope on it just to shoot 1/4 minute groups. Its your money and your CHOICE. </div></div>

I haven't done anything of the sort and if you search back far enough, I have advised against new shooters buying custom rifles. Apparently all that matters to you is on the target, quality, ergonomics, and durability are meaningless, and so it's probably better for you to buy a cheaper gun.
Buy a $3k pistol too if you want. I won't call you stupid or elitist or any other derogatory name.</div></div>

A $3000 gun is not necessary. In fact, the STI Spartan is in the same price range or cheaper than the Taurus and is FAR superior in quality. I'll put mine up against any Taurus, anytime...especially in 9mm!
I think an STI is a fine weapon and that Savage statement is not for you either. I own several savages and I am just as happy out shooting a rem700 as I am an ass clown that can't hit the side of a barn with his factory Wby that he just paid to much money for.

I won't hate on your arms choices. The opinion here started on a Rock though and thats were I am leaving off. You will have no problems with your Taurus man and if you do they will bend over backwards to make you happy.</div></div>

Let's see: I can have an STI Spartan with a nice fit and finish or a Taurus that looks like shit, has a gritty trigger, and is out of spec in every imaginable way for the same price. Guess which one I'm picking?

I've had my PT1911 for 2 or 3 years now. Still runs every time I pull the trigger. I lost count with how many rounds are on the gun. The only thing I did was replace the thumb safety when I bought the pistol.

My trigger breaks clean thanks.
Is it a STI? Nope.
Do I carry it and trust it to go bang, yup.
If it every breaks will I replace it? Nope I'll have Roscoe put bar stock parts throughout.

Even high dollar shit will go tit's up.

Hate away.

People love Kimber and STI's however both are full of MiM parts and if you’re a true 1911 hero MiM parts aren't allowed. So you’re at the back of the bus as well. But hey, keep your chin up sport. Your finish looks great!

Downzero you don't own one. I am very happy that your happy with your STI but my Taurus looks great and has zero fit and finish problems. I didn't comment on the 1911 being a perfect 1911 clone just your slamming of the brand. I don't own a Taurus 1911. I made the comment on a PT101 in 40 cal. I wish you years of enjoyment from your STI. I also said the Savage comment wasn't directed at you. I know the price of an STI as well and never said it was expensive.

I don't have enough time in the world to have more than 4k down all my pistols. I would suspect most people never see 4k on a single handgun unless they use one for a living. 1k in a day is a good test run on a handgun in my opinion. I think if one is going to have a failure it will be while its hot and dirty. Just my opinion.

You are welcome to your opinion but I wouldn't call your sister or your mother a bad name. You are making a blanket statement about a brand that is owned by many people. You can find bad on any brand on the internet including STI. I have a Rock Island made from the same parts bin as your STI. Its not my favorite 1911 my Colt is. Its not for fit and finish or history but because the Colt was a gift. My Kimber Warrior falls into a second place tie with my Para 1911 40cal with fourth place going to my Rock. Fifth gets my ATI FX that I bought for a 45 ccw and never use. All are good reliable guns. I have no problem picking up any of them to do their job.

You can take your plural and possessives along with three dollars to a coffee shop and get a cup. What I said about expense of rifle and scope had nothing to do with your opinion of my shooting style. It had everything to do with you blasting a brand and that didn't change.

Don't mind DownZero...... he will come back with something to the effect of "I have shot more rounds in the last 6 months than you have shot in your entire life with a pistol" And he is a super secret ninja master with a pistol, so everything he says is true and you are an idiot with no clue
crazy.gif

RIA are great guns for the money, If i were going to buy a cheap gun to gut and redo a 1911 it would be an RIA.

STI over Taurus or Rock Island (I have owned all 3)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RIA are great guns for the money, If i were going to buy a cheap gun to gut and redo a 1911 it would be an RIA. </div></div>

EXACTLY! thats what im doing, not in 9mm, and not done yet but getting there
1911-1.jpg

I got a RIA 1911 in 45 when they first came out, for all of about $300, I think. For the money, its a great deal. Yeah, its not in the league of my Les Baer, RRA, Kimber, etc, but for $300, its an incredibly accurate and tight play gun. Functions great, no issues with it there, just dont expect it to shoot as well as the high dollar jobs and you are good to go.

I know it may be off subject a little. I have not owned a taurus 1911, but just about everything else they have made. At one time I thought they were a pretty good company. But several guns that I had, had to go back to the factory for one thing or another, and their customer service left alot to be desired, actually I was being very charitable, their customer service is basically non-existant. Someone mentioned earlier that eventually even the high end stuff can go "Tits up", and I agree, that is why customer service is so important, and that is why I no longer deal with Taurus.

Another USELESS thread that has no real info of what the original topic was. Thanks DOWNZERO for helping to stay completely off topic. And remember this one next time you bash anyone for not using the search function before asking a question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musket_0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another USELESS thread that has no real info of what the original topic was. Thanks DOWNZERO for helping to stay completely off topic. And remember this one next time you bash anyone for not using the search function before asking a question.

</div></div>

how so? theres alot of opinions posted on RIA pistols, which is what the OP was asking. Maybe get next to a fire in that frozen northern michigan