• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock M24/M40 barrel weight

remaction

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
SW, WI
Can anyone tell me their Rock M24/M40 30 cal. finished barrel weight (without flutes) at 22" long? 24"?

Re: Rock M24/M40 barrel weight

Going on a TAC30. I wanted to know the weight difference between a Rem varmint contour and an M24/M40 contour for balance and total weight purposes. I'm using a McMillan HTG with sniper fill and a Falcon Menace scope, which are both on the heavy side (as far as I define weight anyhow, plus I'm not getting any younger).I didn't want to bug the guys at Rock as I know they're busy and I figured somebody here knew the answer off the top of their head. I'm guessing by looking at the Pac-Nor link that a 24" Varmint and a 22" M24/M40 may both be about 4.5#. Which I think will put my total weight at about 11.5 - 11.75#

I have never weighed them, but I have two rifles in M40A1 stocks, with Rock M24 contour barrels (one sports a TAC30). While niether are 22", I can say with 24" and 25" tubes, they balance pretty well, IMHO; however, they are not lightweights by any means.

If you speak of a 24" Rem. varmint countour, I would think that a 22" M24 contour barrel would be significantly heavier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remaction</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me their Rock M24/M40 30 cal. finished barrel weight (without flutes) at 22" long? 24"? </div></div>

Check out Krieger's website. They list some approximate weights on their barrels. The M24 and the #17LV are close enough in dimensions that the weight difference should be negligible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of rifle will this be going on????

why is weight an issue I should ask...

</div></div>

I don't know what you just said man... but you're special. Really, you reached out...and you touched me deeply

Matchking, you're right. I was misinterpreting the dimensions on the Rock website. It listed .90" diameter at "E" which is in the taper section, but there is no dimension for "E" from the chamber end. I thought it had a radius or short tapered section similar to a Palma contour and they just hadn't included the dimension of "E".
If it is a straight tapered barrel, then looking at the Krieger website as bsp212 noted would put this barrel about 1.25 - 1.5# more than I want to carry.
Thanks for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remaction</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going on a TAC30. I wanted to know the weight difference between a Rem varmint contour and an M24/M40 contour for balance and total weight purposes. I'm using a McMillan HTG with sniper fill and a Falcon Menace scope, which are both on the heavy side (as far as I define weight anyhow, plus I'm not getting any younger).I didn't want to bug the guys at Rock as I know they're busy and I figured somebody here knew the answer off the top of their head. I'm guessing by looking at the Pac-Nor link that a 24" Varmint and a 22" M24/M40 may both be about 4.5#. Which I think will put my total weight at about 11.5 - 11.75# </div></div>

I am in the process of finishing up a 700 action, 7wsm, HTG sniper fill, 22.5" Bartlein MTU with 5 deep flutes, thruster brake, Williams BM. Without optics it is a tiny bit front heavy. With an S&B 4-16 it balanced better than any rifle I have ever handled.

Since its a .308, If I were you, I'd flute the Rock and run it at 22". Otherwise try medium palma.

Rem7wsm001.jpg

I don't know finished weight, but I have the exact barrel on my rifle now. It replaced a 26 in 308 heavy factory barrel. Its MUCH heavier than my factory barrel, but I love it. Rock M24/M40 SS 5R finished at 24 inches.

Mike

A 26" barrel is around 7lbs. I had a 22" fluted that was about 5.5lbs. So, I'd guess around 6.5 lbs for a 22" non-fluted as mentioned above.

Translation, the M24 contour is heavy, I'd guess your rifle will come out 12-13 lbs...not counting scope and rings. Hope you don't need to hump it too far. :)

PS. a light palma profile will come in around 3.6 lbs trimmed to 22" and it is still a fairly heavy profile. Palma profiles look great on tactical rifles.

My m24 rock 308 fluted barrel weighs 86oz at its 27" unfinished length, when it's finished it should be at or near 70-72oz

Remember, it’s fluted, I guessing fluting cuts 1/4 to 1/3 pound off the barrel weight.

Thanks for the help guys. That gives me all the info I need.