• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock River AR10

Sykes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2020
Colorado
Looking for input, I've Been considering getting an AR10 and was looking at the Rock River LAR 8 X1. I have a RRA A4 Varmint 204 ruger that is a great rifle so with my very limited experience in the AR world I thought I'd stick with a Rock River. Looking for input from the more experienced guys that may have had one and what thier thoughts are. Just another rifle to have and shoot at the range with. Only uses would be hogs if I ever go, big if. More likely would be for the zombie apocalypse. I've got a Super Hogster that I could pair with it for the night time stuff.

I appreciate the advise guys

I had an LAR 8. Was a great rifle. 1 moa with decent ammo and closer to 1/2-3/4 with 168 FGMM. Mine had a heavy chrome moly 20” Wilson barrel from the factory. Never weighed it but that thing was a pig. I’d buy one again though. Fantastic factory two stage trigger

Excellent rifles. Probably accurate as any off the shelf AR308. But everything is proprietary. No other uppers will fit their lower and vice/versa.

Magazines are FN-FAL metric type magazine design. They sell polymer mags made by Thermold that work really well, but you ain't gonna stick a Magpul in it and make it work. The entire design was bought from Bushmaster (the old, good Bushmaster company-2nd gen) and they designed it around FN-FAL magazines. I think they grew on trees in the Congo back then. I have one of the Bushmasters.

Barrel nut and handguards are proprietary. Don't know for sure about barrels.

I'm not trying to get you to buy something else --- I think they are good quality guns --- but you need to understand from the get-go that you'll have to buy any upgrades etc from RRA.

Most small internal parts will interchange, like triggers etc. But Bolt carrier groups, buffers, buffer tubes, will not interchange with anybody elses stuff. Heavy Buffers makes a special buffer/spring combo for it which I highly recommend.

If this doesn't bother you, go for it. You'll be buying a good quality weapon from a good company. If you need a little better compatibility with commonly available parts/mags then look elsewhere.

All the above only applies to the LAR8. Their AR15s are interchangeable with any other AR15.

Excellent rifles. Probably accurate as any off the shelf AR308. But everything is proprietary. No other uppers will fit their lower and vice/versa.

Magazines are FN-FAL metric type magazine design. They sell polymer mags made by Thermold that work really well, but you ain't gonna stick a Magpul in it and make it work. The entire design was bought from Bushmaster (the old, good Bushmaster company-2nd gen) and they designed it around FN-FAL magazines. I think they grew on trees in the Congo back then. I have one of the Bushmasters.

Barrel nut and handguards are proprietary. Don't know for sure about barrels.

I'm not trying to get you to buy something else --- I think they are good quality guns --- but you need to understand from the get-go that you'll have to buy any upgrades etc from RRA.

Most small internal parts will interchange, like triggers etc. But Bolt carrier groups, buffers, buffer tubes, will not interchange with anybody elses stuff. Heavy Buffers makes a special buffer/spring combo for it which I highly recommend.

If this doesn't bother you, go for it. You'll be buying a good quality weapon from a good company. If you need a little better compatibility with commonly available parts/mags then look elsewhere.

All the above only applies to the LAR8. Their AR15s are interchangeable with any other AR15.
This is a very good response ^

I would suggest as well, if you like the gun the way it comes it’s excellent. If you already see you upgrading down the road then maybe not so much

Been some decent AR’s in the px here as well. Prices are fair currently

MTRMN’s response pretty much nailed it. Well built rifles for the $$ but lots of proprietary parts. I bought an LAR8 off another forum mainly b/c I got it for a little more than what the Acog that came on it was worth. Haven’t shot it a whole helluva lot (my 6.8 gets the thermal/nighttime duty) but it’s been a good shooting gun, probably a bit more accurate than my REPR at half the cost. Sent it back to RR so they could replace the Magpul MOE hand guard with a RR free float hand guard and an adj. gas block since I shoot with a can. Work was done quickly and at a very reasonable cost, so my customer service experience with RR was pleasant.

.308 will DRT a hog…
1680502594266.jpeg

That's good info to know about the parts being proprietary. Not sure it bothers me but that's something I did not know. I will have to see if it come with an adjustable gas block, I will want my suppressor on it as well.

Thanks for the input

Mine, a 20" Bushmaster BAR10 with a rifle buffer, works well suppressed/unsuppressed with the ~9.5 oz buffer I got from Heavybuffers.com. Ejects about 2:00 with the suppressor but works flawlessly with little recoil for a 308. I do not have an adjustable gas block on this gun, hell I can't even remove the fixed carrying handle lol.

ETA: I have several "new" FN_FAL steel mags and they work fine, but the polymer RRA mags are much smoother in operation. The polymer mags require some fitting to my gun but the RRA guns probably don't need that since the mags were designed for RRA

I'm getting ready to order this rifle I originally asked you all about. I need to scope it, I have a Leupold VXR 4-12x40, Zeiss V4 4-16x50 and a March 2.5-25x52. I'm scope poor so the March will be bouncing rifles anyway so I was curious what your thoughts are on using a picitinny riser (for the March or Zeiss) vs tall rings vs a PERP style mount. If the riser is a shit idea I won't use the March, more than likely the Leupold will be used with straght rings or PERP. Thoughts? Ring height? Again I'm a bolt gun guy with limited AR platform experience.

I'm sorry but you're out of my department on this question. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to help.

I'm getting ready to order this rifle I originally asked you all about. I need to scope it, I have a Leupold VXR 4-12x40, Zeiss V4 4-16x50 and a March 2.5-25x52. I'm scope poor so the March will be bouncing rifles anyway so I was curious what your thoughts are on using a picitinny riser (for the March or Zeiss) vs tall rings vs a PERP style mount. If the riser is a shit idea I won't use the March, more than likely the Leupold will be used with straght rings or PERP. Thoughts? Ring height? Again I'm a bolt gun guy with limited AR platform experience.
I ran a pepr on mine. That’s lined up perfectly with every AR platform I’ve ever used. AR 10/15. I believe the height is 1.5” but you can look that up. I would pic something similar. Maybe not Chinese mount for a nice optic but I haven’t had any issues with the Burris to speak of.

I’d definitely go with a cantilever mount. I used rings on one and had issues getting the scope far enough forward. The rings also were near the charging handle which could be an issue when grabbing that

You also may find with rings that the front one can’t mount to the picatinny portion on the receiver. You want the ring or mount on that. Not on your hand guard rail

Reactions: Sykes
I have a LAR-8. It is a great rifle. Mine is an operator model and I did not need a riser to mount a scope. I have some RRA .556’s. On of them needed a riser to get proper height. I could have used higher rings, but I had a Badger riser on hand. That rifle has a different stock than the other RRA rifles.

Reactions: Sykes