• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock River Arms LAR8 + Magpul PRS Mystery Revealed.

OneCleanShot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2013
Alaska
OK...Here is the story. I was looking for a bolt gun for long range shooting and local competitions when the AR witch hunt occurred. I bought a brand new Rock River Arms LAR8 Varmint A4 with the 26" Wilson cryo-teated Barrel. It is easily a .5 moa rifle with good ammo but I will give the range report in another post sometime. I began to modify the rifle for long range tactical matches and local fun competitions to 1000 yds. The bolt gun is coming.

The Falcon Industries Tactical ERGO grip with palmshelf went on first. It took 5 minutes with the right Allen wrench and some loctite. Its a nice piece of kit. Make sure you order the one with for the "large frame" rifle or you will have a gap at the rear of the grip where it follows the receiver.

Adding the Magpul PRS, which many here have done to various rifles, onto the RRA LAR8 became an adventure which I will detail as there has been a lot of confusion and misinformation:

The Challenge: RRA and Magpul advise that the PRS is not compatible with the LAR8 but do not say why. Here you go. Because of the design of the RRA LAR8 (ambi bolt release position), the charging handle pulls rearward further than the charging handle of most AR10 type rifles. This is nearly unnoticeable until you try to add the Magpul PRS AR10 stock onto the LAR8. The charging handle will run into the adjustable cheek weld of the PRS if the cheek weld is raised preventing you from cycling the bolt carrier. This gives you 3 options which you have to weigh individually before we move on:

The Solution(s): 1) Install the Magpul PRS onto the LAR8 buffer tube with the supplied hardware from Magpul and lower the cheek weld to use the charging handle OR leave the cheek weld down all the time (fine if this fits you).

2) Install the PRS onto the LAR8 with the supplied hardware and cut off a small portion of the adjustable cheek piece with a fine bandsaw and buff until appearance is acceptable (which varies wildly among us all). As Magpul now includes a vented machine screw to hold the PRS onto the rife, the function of the rifle will remain unchanged.

3) Add the DPMS 1" AR15 Buttstock Extender from Midway or Brownells to the LAR8 in addition to the Magpul PRS to preserve the full function of the PRS AND the rifle charging handle. BUT....BUT......There is a catch. In this set-up, because you are using the DPMS extender, you must now use the DPMS hardware as the Magpul screw is now too short. The head type of the DPMS machine screw is slightly different (angled VS pan head) than the one Magpul supplies for the PRS but it DOES work. This is because it was designed for the standard A2 stock. The larger problem (depending on who you talk to) is that the DPMS machine screw is NOT vented as was the original screw from RRA and the PRS screw from Magpul. According to the RRA folks, using a non-vented screw to fasten the PRS to the buffer tube COULD result in OCCASIONAL short-stroking as excess oil or condensed water in the buffer tube causes a hydraulic lock in the buffer tube. The vent in the screw allows the oil or water to be ejected out the back of the tube as the rifle cycles (into your shoulder i guess).

To find a quick solution for the vented machine screw. I contacted Magpul, DPMS and RRA and, unfortunately, no one wants to produce a vented a screw of the correct length for the Rock River LAR8 + Magpul PRS combo. We are, after all, combining products from 3 manufacturers which, evidently, is one too many. RRA and DPMS have their screws sent to them. Magpul did not want to tell me who makes their short ones even if all I wanted was ONE longer one. I am sourcing my own currently. The screw that comes from DPMS for use with their 1" extension is a slotted, angled head machine screw with a thread length of 1 1/4" and the threads are 1/4 x 28 fine. You can find them in a good hardware section of a local store or order them from Fastenall. I am having a machine shop attempt to vent them for me today. The vent hole measures .080 (eighty thousands). I believe this is the correct solution (although not the quickest) to the Magpul PRS + RRA LAR8 problem as it does not change the function of either the fine rifle that RRA produces or the fine buttstock that Magpul manufactures. More to come. Thanks for sticking with me on a long post.

Last edited:
Reactions: LG65CM
This is old news (re: adapting the AR-10/SR-25 PRS to work with the RRA), but your observations as to source of the problem and the solutions for mounting the PRS to the LAR-8 are correct.

As far as using the vented vs. non-vented screw...unless you'll be operating the rifle in a swamp/beachhead/etc., it is a total non-issue and one that gets beaten to death for little to no reason. If you want to opt for the vented screw and go through the trouble of purchasing/modifying/etc. to have that feature present, then by all means have at it...but you won't see any detriments to the rifle's performance without it. The "hydraulic lock" issue is generally only present when the rifle has been submersed or otherwise subjected to severe duty in the field.

Finally...and this isn't available yet, but...apparently there is a "fix" in the works for this issue given the LAR-8's incompatibility with one of the most popular add-ons in the industry. Most likely, it'll involve a "mod kit" similar to the one that will let you convert an AR-15 PRS to work on an AR-10/SR-25, but will involve a longer top piece/cover and an even shorter cheek riser than the 15-to-10 kit that already exists.

Thanks for the reply ORD.

It is an old issue with a lot of confusing and contradictory information out there in bits and pieces so I did a lot of researching and reading before posting. I am trying to put researched info all in one place for other shooters. Many (not you) are still confused as to the difference in the AR15 and AR10 Magpul PRS units. Also, there are people that have said the vent hole in the buttstock machine screw relieves excess air pressure and that NOT having will occasionally cause shortstroking due to pneumatic locking. That is not correct.

My information regarding the vent hole (and yours) is correct. It is there to drain water (and excess oil) that would cause a hydraulic lock (and damage) to your gun. A vented screw SHOULD be used but it will not affect the operation of the rifle as long as it stays dry. The folks at RRA were kind enough to tell me the same thing.

I talked to both RRA AND Magpul today and asked them both that very question regarding future fixes and offered each of them my gun and PRS to experiment. RRA has nothing in the works. Magpul may have something but denied it. Neither would modify the required length machine screw with a vent hole for me OR let me order one through them from their supplier either which I thought was odd as it does not alter the function of either the PRS or the LAR8 and provides a great deal of utility for a customer of theirs. The PRS, as you said, is one of the most popular add-ons in the industry and more than a handful of LAR8's have been sold but I cannot say for sure what size the market would have to be to justify the development cost. I would settle for the cheek weld on my current PRS to be 3/8" shorter with a gap as long as it looked factory finished. I do not want to butcher it myself for the 200+ dollars a PRS goes for.

Thanks again. Please add any future info you receive regarding the "fix". I am going to keep posting what I find so its all here in one place. Ignore it if you can't use it.

Last edited:
I took a handful of hardened machine screws of the proper length and thread to a local machine shop today. They did a beautiful job venting the screws with a .080 hole.

Took the rifle directly to the range and put 60 rounds through without a hitch. The ERGO grip remained tight as did the Magpul PRS on the LAR8 and both were great to use. It seems someone should be trying to make it easier to use their products. RRA was great to deal with and Magpul and DPMS answered many questions I had but none of them wanted to source a screw or point me in the right direction on this one.

I have ten of the screws if anyone is interested. PM me.

Here is the Rock River Arms LAR8 A4 Varmint w/ 26" Cryo-treated barrel. Also the Falcon ERGO grip with palmshelf and Magpul PRS. The DPMS 1" Extender is evident directly in front of the PRS.

DSC00893.jpgDSC00894.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for taking the time to write this...it was very helpful for me. I just picked up a RRA LAR-8 and want to put the PRS on it. Question...if I stick to your first two options, would I have to swap out the buffer tube/spring kit, or is this swap only necessary if I elect to put the DPMS extension on? Thanks agian.

thank you for taking the time to write this...it was very helpful for me. I just picked up a RRA LAR-8 and want to put the PRS on it. Question...if I stick to your first two options, would I have to swap out the buffer tube/spring kit, or is this swap only necessary if I elect to put the DPMS extension on? Thanks agian.

The PRS is designed to fit rifles with A2 rifle length buffer tubes. Swapping tubes/ springs is only necessary for weapons not equipped with the A2 rifle length buffer tube.

Call Rock River Arms to verify. If the LAR8 in question has a rifle length buffer tube, the PRS will bolt right on with the supplied vented screw from Magpul. Option 3....The DPMS 1" extender is only if you do not want to modify the PRS to deal with with cheek weld/ charging handle issue. The extender does not add a full inch to the length of pull as the PRS is shorter than the A2 buttstock it replaces. I like the length as as i am over 6' 3". My 11 year old, 5th grader has also shot it with the A2 and the PRS with 1" DPMS extender with no problem. I chose option 3 as it gives me the full function of both the rifle and the expensive buttstock with a small change in length of pull. The ability to adjust the PRS to me and the scope and have it be the same shot after shot was a key in my application. There are quite a few clicks in the PRS for cheek weld. I suppose you could count them and repeat but it seems like a large compromise to me.

NOTE OF CAUTION: When you remove the original buttstock, do not lose the take-down pin spring and/or retaining pin which is held into the rifle by the buttstock. Also, do not kink this spring when installing the new buttstock. The whole thing takes 5 minutes but losing or damaging these little parts means you will be waiting for replacements from Rock River. Also, you will need a screwdriver with a WIDE blade to remove the original buttstock screw. (On the A2, it is the top screw only that holds the buttstock on....the other is for the sling attach point.) Search for videos for PRS installation. There are plenty.

TIP: Loosen the two screws on the side of the PRS, near the front, for the sling attach bar. It makes sliding the PRS onto the buffer tube 100% easier.

Finally, make sure you get the 308 version of the Magpul PRS. They make one for the AR15 as well. The AR15 version has a longer cheek weld area which compounds the charging handle issue.

Last edited:
thank you again for the additional information...since I'm a smaller fella, I'm going to install without the DPMS 1" extender first to see how annoying this set up is. I imagine I'll end up putting the extender on, in which case, I'd like to get one of those vented screws if you still have them....how much would they be?

thank you again for the additional information...since I'm a smaller fella, I'm going to install without the DPMS 1" extender first to see how annoying this set up is. I imagine I'll end up putting the extender on, in which case, I'd like to get one of those vented screws if you still have them....how much would they be?

less than 10$ shipped. I have regular and stainless. Let me know. Good luck. Shoot your rifle but if you are any bigger than my 5th grader....you should be fine with a 1" extender. Good luck.

I have a RRA Lar 308 26" barrel with a Magpul PRS stock on it. Been shooting it for more than a year, never really had any problems with it. With the cheek weld up, my charging handle does not hit it.

I have a RRA Lar 308 26" barrel with a Magpul PRS stock on it. Been shooting it for more than a year, never really had any problems with it. With the cheek weld up, my charging handle does not hit it.

Great. I have no idea why though. The overwhelming majority (as in you are the only exception I know of) cannot operate the charging handle on the stock Rock River Arms LAR8 with the stock Magpul PRS while the cheek weld on the PRS is raised. Rock River says no. Magpul says no. The RRA and Magpul websites specifically state the combo does not work. The tech personnel from each company repeat the same information for the reasons i have listed above.

So, if you have modified the rifle somehow, let us know so we can add it here.

Great. I have no idea why though. The overwhelming majority (as in you are the only exception I know of) cannot operate the charging handle on the stock Rock River Arms LAR8 with the stock Magpul PRS while the cheek weld on the PRS is raised. Rock River says no. Magpul says no. The RRA and Magpul websites specifically state the combo does not work. The tech personnel from each company repeat the same information for the reasons i have listed above.

So, if you have modified the rifle somehow, let us know so we can add it here.

Ok, pulled it and checked. With the cheek weld up, I can pull the bolt all the way back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387641556.970806.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387641556.970806.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 69
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387641571.853663.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387641571.853663.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 67
Well. Good for you! I do not see the charging handle out in the pics but I believe you. Thanks for the pics. Again, you are the first and only one I know of. Which LAR8 do you own? How old? Mine is brand new and i had to use the spacer. Good Luck. What kind of accuracy are you getting. What ammo? Does yours have a brake on it? I was thinking of adding one to mine. It really does not recoil much due to the weight but I am using it in an application where it would be nice to spot misses through the scope. Here is mine with the spacer.20131202_163150.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new here and just bought a RRA, LAR8 predator with a 20 in barrel, with the A2 stock, any suggestions on which stock mod, I see a lot with the magpull PRS, but what about the magpull UBR stock, any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I'm new here and just bought a RRA, LAR8 predator with a 20 in barrel, with the A2 stock, any suggestions on which stock mod, I see a lot with the magpull PRS, but what about the magpull UBR stock, any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What are your plans/goals for the rifle? How will you be running it? Any weight/size restrictions? What options/features do you want/need? etc.

I only ask the above, because different stocks will ultimately work best for different purposes, but there are really no "one-size-fits-all" (or even "most") conditions.

The UBR is very nice as it affords you the benefits of a collapsible stock with a fixed comb/cheek position at every position. It is a rock solid stock, but the trade-off is that it feels like it is, weighing in at 1.75lbs with just the stock body and receiver extension (included with the UBR)...add in the spring and heavy/short buffer required for the UBR/LAR-8 combo and you are well over 2lbs for a collapsible stock option (albeit a damned good one). Also, with the UBR, you'll have to replace your existing receiver extension, buffer and spring. The UBR comes with the dedicated receiver extension specific to that stock, but you will have to source a carbine buffer specific for using the UBR with the LAR-8. The only such buffer I'm aware of is made by Clint Butler with Slash's Heavy Buffers. See here for the proprietary short buffer and spring that he offers (bottom of the page): Slash's Heavy Buffers | Products I have run a variety of Clint's buffers over the years and they are absolutely top-notch as is the man himself. Just be advised that it is an EXPENSIVE proposition to run a UBR on the LAR-8 at $225 for the stock itself and another $150 for the buffer/spring.

The PRS is also a great option for more of a dedicated precision rig that won't be run around in the field a lot. But...much like the UBR...it is a heavy/bulky pig depending on you/your needs for the rifle, etc. With just the basic stock body and rifle-length receiver extension, you are right at ~2lbs. Add the stock spacer and all the other necessary hardware and you are likely at nearly 2.5lbs or so. The nice thing is that you can use all of the existing hardware on your rifle without swapping out the receiver extension, buffer, etc., further saving you some money and ultimately, only costing you around $200 for the stock, $35 for the spacer kit and however much you can get OneCleanShot to send you the correct mounting screw for use with the PRS for. ;)

Again...it all comes down to personal preferences/needs/wants. Both of the stocks you are considering are at the top of the stock food chain so even if you get one and then chance your mind, you won't be losing a ton of money on something nobody in the used market will want.

I'm guessing my main use will be for hunting and after that just target practice. Not worried about weight, just really don't like the look of the standard A2 stock. Will be adding a scope in the near future, I also read somewhere that the magpull magazines will not function correctly in the Lar 8, any advice on that front. Thanks

I'm guessing my main use will be for hunting and after that just target practice. Not worried about weight, just really don't like the look of the standard A2 stock. Will be adding a scope in the near future, I also read somewhere that the magpull magazines will not function correctly in the Lar 8, any advice on that front. Thanks

Unless you just don't mind hauling around a really heavy rifle when hunting, I'd probably skip both the UBR and PRS and opt for something far simpler and lighter but yet, still effective for the given purposes you set forth. The Magpul MOE Rifle stock is a great option as it is lightweight (just under 1lb), gives a better cheekweld than the basic A2, looks better than the A2 (beauty being in the eye of the beholder of course), but yet is workable in both a precision rifle capacity as well as a lighter weight alternative for fielding it around. I run one on a .308 semi outfitted for similar purposes and with the extended buttpad for my longer reach, the MOE Rifle is about perfect. YMMV! See here: STOCKS - MOE® Rifle Stock

As for mags...you bought the WRONG platform for a wealth of aftermarket mag options. ;) You are stuck with FAL/metric mags, L1A1/inch mags, and the RRA polymer mags.

Sweet I like it, and it's just a replacement correct, no need to do any modifications. and thanks for the info about the mags as well just needed to know what to look for at the gun show. Also do the RRA ar 15's have the same problem with the mags? Or do the magpul's fit them okay.

Sweet I like it, and it's just a replacement correct, no need to do any modifications. and thanks for the info about the mags as well just needed to know what to look for at the gun show. Also do the RRA ar 15's have the same problem with the mags? Or do the magpul's fit them okay.

RRA AR-15s can use standard .223/5.56 PMAGs. I have a RRA Tactical Operator and Advanced Tactical Hunter. Both use PMAGs.

RRA AR15's are happy with Magpul PMag's. The RRA LAR8 uses the FAL mag in either inch or metric. However, these vary in quality depending on age and prior use. The feeding and dependability of the rifle is directly dependent upon the quality of the magazine. There are polymer FAL mags available from RRA and other vendors that work very nicely with everything i have put in them. Highly recommended........as the PMag's are for the AR15.