• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock River Arms Piston pistol

Re: Rock River Arms Piston pistol

I fired one at a Gun show in illinois last february! The rep from Rock River let us put 5 rounds thru the pistol and the rifle. It was smooth and balanced nice. The ambi forward-located charging handle was pretty cool too. I would personally have to go with the rifle myself, but the pistol did feel as well built as the rifle.

Keep going dude! You're almost half way to 100 posts! I think you should post a pic of your SCAR and ACR on the ACR haters thread....that'd get you 1 more post...:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I noticed this new pistol in RRA site last year, heres a link to it http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=441

I was curious if anyone has fired one and what are the impressions about them? I havent seem much mentioned about them.

They seem pretty cool to me </div></div>

Wasn't trying to sh*t in your thread man. Anything RRA is outstanding. I have 3 of their DI ARs and love them. I stumbled on this piston concept a while ago and actually asked a dealer to order me one but changed my mind. The "pistol" sans buffer tube is great. I always wanted a folding stock AR and this was going to be the one I wanted. Piston and folding stock=sweet. I think I better get on the line with the RRA dealer and see if he's has one, or either of these actually, laying around soz I can lay hands on it and check it out. Btw, the lack of word on it is why I changed my mind....I'm glad you posted this and got the RRA gears turning again!

ETA: Everything on this thing seems VERY proprietary and that was another deterrent for this guy; I don't like that forearm and it doesn't look like I could put a different one on....

I couple buddys of mine have RRA's and they are great rifles. I just really havent heard much about the piston pistol though.

Reason im asking about it is, Im really wanting an SBR and im kinda torn between the RRA pistol or a full blown SBR.

I live in illinois and would gladly pay the $200 tax stamp to have a real SBR instead of the silly pistol i'm allowed to have. I'm not trying to push you away from the rock river. If i were you i'd buy the rock river and have a seperate lower registered as a SBR. That way you could stick you rock river piston pistol upper on the SBR lower. Great combo!!!

I'd love to, but am having a hard time figuring out exactly how to post pictures and videos :-( Maybe you could point me in the right direction for that!!!

I had thought about getting an SBR lower and the adams arms 7.5" PDW upper they offer.

Im not sure if RRA offers that piston pistol in the upper only. I guess i could get my dealet to call.

The PDW upper is a pretty sweet setup up if I'm thinking of the right one. Theirs is modeled pretty closely to the hk416 upper right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SakoTRG FAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in illinois and would gladly pay the $200 tax stamp to have a real SBR instead of the silly pistol i'm allowed to have. I'm not trying to push you away from the rock river. If i were you i'd buy the rock river and have a seperate lower registered as a SBR. That way you could stick you rock river piston pistol upper on the SBR lower. Great combo!!! </div></div>

We had one come through the shop a couple of months ago and was able to handle it before SWAT rndup. I'm don't believe you can throw the piston upper on a standard lower. It was interesting and "neat". Don't know if it would be something I'd prefer over an SBR though. Shooting AR, AK, and other rifle styled pistols are not the most optimal platforms. When you throw on a stock and option of a vert grip then you can take advantage of the compact size. RRA is coming out with the folding stock sets for their piston pistol though. When we get these in I'll be interested in running the new platform through its paces.

If RRA is coming out with a stock setup for the pistol, seems to me it would need to be registered as an SBR, wouldnt it?

Yes you would need the paperwork. I would imagine that they would sell these as SBR's from the factory also.

Although i don't know for a fact, i would find it a little foolish if rock river didn't make the pistol upper to fit on a a standard AR rifle lower. I know the set-up is a little more like a HK 93, AK-47, Scar, etc since it has the buffer spring located on top of the bolt and carrier, but i would still think that if you mounted it on a standard rifle lower you would just have a buffer tube that served no more purpose than to mount the stock. Like i said i don't know for sure, but that would make the most sense to me.

Rock River makes standard pistol uppers now and they don't sell SBR's. I highly doubt they would start now just because they've released a gas piston system.