• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rock River Arms??

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
I am looking at getting my first AR frame rifle. I am looking at the Rock River predator pursuit. What is your opinion on Rock River? I am looking at looking to spend less than $1500. Just looking for some advise. Thanks in advance!!

Re: Rock River Arms??

I got a person here in Texas that gets shippments weekly. It is a hit and miss but I got time....

I've got a 24" bbl, I can shoot .75"moa all day. Gun is much more accurate than I. Keep an eye on Gunbroker, their seems to be more and more RRA's on their.

I have two.The Predator and a 24" Varmint with a 1 in 12 twist.At 200 yds the predator will do 5 shots at about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".That is with 77gr Sierra BTHP.I have tried everything from 50 to the 77,s.Nothing shot bad but the 77,s seem to be more consistent.The first load I tried in the 24" was with Nosler 40 gr ballistic tips.They go under 1" consistently for 5 shots at 200 yds.

They're not the best combat ARs but for varminters that will serve you well. They are hard to find in stock at this time however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're not the best combat ARs but for varminters that will serve you well. They are hard to find in stock at this time however. </div></div>

Why do you say they are not the best combat ARs? I have a RRA lower and a colt lower and I cant tell the difference between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're not the best combat ARs but for varminters that will serve you well. They are hard to find in stock at this time however. </div></div>

Why do you say they are not the best combat ARs? I have a RRA lower and a colt lower and I cant tell the difference between the two. </div></div>

RRAs don't even chrome the barrels and chambers on standard rifles, have poorly staked gas keys, non shot-peened bolts, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bernard Wolff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're not the best combat ARs but for varminters that will serve you well. They are hard to find in stock at this time however. </div></div>

Why do you say they are not the best combat ARs? I have a RRA lower and a colt lower and I cant tell the difference between the two. </div></div>

RRAs don't even chrome the barrels and chambers on standard rifles, have poorly staked gas keys, non shot-peened bolts, etc. </div></div>

I just have the lower so I guess I would not notice. I have a POF 415 P12x upper and a Mil Spec M4 for it. I have no complaints about any of it.

I have an RRA LAR-8 Varmint - .308/7.62 with 26" heavy bull barrel.

Not really broken in, less than 200 rounds, but it is already shooting less than 1" at 100 yards. I think it will do better.

it is a tad heavy to haul around, but it is really nice.

rra_lar8.jpg

Unfortunately I impuls bought this waiting for a Rem 700 SS 5R to come in. I wish I had waited. I really want that bolt gun and not an AR........

buy the lower and slap quality parts on it the way you like. i believe rra is one of the few truly non-multinational conglomerate owned outfits out there doublestar probably the other one off the top of my head, course these things change fast in our dying economy. anyway rra parts seem gtg for me.

I really wanted to get one but they were out of stock when funds became available. I got a 20" Model 1 bull barrel upper. I see PK has a 24" for sale in stock. RRA has wilson barrels and Model 1 has ER Shaw. The only complaint I have ever heard of the Model 1 sales is that their BCG sucks. That was a while ago and don't know from experience if it is true. To be on the safe side I got a Larue BCG for mine. The upper I got was less than 400 bucks, with the BCG and charge handle I am at just over 500. For the shooting that you'll be doing RRA or similiar should be just fine.

Better uppers can be had for the money, look into CMMG, BCM or Armalite in the price range, for a little more, look at White Oak Armament, their barrels are very nice. I am not a fan of RRA, DPMS or Sag AR15 uppers at all for the reasons Falar listed above, among others.

Great rifle you will be pleased if you decide to purchase. I would trade out the factory pistol grip to either a MAKO or Magpul MIAD or MOE.

regards,

Johnny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am not a fan of RRA, DPMS or Sag AR15 uppers at all for the reasons Falar listed above, among others.</div></div>

my STAG is chromed, and staked good enough, Falar doesnt know what hes talking about "they are not the best combat rifles"....my ass. apparently this guy is sipping the Mil-Spec everything kool-aid. if it goes bang when i pull the trigger, accurate and reliable, it will function fine as a combat rifle. im not a SEAL and will not be taking my STAG/RRA to Afghanistan, so domestically it is one of the best combat rilfes i can afford, and get. my body will fail before my rifle, and im in great shape...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am not a fan of RRA, DPMS or Sag AR15 uppers at all for the reasons Falar listed above, among others.</div></div>

my STAG is chromed, and staked good enough, Falar doesnt know what hes talking about "they are not the best combat rifles"....my ass. apparently this guy is sipping the Mil-Spec everything kool-aid. if it goes bang when i pull the trigger, accurate and reliable, it will function fine as a combat rifle. im not a SEAL and will not be taking my STAG/RRA to Afghanistan, so domestically it is one of the best combat rilfes i can afford, and get. my body will fail before my rifle, and im in great shape... </div></div>

If you can afford an RRA, you can afford a S&W M&P 15 that has quite a bit more to offer. Currently it is probably the best bang for the buck in AR 15s. If the barrel isn't chrome lined that is a deal breaker in my book, unless it is stainless of course. I also can't stand improperly staked carriers. If you like your Stag and it works for you then great, if it is properly staked and has a chrome lined chamber and bore than it is certainly a step above RRA. Some people are happy with DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, etc and some prefer LMT, Noveske, and Colt. It's nice to have options, isn't it?

It is nice to know that I have no idea what I'm talking about though, thanks for the tip.

no, im not saying you dont know what your talking about in general, just the part about they are only good for varmint hunting is what i disagreed with. yes staking is important, but not that much. i have yet to see an AR fail with an improperly staked carrier key. loose...yes, tight with no play, and so-so staking...no problem. and btw Stag/RRA/S&W all get parts from same MFG. stag builds in-house, S&W ASSEMBLES in-house along with RRA. besides RRA and stag have Lifetime warranties if im not mistaken, S&W has only two years IIRC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am not a fan of RRA, DPMS or Sag AR15 uppers at all for the reasons Falar listed above, among others.</div></div>

my STAG is chromed, and staked good enough, Falar doesnt know what hes talking about "they are not the best combat rifles"....my ass. apparently this guy is sipping the Mil-Spec everything kool-aid. if it goes bang when i pull the trigger, accurate and reliable, it will function fine as a combat rifle. im not a SEAL and will not be taking my STAG/RRA to Afghanistan, so domestically it is one of the best combat rilfes i can afford, and get. my body will fail before my rifle, and im in great shape... </div></div>

Dont start the defent your purchase crap with me! Stags are the #1 brand that pop up on forums with bad QC and Low quality issues, just do a search on Calguns.net or that other place, barfcom or some shit like that. I sold my stag 2 days after I bought it because it had feeding issues and would not shoot every type of ammo I fed it, and this was new out of the box, it turned out to be a out of spec chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am not a fan of RRA, DPMS or Sag AR15 uppers at all for the reasons Falar listed above, among others.</div></div>

Dont start the defent your purchase crap with me! Stags are the #1 brand that pop up on forums with bad QC and Low quality issues, just do a search on Calguns.net or that other place, barfcom or some shit like that. I sold my stag 2 days after I bought it because it had feeding issues and would not shoot every type of ammo I fed it, and this was new out of the box, it turned out to be a out of spec chamber.</div></div>

to each his own i suppose, dont know where you read all the bad stuff about Stag though, i would really like to know how they're #1 brand thats low quality. FWIW im not brand bashing here. I never ONCE talked down about another AR brand on this thread. and im not defending my purchase, please save that for AR15.com i specifically stated why my rifle works for ME and why. now if i owned a $3000 rifle and claimed it was best b/c it was $3000 and all Mil-Spec, that would be defending my purchase. obviously that is not the case. bummer for the guy you sold a broken gun to.

The guy I sold a "broken" gun to was a friend, who knew about the problem and still wanted to buy the upper. You may have gotten a good one from Stag, but they have been having major QC issues for some time now. Just do a search for "problem with my Stag" on those sites I mentioned.

Im not trying to "bash" them as you put it, just giving a fair warning to anyone in the market for a upper to steer clear of them. Especially when a lot better can be had for the same money.

One last thing to add before I quit this thread:

Top shelf ARs do not cost 3000, or even half of that. Noveskes can get around 2000 but they are more of a "custom" build.

They are usually a great rifle, However with the big push going on qaulity contron is missing a few things before they get out the door. This is the case with all AR makers though. they are running 24-7 to fill orders. I would look for a nice used one. Lee

RRA standard doesn't include Chrome, but for a small upcharge 45 I believe you get chrome lined, don't think you can get the stake well done though. I love em, wouldn't mind banging a Double star around for a wile just to see though.

RRA makes good quality stuff. However, they are not top tier when it comes to making complete rifles and aren't exactly known to make the most reliable ones either. Do your homework.

Well guys Thanks for the input. I just bought 2 RRA. One is in the Entry Tactical and one in the Predator Pursuit. I got a smoking deal on Three but one is for my Dad. I think that it will be a happy birthday gift in a month. I am looking forward at going to the range and playing.

Thanks
DB

Get an LMT upper. Not much more and it will have a better barrel. Also, double check the carrier key if you get an RRA. I've seen a more than a few times where the carrier key from RRA were inadequately staked.

nice guns cant complain, got a Varmint A4 24in heavy barrel with NM trigger set up NIB.

can i ask what you paid for your 2 rifle RRA deal??? i have a bunch i am looking to sell.