• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rock River LAR-8 break-in procedure???

BeEzLeBoSs

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2012
My buddy picked up a RR LAR-8 and we were told do a break procedure on it, well there isn't anything in the book, and we can't really seem to find anything online. What do you guys think would be best? Bc I know he doesn't wanna turn a sub MOA rifle into a 2 moa rifle for not doing a break in procedure lol.

Re: Rock River LAR-8 break-in procedure???

Yeah, it's probably better to be safe than sorry. I recently bought a new Tikka rifle. The procedure I used was to first clean the barrel and patch it dry before starting. Then for the first ten shots, fire one shot and clean the barrel. Then fire three shots and clean the barrel. Do this three times. Then fire five shots and clean the barrel. Do this two times. I haven't started working up a load for this yet.

Damn, that's a lot of cleaning. Well he's already fired 20 rounds through it, that's it though. Hopefully that didn't do damage. And when you say clean the barrel, brush it and patch it dry?

I just cleaned my LAR-8 Varmint, lubed it, then went and shot it. This is my continuing results: (100 meters)
DSC_0106.jpg

And this is a 10 shot group:

a4c40ae18eb6a8f893c5a294.jpg

Just go shoot it and have fun!!

Damn! Nice shooting, my friend is really happy now lol. He never cleaned it first but I'm sure it'll be fine. Is the varmint just a 20"? Standard barrel?

If it were mine I'd shoot the hell out of it. Then Clean it when it stopped going bang. That's how I'd break it in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were mine I'd shoot the hell out of it. Then Clean it when it stopped going bang. That's how I'd break it in </div></div>

+1---exactly how every one of mine has been done. First range session I run a patch through the bbl and lube the working parts before shooting, then burn about 100 rds through it getting on target and just seeing what it'll do. Then clean it. Never a problem. Everybody's got their opinion, including the pros. My opinion (definitely not a pro) is you ain't gonna hurt it by using it for it was made for-putting bullets downrange. Like any opinion on a the internet, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BeEzLeBoSs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn! Nice shooting, my friend is really happy now lol. He never cleaned it first but I'm sure it'll be fine. Is the varmint just a 20"? Standard barrel? </div></div>

They have a 20" version, but it came out after I bought mine. I have the 26" barrel. I've heard the 20" Varmint model is really good accuracy wise too.

I had a 16" Mid-Length version that would shoot under 1", but the Varmint model does a lot better.

Shoot it till it's not fun then clean, should only take a few 100 rounds. My 26" ran out of ammo after 80, should have taken more with me cuz it was still fun. My.02