• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Rock Spring Wy

GrantB

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Louisiana
I am thinking about taking a job in rock springs Wyoming. I was wondering if anybody has knowledge of the area and what it’s like for a sportsman/shooter, Things like open land hunting areas or places to shoot and do outside hobbies. Thanks

Flaming Gorge is awesome for boating and fishing. A boat is a must so drop the nuggets.

An hour south is Vernal Ut has a range that has few if any equals out to a mile with supplied steel with covered benches or shoot prone. Separate 100 yard, 200 yard, 300 yard ranges, 5 pistol ranges, cowboy action, trap and clay area, and more. Even on weekends you can shoot alone on a range. Week days you maybe the only shooter. Its paid for by local taxes and donations so one could consider it free meaning no fee to shoot. Just drop some coin off to support the range.

The largest shotgun event in American is held in Vernal twice a year with a pay out over 10k at its own shotgun range that also has pistol and rim fire range.

Massive elk and mulies. Most of the game around the area has a sage after taste.

Long day from world class skiing and of course shopping and dinning and amusement parks in SLC.

Ashley Nat Forest.

Wheeler use is everywhere. Yes, drop the nuggets.

The weather is mild so to speak all year but the wind can blow and spring boomers can be violent. Snow is wet and sticky.

Oil controls the economy and when down, so is the economy. Last I heard Rock Springs was really in a down economy. The town looks like an oil town, not pleasant or inviting. People not friendly to rude.

Hope that helps

Yes thanks. That’s surprising about the people. Is there open land around that you can go out and shoot long range by yourself or just have a day of shooting and exploring.

Yes and no. There is public land to explore and of course shoot.

P dogs are everywhere and taking a poke at them is an all day drive event. My bud had his 223 at the ready.

There is also a large coyote hunting group with a competition that draws from several states. Yote hunting is above par.

A long range organized group that shoots monthly I think, I met with them once but I cant remember who they are or much about them. I remember the entry proof is a 1moa dino target hit at varying ranges starting with 500 but I could be totally wrong. I met with them once through someone. If I remember I will let you know.

You have long term people who are not impressed by the influx of job hunting people due to oil yet complain when the price gets below $75 a barrel. There are young roughnecks driving 100k diesel trucks at rude break neck speeds who run to the area for jobs when a patch opens then leave.

Rodeo is huge and while I am not a fan, bull riding live is something not experienced on TV.

Massive archery shoot too.

Had speedgoats in town or around town.

Tri state car road car show that travels around Ut, WY CO corner.

Rock Spring is part of the Mormon corridor and they control everything and are not friendly to outsiders to down right rude. We clashes with a few extremely rude ladies in parking lots and parks. If you are Mormon, sorry but you asked.

https://www.wheretoshoot.org/ saw a few places in the area guess it depends on what you are looking for sadly this site i posted does not say whether or not there is blm land in the area that could be used . good luck if you move .
The Lander Valley Sportsmen’s Association
PO Box 1113
Lander, WY 82520
says they have 1350 yrd range that may be worth a little travel within 80 miles

Last edited:
A picture of the countryside for reference incase you have not been there. Agree with above comments, Wyoming is an odd collection of people some will give you shirt off back, others (Mormans)will steal from you every chance they get and others just want to be left alone. The wind blows there all the time and the winters can be tough, winter breaks a lot of folks.
20161022_102535.jpg

Thanks to everybody for the help. If I was Mormon it wouldn’t offend me my skin is pretty thick. I’m not in the oilfield any more thank goodness I’m in the railroad business. The more I look at it this may not be the best location. Just looking for a change of scenery. Maybe I’ll keep looking

Railroad? Keep an eye out for Alaska RR growth. Its been in the talks for decades but thought is to link Alaska RR to the Canadian RR linked to the lower 48. If it goes through, years of jobs and growth. Its been in the talk here again, getting permits and environmental crap now. Who knows.

That pix is ideal of the area.

Reactions: isofahunter
i worked on a ranch just south of town at one time, it's high desert country, a lot of mules and elk and wild horses, BLM land everywhere but those people are a different. i wasn't shooting long range at that time so not sure about that very tough weather