• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rocksett and torque

Wirides

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2022
Wisconsin
I can't find this specific answer so... I'm about to mount my first muzzle brake using rocksett. Does the addition of rocksett add or take away torque from my initial dry setup with just the shims?

Put another way, will the brake turn more or less to achieve the same torque value? I'm having a very frustrating time finding the correct shim combo and don't want to be back to square one upon adding rocksett.

To answer the actual question, the rock set will act as a lubricant, and the “wet” muzzle device will rotate further to achieve the same torque.

Hope ya never need to remove it 🤣🤣

rockset is easy to remove.

it really doesnt take much torque to break it loose. You can stick the muzzle in boiling water and it will dissolve it also.

Rockset withstands crazy heat, but its torque holding ability is slightly less than blue locktite...

Reactions: Adam B
I've always shimmed muzzle devices to about 1/8 turn dry then put rockset on and snug it up with an appropriate wrench.

I cringed seeing this after trying to remove a brake with rocksett used. I swear I wouldn't worry about any torque spec after that mess. Good luck getting it off if you ever have to. Very annoying and had to destroy the brake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torchy
Thanks for all the replies. Pretty sure I have the most annoying combination of shims, brake, and barrel imaginable. In the end, I got it where I want it and only used one small drop. Should be good to go.

I inquired to Flexbar, the mfg. of Rocksett.
From the horses' mouth:
Of course, soaking in hot water is the method to release the ceramic adhesive.

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 5.28.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 5.27.59 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 5.28.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 5.28.28 PM.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 26
and the fact that lubed estimates swing from 10-30-50% should be a telling.
Wherever wet torque is specifically called out, the type of lubricant is also called out or it's a 1 time use fastener that's pre coated.
Not all lubes are equal, which is why you see people guessing. Manufacturers don't guess.

Reactions: 308pirate
I do not agree with any statement saying Rocksett is easy to remove UNLESS you soak/ boil it.

it is literally less strong than blue loctite...

The issue is people COAT every damn thread in rockset so it "doesnt come off"... You dont have to coat 360 degrees for the whole length of the threads. I put a solid large drop on the top and screw the device on and square it up. So far, have never had one come off that I didnt want to take off.

And if what rockset says is true that it only takes maybes +10% torque to remove it vs. install then something like a muzzle device that only calls for what 25-35 ft. lbs. should only take like 30-35ft. lbs to remove it... again unless you COAT the threads in rockset...

No.... they're going to split the difference and say reduce by 30%...because they were told to list a value so they listed one.

But I guarantee if you call and ask to speak with an engineer....9/10 times they'll say "yeah anything between 10-50 will be fine"

Like I said, unless they are doing the R&D and the application is critical.....they are looking up the same info you have.

Most people drastically overestimate the amount of engineering that goes into a product.....it's generally around 1/10 what you expect.

Why did they use that screw?....it's what they had in stock

Why did they choose that material?... it's what XXXX company used and it worked for them.

Why did they list that torque value?.... it's what was listed on engineerstoolbox.com
That's a gross generalization the accuracy of which greatly depends on the industry in question.

Torque specs for fasteners are a preload intended to represent a certain percentage of yield strength. When lubricated, less torque is needed to achieve the same load/rotation. It's important to know if the spec you’re using is meant for dry or wet usage. Applying dry torue to a lubricated fastener could strip the threads.

• Haha
Reactions: ...
Just use the low range of torque listed by the muzzle device manufacturer, if there is any lubricant effect from the Rocksett (I’ve never thought there was when using it) you should still be under the maximum allowed torque.

As stated by others there’s no need to lather a ton of it on the threads, and unless you put it in boiling water that muzzle device is not coming off until you very deliberately remove it.

Rocksett is good stuff, I have a bottle on my workbench that will probably never get completely used up but It’s nice to have when needed.

Reactions: Wirides