• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

roedale raptor chassis mini-review

2_many_dogs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2006
Chatham County, NC
all, a while back i posted a surprisingly long list of chassis systems that i came across as i was researching stocks for my remington 700 barreled action. here is the thread in case anyone would like to see it.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post3405282

out of that, i decided to get something different and bought a roedale raptor. here's a brief review and some crappy camera phone pictures.

summary: it's nicely made, very stout, and i'm very happy.

pete lincoln and his crew were pretty good at answering (most of) my emails. in fairness, buying across an ocean worried me and i pestered the good people at roedale with a lot of emails.

ordering was straightforward. roedale is very clear on what the process is to ship from germany to the US. first step is a customs application to ship out of germany. this took about two weeks to complete. once that was received, they shipped me two boxes - one via DHL and one via deutsche post. the reason for this, as i was told, is just in case the box is x-rayed by an over-zealous customs inspector.

well, the front half of the rifle arrived. the back half of the rifle did not - after some investigation, it was found that it had been shipped back to roedale because a customs inspector decided that the back half looked like a sub machine gun on an x-ray. i understand pete used very strong language with DHL on this - pete said that this kind of handling by DHL is very rare. i do not hold roedale responsible for this snafu in any way. i just got "lucky."

to prevent this from happening again, pete's crew took the back half and broke it down into even smaller pieces and shipped them in 3 boxes. this time, all arrived without any problems. about 8 weeks total (would have been 6 weeks if not for the problems with DHL) from ordering to last piece arriving. not bad, considering.

coming out of the box, the machining is first rate. no burrs, no scratches, every screw hole is very cleanly tapped. the parts all mate very nicely. there is a mixture of metric and SAE hex bolt sizes so have both sets if you order one. the handguard tube is thick walled and very robust.

the receiver drops into the receiver block with the included action screws. one of the many questions i asked pete was the recoil lug maximum thickness. this was before the current chassis rant came out about not being able to fit recoil lugs. happily, pete said that they can accommodate a lug that is 0.366", more than enough for my custom action.

i neglected to ask about the maximum depth of the recoil lug they could handle. the action i put in was made many years ago by the late jack davis (NRA match rifle and palma shooters may remember him) and recently modified by ken breda (who trained with jack and does excellent work). jack used a very tall recoil lug and i did not know to tell ken to take a little off the lug. as it was, the action fit the receiver block perfectly, but i could not fit the handguard block to the receiver block because of the lug interference. i milled off 0.025" from where the handguard block wraps around the lug and all fits nicely.

the "kit" comes with a set of shim washers, the purpose of which is to adjust the height of the handguard tube so it can clear a variety of barrels. there are 4 screws connecting the handguard to the handguard block. on my light palma barreled action, with all 12 washers in place (3 per screw), i have about 0.15" clearance between the barrel and the top inside edge of the handguard. i tried to fit an M40 profile barreled action inside the handguard and there is no clearance - a few more washers would be needed. it would take only a few minutes to put more spacers in, so this is not a handicap.

once the handguard assembly is bolted to the receiver block, it's very solid with no play. i shoot NRA high power and CMP service rifle and i sling up tight - there's no discernible give in the handguard under sling pressure.

because the handguard completely surrounds the barrel, i needed a set of higher rings for the bell to clear the handguard. i put the old rings on with the glass and did some measurements. i figured rings with 1" height would do, but went 1.265" (nightforce intermediate) in case i switch from the USO to the NF which has a bigger bell and for when i raise the handguard up a bit for the M40 profile barrel.

in the pictures, some may note that the barrel is not centered in the handguard. this is not a design flaw. what this arrangement does is lowers the top of the handguard tube which lowers the height of the top of the tube which lowers the height of the rings required to mount glass.

rails went on the handguard without drama. i splurged for an atlas bipod. roedale includes a threaded sling stud that screws down on the handguard if you prefer to use a harris-type bipod.

roedale1.jpg

roedale2.jpg

i got a few minutes to test the system after a junior's .22 event that our rifle club puts on each month. i was zero'd in 3 shots and used 2 more to verify. my target was a square block of 3/4" pasters to give me a square 1.5" on a side. distance was 200 yards, and i shot from the prone position using a bipod and sandsock. first 5 shot group was just over 1" C-to-C. second group was just under 1" C-2-C. i need more time with the rifle so until i get a block of time don't hold me to those numbers. i like what i see, tho.

minor issues - the raptor uses a cheekpiece very similar to the one found on the AICS. the two legs that go down into the stock were bent at a slight angle. this put an upward cant (front edge was notably higher than the rear) which was a bit annoying. a bit of bending fixed that. the stock also came with a set of thumbscrews as well as the flush hex screws to hold the cheekpiece in place. i cannot get the thumbscrews down tight enough to hold because they bottom on the stock side - the flush hex screws work fine, however.

i think the handguard could be shortened a couple of inches. the handguard is a robust beast, but that adds to the weight - if they trimmed 2-3" off, it would help a bit with weight and balance.

the rear of the stock uses has two eyes, one on each side in the same manner as AICS stocks, for use with HK hooks. i knew this when i purchased it, but i have to say i am not a fan of HK hooks. i prefer QD swivels - pete, it would be nice if you could get a QD mount on the rear of the stock.

overall, i'm pretty happy with the raptor chassis. i'll shoot it under rule 3.3.2 at a high power match this saturday to get some more time with it and see how it feels. i hope to get some bipod time after the position match is over, as well.

Re: roedale raptor chassis mini-review

Looks great, good to hear you choose Pete.

I'm still very happy with my Roedale RT43 chassis.

The groups will def. become a lot smaller.

GroteFoto-UY7OC7FC.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quigley77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks a lot like the AX chasis. </div></div>

Imagine that.
whistle.gif

I've always had a lot of interest in this chassis that I first heard of when I just joined the hide.

Just a bit of background info for the TS to go with his rifle.

The Raptor was developed in 2007 and 2008 and was first shown at the IWA2009. It didnt have a name back then.
The name of the chassis was actualy decided here on the hide in a thread called "name the rifle stock" that was March 2010. which is when the name Raptor was decided on,
It is derived from RAPRT stands for Role Adaptive Precision Tactical Rifle Chassis

The stock actualy pre dates the introduction of the AIAX by about 2 - 3 years.

The most imprtant thing it looks great and will be a hell of a shooter.

Frank

i finally got a chance to shoot. shot a 50 shot high power match on a reduced 200 yard range and then shot off the bipod at 200 yards for groups.

the 200 yard group came out 0.870" center to center for 5 shots:

roedale_bipod.jpg

20 rounds from the prone position, slung up with a jensen sling and creedmoor jacket:

roedale_sling.jpg

the three fliers left, right, and low were me - i called each one.

the raptor is extremely comfortable when slung up. the bump under the handguard is comfortably rounded and the support hand is stable on it. this rifle is a .223, but i'm certain that the support hand would not slip under recoil when shooting a .308.

my 14 year old son also shot at plates. he really likes the fit and feel of the stock and managed 10 for 10 hits on the 200 yard plate.

all around, i'm really impressed with the quality, finish, stoutness, and shootability of this chassis.

i got a chance to look at my match notes for this rifle. 10 years ago, back when my eyes were working really well, this rifle with its 26" barrel shot pretty well. it wore a master class stock back then and i could clean the 600 yard reduced to 200 target. jack davis could build a really nice rifle.

i had ken breda (great smith in aptos, CA) take that barreled action and take the barrel down to 20". the new barreled action balances very well now and is a heck of a lot lighter both in the front and in the back. in ken's hands, i was certain that the action would shoot just as well after he worked on it as before.

i've not had a chance to shoot this rifle in match rifle form since my eyes started to go bad and that was a shame because it was such a great shooter. thanks to ken's excellent work and the raptor chassis, this rifle is back in use again.

Is there a U.S supplier for the Roedale chassis?

Pete ships them straight from Germany to the US.
Don't worry, he's British so the language barries should be managable.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a U.S supplier for the Roedale chassis? </div></div>

Yeah...Mile High Shooting Accessories, ask for the AIAX. Just joking, I couldn't resist!

Looks like a really sturdy stock and I've heard good things about Roedale gear.

like BVFR says, they ship direct from germany. other than dealing with DHL, the ordering process is pretty straightforward and pete and geoff keep your order status updated. even with the DHL-induced delay, it was faster than some of the other chassis makers can get you a chassis.

the roedale website says they are in stock, so you'd have yours in 6-8 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait for a folder version... *hint hint* </div></div>

you can go tell pete he needs to get on it.

one thing he did tell me was that when the folder is available, it will be available as a kit and it would work on the current fixed stocks. i can sort of see how it would work as the butt end comes off the receiver block (it is held with 3 pins and a bolt). check with him on that, tho, to verify that is still his plan.

i had an email chat with pete at roedale and there's quite a bit in the works there.

version 1 of the folder didn't meet pete's standards so they are working on making it solid. it will still be a kit that can be retro-fit onto the existing fixed stock raptors.

roedale has a substantial number of M700 raptors on the shelf ready to ship. if you need one, check out the roedale web site (http://www.webshop.roedale.de/index.php?cat=c159_RAPTOR-R700.html) and you can have one in 6-8 weeks.

pete plans to have the raptor adapted for more receivers. the current plan is for the tikka T3, the howa 1500, and savage. he said that if he can get 25 orders for a particular receiver, he'll set up the machine to do them.

winchester M70 is also planned - first for the RCS-II chassis and then for the raptor.

i painted up my raptor. i guess silver and black are fine, but it stands out a bit. still using my crappy phone camera.

roedale_cam1.jpg

roedale_cam2.jpg

roedale_cam4.jpg

roedale_cam3.jpg

Wow it's amazing! Way to go.

Makes my standard pannels look a bit... well lets not go there.

Great work now go shoot and ding the paintwork to make it look even more badass