• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ronin Combat Strategies Training

RangerWalker71

Suppressor Peddler
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette LA
    gmail.com
    Ronin Combat Strategies is a "Brother" company of Colonial Armory. I finally got the pleasure of taking a full class this weekend. The 2 Day Intermediate Rifle. Great Course of Fire. Instruction was Combat/LE based. Instructors have a vast experience of Military and LE, they were professional, knowledgeable, and pushed you to improve your marksmanship with the first few minutes of the class. They didn't stop until the class was over. They were always teaching and pushing you to improve. The class had a last vast level of experience, 17yr old new shooter, LE, Military, and long time shooters. All of us learned something and left improved shooters. The Shooter to instructor mix was 1-3. Each student got considerable one on one instruction.

Course Description:
    The course was designed to further develop the shooters ability to apply basic combat shooting fundamentals developed in the Tactical Rifle Course. Students will continue to reinforce these fundamentals while also introducing advanced weapons handling skills and tactical shooting concepts. This will include various shooting positions, tactical use of caver, and support hand weapon manipulation. Students will engage targets out to 100 yards during daylight hours. Students will leave with a solid understanding of the basic combat shooting fundamentals. At the culmination of this course, each individual shooter will be tested on the combat pistol/rifle standards for a <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">chance to earn a Ronin Combat Strategies SHOOTER TAB!</span></span>
    Objectives

firearms safety
    combat mindset
    gear selection/placement
    fundamentals of marksmanship
    confirm zero (iron/optics)
    combat shooting principles
    loading/unloading/press checks
    ready positions/presentations
    target identification
    rapid target engagement
    multiple target engagement
    pistol transitions
    speed/combat/tactical reloads
    malfunction drills
    stationary turns
    shooting on the move
    lateral shooting
    alternate shooting positions
    tactical use of cover/barricade shooting
    support hand weapon manipulation
    adverse angles
    advanced shooting drills
    reactive targets
    qualification course

The Shooters TAB.
    Ronin Combat Strategies designed a comprehensive core set of pistol/rifle combat shooting standards. These standards provide the shooter with a baseline test of fundamental combat shooting skills. The staff at Ronin Combat Strategies have trained with the best in the military, police and tactical firearms community. From that training, we realized that although students attend a particular course, they may not have mastered a certain level of proficiency by the end. Every student walks away with a training certificate, but nothing to show for performance level. Ronin Combat Strategies developed a tab system to allow its students a way to display their skill level.

The standards are broken down into 4 levels:

Basic (Tan)
    Intermediate (OD)
    Advanced (Brown)
    Combat (Black)

At the culmination of each course, students will be tested in front of their peers on the combat shooting standards. Those that meet the requirements will be tabbed with an official Ronin Combat Strategies SHOOTER TAB. These tabs are designed to be worn on the back of the Ronin Shooter cap.

Here at Ronin Combat Strategies, we feel strongly about developing a combat mindset, embracing warrior ethos, and for each student to continue on their quest to becoming a well-rounded combat shooter. With each level comes additional reading. This is why we have included numerous references on our further studies page.

We challenge you to put your combat shooting skills to the test. Earn a Ronin Combat Strategies SHOOTER TAB and know you have truly achieved a milestone in your combat shooting!

I 100% recommend this or any Ronin Class, from beginners to seasoned vets. They also do pre-deployment train up. Everyone can learn something from them. I will be going to classes as often as i can. I have a life time of shooting, 10yrs of military experience. I honed my skills and learned, and had a lot of fun.

Check them out at www.roninstrategies.com, or check out Trigger Time on the Pursuit Channel, Thursday 0930, Friday 1800, Saturday 1230.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxjJRMVBYdc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlWiNqWvdog&feature=relmfu

Re: Ronin Combat Strategies Training

The Combat Rifle Tab Needs to be blue not black. Actually I would question any class who passes out Combat Rifle Tabs, patches, badges. Might be a great school, but that would be a turn off for me.

Badge%20of%20Glory.jpg

The Ronin Tab is a motivational tool. Ronin staff contains Combat Vets, I am a vet, I take no offense to these standards. It is a great way to test your skills and push your self. The Staff contains Army sniper, Marine Team Leader with the Special Reaction Teams. He is also a former Team Sergeant for a full-time SWAT Team with a large municipal police department, a Team Leader on a full-time SWAT Team with a large sheriff's department. He has an extensive background in both conducting and training others for high-risk law enforcement operations. He is a TN Post Certified Instructor in several subjects, has successfully completed numerous courses including the FBI Firearms Instructor Course, and is a graduate of the Dept. of the Army/FBI Hazardous Devices School (Bomb Technician).
    This is just a few. They have all served and set them selves apart from their peers. This is a MOTIVATIONAL tool for students. A set of standards developed by real world shooters, both Mil. and LE. Not some know nothing wantabee.

RangerWalker,
    Nice to see you teaming up with Ronin. Sorry others can't appreciate it. It was good to see you attend a full day class.

For those unfamiliar,
    I have experienced a couple of classes with Ronin (speed pistol, and AR-15). I plan to take more to "tab up". I don't care if the tab is pink and says "Scrotum Face".
    I never realized how weak my shooting skills were untill I took the classes. I am now much more confident with both my pistol and AR (probably more proficient than I am with my long range rifle now). This is a good thing for living in the Memphis area.
    The classes are great. All the students seem to become good friends by the end of the day. You have to experience it to fully understand it.

I too was able to attend the first day of the Ronin class this weekend. I have to admit that I was somewhat apprehendsive about signing up for the class. Even though I have been shooting for about 30 years, I had never taken a shooting class other than required CCW class. I am no expert with either the AR platform or handguns. Rangerwalker71 described the mix of students very well. My only regret after day one was that I could not come back for day two (family scheduling conflict).

I was truly impressed with all the instructors, and the amount of information that I took from the class. They have real world experience from the urban environment to the sandbox, these guys have seen it. I now know what to practice on my own time and learned techniques that I had never seen before. The actual trigger time with the great instruction created muscle memory that I will continue to practice. The instructor/student ratio was great. I never had to find a instructor one was always within reach. Not only was the class enjoyable, but the best part is that I am now better prepared to protect my family and myself. Step out of your box and challenge yourself--sign up for a Ronin class. I plan on attending the August low light class and several more.

you guys know if they're planning another match this year? I enjoyed the one this past winter.

Steel bash II is in the works for Oct. Jason and I where just discussing it today. I'll post dates, location, and info as I get it.

tell Jason

OCT 13-14 is TX PRS match
    OCT 20-21 is TN PTS team match
    OCT 26-28 is FL PRS GAP Grind

I wish my schedule would've allowed me to make the class last weekend and I'm definitely going to take one from them soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coletta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't care if the tab is pink and says "Scrotum Face". </div></div>

For your sake Coletta, hope this doesn't take the place of Magilla!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish my schedule would've allowed me to make the class last weekend and I'm definitely going to take one from them soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coletta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't care if the tab is pink and says "Scrotum Face". </div></div>

For your sake Coletta, hope this doesn't take the place of Magilla!</div></div>

Crap and I just got "Magilla feeding time" patches ordered from Monkey.

No it doesn't Mall Ninja.
    Ronin def:
    In feudal Japan, a Ronin was a samurai warrior who, either by consequence or by choice, had no lord or master. These samurai were wanderers who sought honor, purpose, and the mastery of their weapons. The most famous Ronin was Miyamoto Musashi, whose text The Book of Five Rings, is still considered a classic resource on combat strategy. Miyamoto differed from his peers in that he disregarded sword handling showmanship in favor of more efficient but brutal weapons manipulation. He also believed in achieving complete ability with both the longer katana and the shorter wakizashi swords, akin to being proficient with both assault rifle and handgun. Like these samurai, we at Ronin Combat Strategies are dedicated to becoming machine-like with our weapons through the intense study of simple but deadly fundamental skill sets. Founded by owners Jason Long and Jason Redding in 2009, Ronin Combat Strategies is committed to providing exceptional but affordable combatives training to Law Enforcement Officers, Military Personnel, and qualified United States citizens. We hope that you will join us on our journey...

You just have to love all the Smart A's on the web page. If you want Great training from experienced Trainers contact Ronin. If you want to check your ego at the door and improve your shooting skills.

I can say that there were no "mall ninjas" in the class I attended. Instructors that have defended this country with military service, and are now protecting our streets daily. All the students were there to learn and improve their shooting abilities. A great day of serious training.

KSwift I offer you this invitation. You get to Memphis, and I will pay the fee for you to take a Ronin class. Nothing says you believe in something like putting your money where you mouth is. Oh by the way, I am not affiliated with Ronin in any way.

Yah, I read that little blurb off the website too.

So, are one of the Jasons a descendant of an ancient samurai warrior? What's the connection?

Why not put Viking script on the logo? They existed and were bad@ss killers...

SHWILL, I wouldn't burn that hole in your wallet. I'll just stick with Uncle Sams invite and training.

This shit happens every time someone tries to promote something good on here. A good intentioned promotion for something we all have an interest in, followed by several captain dumb shits that have nothing better to do than stroll the forums to bash others. It usually goes like this:
    1. Captain Dumb Shit has to open his cock sucker with a negative comment about an emblem
    2. We call him out
    3. he makes desperate attempts to bash again
    4. I make fun of his super star 22 pistol on his websites home page header
    5. Dumb Shit makes another desperate attempt to bash improper grammar, or something meaningless
    6. Dumb Shit probably won't buy anything from my classifieds now, and all is forgotten.
    Let's fast forward through the whole thing.
    It is easy to be an Internet tough guy. Come test your skills, and bring your gunknowledge.com, faggot.
    It is pretty ignorant to bash something because of the emblems.

P.S.
    I would like to send you some rhinestones and a hot glue gun to help "customize" your 22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coletta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This shit happens every time someone tries to promote something good on here. A good intentioned promotion for something we all have an interest in, followed by several captain dumb shits that have nothing better to do than stroll the forums to bash others. It usually goes like this:
    1. Captain Dumb Shit has to open his cock sucker with a negative comment about an emblem
    2. We call him out
    3. he makes desperate attempts to bash again
    4. I make fun of his super star 22 pistol on his websites home page header
    5. Dumb Shit makes another desperate attempt to bash improper grammar, or something meaningless
    6. Dumb Shit probably won't buy anything from my classifieds now, and all is forgotten.
    Let's fast forward through the whole thing.
    It is easy to be an Internet tough guy. Come test your skills, and bring your gunknowledge.com, faggot.
    It is pretty ignorant to bash something because of the emblems.

P.S.
    I would like to send you some rhinestones and a hot glue gun to help "customize" your 22.

</div></div>

This gets my vote for Quote of the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Captain Dumb Shit has to open his cock sucker with a negative comment about an emblem</div></div>

Captain Dumb Shit did just that. How can you ern a "combat" badge without having been in combat.

He didn't say anything about the course, just questioned the "combat patch".

Captain Dumb Shit lost a lot of friends who were earning their Combat Infantry Badge IN COMBAT.

The Army has a program where you can earn the "EXPERT" Infantry Badge, but you have to actually be in combat to get the Combat Infantry Badge.

I was in no way questioning the quality of the course or their instructors.

If my opinions on the "Combat" badge, patch, or whatever offends some one I'm sorry but my opinion hasn't change.

Unfortunately this thread seems to be drifting into a pissing contest instead of positive comments about a quality training program.

If anyone/everyone would review the Ronin site there is never a mention that the Ronin Shooter Tab/Patch is billed or equilivent to a Combat Infantry Badge or a "Combat Badge". The CIB is an honor by itself.

The Shooter Tab/Patch is an outward sign/award that signifies that students of the Ronin Classes have acheived or exceeded certain standards. Many schools use tabs/patches/pins to award students for their successes and encourage others to strive harder. I certainly haven't seen anyone jumping all over the Shooter Pins awarded by The Bill Rogers Reactive Shooting School in Georgia.

The quality of the Ronin Instructors and their teaching is excellent and real world applicable. The instructors are all highly qualified active law enforcement and military personel.

The most recent course was a great experience to define my personal sucess and deficiencies. Naturally more of the latter than the formal. The staff continually pushes student to think and react in realistic senarios.

I would encourage anyone to attend any of the Ronin courses to further their experience or to test their current level of training.

Andrew

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Captain Dumb Shit has to open his cock sucker with a negative comment about an emblem</div></div>

Captain Dumb Shit did just that. How can you ern a "combat" badge without having been in combat.

He didn't say anything about the course, just questioned the "combat patch".

Captain Dumb Shit lost a lot of friends who were earning their Combat Infantry Badge IN COMBAT.

The Army has a program where you can earn the "EXPERT" Infantry Badge, but you have to actually be in combat to get the Combat Infantry Badge.

I was in no way questioning the quality of the course or their instructors.

If my opinions on the "Combat" badge, patch, or whatever offends some one I'm sorry but my opinion hasn't change.
    </div></div>
    The point of my previous comment was about the company emblem and logo. We did not discuss combat badges, but to touch on your point...
    I would like to tell a story.

John goes to the doctor for a routine checkup. The doctor tells John that his heart health is degrading, and he may need a simple procedure to extend his life. John says to doc, "Lets do the procedure! I want to see my kids grow up! What do we need to do?". Doc explains that he will be implanting a little black pacemaker. John interupts the doctor and says,"what do you mean a black pacemaker!? Call me back when you get some MF-ing blue pacemakers in!". John storms out of the office, and all the other doctors, nurses, and patients laugh at the response. John then goes home and gets on the internet, and tells everyone that the black pacemakers are bullshit even though it can help save lives. Everyone on the internet then laughs at John too.

I read a couple of your recent posts. There is a comment that you made in post# 3445296 that I completely agree with, which should be applied here. your post was in response to a gentleman taking his grandchildren to the range and being hassled by other range goers. If you skip to the end of your post you say this,"Juniors are the future of shooting sports and should be enchouraged by any means possible". Juniors are used in the comment, but new, no, All shooters applies here.

Just saw the Ronin segment on Trigger Time. Looked good. Steve, were you in the footage? Thought I might have recognized my old M900 weaponlight. Could be wrong though. Anyways, looked like good training. I started shooting on the move recently and it let me know just how bad I need more practice. Wouldn't hurt me to throw some cover in the mix either.

Apparently some folks commenting on this thread don't understand the concept of brands and marketing. At the end of the day training is a business and as business owners Jason and Jason have the primary responsibility to grow their business. How do you grow a business, through marketing and brand reputation. The "shooter tabs" are a marketing tool and provide an incentive for customers to return to class. It's like going to a gym - you keep going back to improve your fitness level. Students go back to class to improve their shooting skills - they get a symbol of their success by earning a different level badge. Very simple and basic. If someone wants to knock an innovative way to draw and retain customers - then so be it, they can...but, as my father always says you can learn just as much from the dumbass in the room as you can from the teacher.

Yes, that was my first post, this is my second post, and yes I happen to be a fan of the training at Ronin Combat Strategies. Am I a mall ninja...nope, not cool enough for that...plus, I don't have a vajazzle...

Redirt and Fjfar,
    Hitting the nail on the head. Welcome to the hide Fj!

I thought I'd accidentally logged onto barfcom for a moment there.....

The Ronin guys are good, REALLY good. Good guys, good shooters, good instructors, every last one of them. Zero dead wood in this bunch. Each with an area of specialization, the instructors are knowledgeable, professional, and motivating in the extreme.

I've spent over 200 days in "name brand" shooting schools. Big name schools, military and civilian. (Yeah, I should probably be better by now.) These guys can run with any of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Combat Rifle Tab Needs to be blue not black. Actually I would question any class who passes out Combat Rifle Tabs, patches, badges. Might be a great school, but that would be a turn off for me.

Badge%20of%20Glory.jpg
    </div></div>

Ronin based the colors off Marine Judo belts. As the owner is a Marnie not in the Army. The times and standards are to help prepare you for combat, and to help you be more successful when your on the two way range. Thanks for all the members who have been to a class and spoke up. I will be attending more classes to improve my skills.

looking forward to the class 1/2 sept.

Rangerwalker - you going to have a SF762K there for demo?