• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rookie gas tube question

Bighouse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2007
Utah
I am in the process of installing a gas block from palidan machine. Per the instructions I cut 7/8" of the end of my gas tube. Now the new block holds the tube with two set scews.

Here is my dumb question. I think the tube should be all the way into the gas key but I am not 100% sure.

Can someone please tell if the gas tube should be all the way inside the gas key to the point that its touching?

Re: Rookie gas tube question

I have been building AR's for a long time. I have never heard of having to shorten a gas tube before. What is the reason for this? Can you post a pic of the gas block? What length barrel do you have?

The reason for shortening the tube is due to the design of the block. Here is the block I am using.

2487665.Jpg

I also have a Paladin block and it took me a couple of tries before I got my rifle to cycle properly. Initially, I cut the tube 7/8' per instructions and it put the tube halfway through the key. The rifle was shortstroking. The second time around, I cut the tube as long as possible and slowly trimmed it until there was a slight (~ 1/16") gap from the end of the tube to the back of the gas key. No more short stroking. My reason for not having the end of the tube touching the gas key is to lessen any battering to the end of the tube. Could affect barrel harmonics?
Keep in mind that Armalite tubes are longer than others, so the 7/8" instruction would probably work perfectly for the Armalite tube.
Good Luck!

dst27 should have it on the money. I measured a couple of may other ARs and put it the same distance. Mine is in the pistol position and after the cut, some of the bend had to be straighten out to go into the block. I had to put it in a vise and get rough with it, that tube is tough. My 3-way works good. I need a 2 or 3-way for my AR 763x39 and is carbine length, so it should be a lot easier. It is easier to get tube with block from Paldin for the pistol position.