• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rookie looking for opinion on my first bolt action gun

dombeyblue

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2022
Europe
Hi,

I don't know what to buy as my first bolt action gun...I want my gun (6.5 creedmoor) to shoot reasonably accurately and to reach 1200 meters...that's the longest shooting range in my country. But the problem is, almost nothing is in stock in my country... it's hard to get something good...

So guns in stock are:

- Bergara b14 wilderness terrain (24 inch) for 1300eur
- Sako S20 for around 2200eur
- Sig sauer cross born and raised (stainless steel 24 inch contour barrel...) for around 2200eur
- Savage 110 elite precision 26 inch but it is 3200eur = 3500 USD so I think it is overpriced)
- tikka t3x CTR for about 1800eur

In looks I like the sig sauer the most, but I couldn't find any reviews, videos, or comparisons. So I don't know how it shoots compared to other guns.
Bergara is I think the most bang for the buck but I fear how it shoots on 1500 yards for example.

any suggestions on what to buy?

Thanks!

zermatt origin bighorn action are very good

I`ll be stunned if the Tikka recommendations are less than 98% of what you get on this site. They are, however, very fine rifles. While Savage rifles have a reputation for excellent accuracy at reasonable prices, that`s WAY too much.

Reactions: XLR308
Honestly, I'd put Bergaras and Tikkas at very similar product quality. The fact that you can get a Bergara for 2/3 the price of the Tikka would be a deciding factor for me.

Reactions: stanley_white
I was basically asking the same question few years ago and pressed the Tikka button.

No regerts

M
My first experience with the T3 was i traded a member here a Matthews bow for a T3 lite in 270win and have been impressed everysince.
They are a solid precise platform and if they ever decide to make a true short action with ingegral recoil lug would be even better.

Not sure what nation you live at but assuming the continent. My recommendation is, go to a range where precision rifles are being shot. (Match is the best). If it is a match, stay out of the way while the match is going on but when it is convenient for the MD, ask if you can talk with and maybe even try some of the rifles. That way, you can get a feel for what you like or not like.

That said, most decent rifles in these days will shoot very well. Your caliber choice assures, you will Not Lack for selection, 6.5’s grow on trees these days. If you don’t lean too hard on the Creedmoor (as in trying to make it a 6.5 PRC) the barrel will last a long, long time.

And surprised the RPR did not make your list. Crude and rude, they shoot good. Of your list, the Bergara is a Rem 700 footprint, leaving you many more options should you choose to do a major upgrade in the future. However, my choice over all you selected would go a semi custom or a full custom. No point in starting less if you expect the best.

Final thought. Don’t forget the glass. Spend at least as much (or more) on good glass than the rifle.

Reactions: PhilOX11
If you shoot enough, you'll eventually have to replace the barrel, so first thing I would suggest is looking for parts and/or service availability in or around your country to narrow down your selection. I suspect that due to being in Europe, Bergara, Sako and Tikka product lines would probably be the way to go over the (US) Sig Sauer and Savage.

One of the pros for the Bergara and Tikka is the wide range of aftermarket accessories however they may not be available in your country due to import restrictions or if available, may be priced exorbitantly high (like that Savage at 3200€).

Last edited:
My range enjoyment went way up when I replaced my starter Savages with some Tikka's. I am left handed, so it was a pretty easy decision..

(Wish I listened to the folks here the first time - would have saved some time and money....)

Yeah, the Tikka. Then when ready upgrade the stock to a nice chassis.

There is are good reasons why Tikka are so often recommended.

the Savage is selling for a stupid price over there. Here, $2k USD and cheaper if you want to deal w a large online discount vendor like Bud’s who has them listed for $1,725 or so.

They killing you with VAT maybe?

I got a second option....I just got a call from my local store that the Howa 1500 26 inch barrel is in stock. It cost 1000eur. So with some MDT or other stock I'm looking at a 1800eur gun. Is this "custom" build better and more accurate then tikka and bergara for 1800eur?

thanks!

I got a second option....I just got a call from my local store that the Howa 1500 26 inch barrel is in stock. It cost 1000eur. So with some MDT or other stock I'm looking at a 1800eur gun. Is this "custom" build better and more accurate then tikka and bergara for 1800eur?

thanks!
I run a Howa 1500 in an MDT ACC and it is more accurate than I am. My second Howa barreled action arrived from Brownells yesterday.

I chose it over the Tikka as I value a once piece bolt that doesn’t require a pin to disassemble and Beretta customer service has a horrible reputation.

That being said, from videos, not experience, it looks like the Tikka’s bolt lift is lighter than the Howa’s if you value that. I lightened my bolt lift using Emory cloth to remove the finish and smooth out areas that added friction to the lifting process. Also, the HACT trigger on the Howa is user adjustable via a tension screw or by shortening or changing out springs, which saves you money on a Timney or similar trigger upgrade.

-Stan

Reactions: dombeyblue