• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ross Rifle Fans?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Reading Hesketh's "Sniping in France" about the sniper wars in the trenches. Very interesting book on the measure/countermeasures invented by the two sides. Very, very good info that is applicable today. Got the book from a 'Hide member, but can't remember who. Thanks, whoever it was!!

Hesketh mentions Ross Rifles a few times (along with Ross telescopes, but I think those are a different 'Ross.') The Quebec, Canada-built Ross rifles were somewhat maligned for bolt problems (if assembled wrong, they would not lock and would shoot back into the face of the shooter.) But the snipers swore by them. In "A Rifleman Goes to War" McBride speaks very highly of the Ross.

Quite a few were made and issued, especially to Canadian troops and some US units had them, too.

I have a couple of Ross Rifles, one with US markings, one Canadian. The Canadian one was my grandfather's, but I don't think it was his issue rifle from WW1. One has had the forend modified. I'll post some pictures in a couple of days when I get some time.

I'd love to find a Warner/Swasney scope for either one (at a reasonable price) and would like to find a totally original example at a reasonable price. They have gone up a lot in the last few years.

Anyone else have an appreciation for the Ross out there?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: Ross Rifle Fans?

I had a couple of minutes to get some pix.

I don't know Ross in detail, so my captions/comments are sort of educated guesses. But the Ross with the 'lighter' stock has been in my family since the '30s... I believe it may have been sporterized... but a long time ago, possibly as a Depression hunting rifle. And definitely not by my grandfather. He never did that sort of thing. He wasn't a tinkerer (or a hunter). Ross did make a sporting rifle, but the ones I have seen are a lot more elegant than this.

The rifle with the darker stock seems to be pretty original and has some very interesting stamps, including a US Ordnance Flaming Bomb. Any assistance decoding the stock markings would be appreciated! I wonder if the forend has been shortened on this rifle, but it sure looks original. Most of the pictures are of the darker stock rifle.

Other than the fact that the snipers loved them... there's nothing snipery about these that I can tell ;-)

I welcome any comments. Anyone with more education on these, let me know! I'll post more pictures if anyone wants. I need to get a book on Ross, because I really like these.

ross6.jpg

ross1.jpg

ross2.jpg

ross3.jpg

ross4.jpg

ross7.jpg

ross8.jpg

ross5.jpg

Cheers,

Sirhr

Great pics. Thank you.
I think they were very advanced for the era. I also think they are the same rifles that could be assembled wrong. Same company for sure.
RTH

Great pics Sirhr! Loving all those stamps!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than the fact that the snipers loved them... there's nothing snipery about these that I can tell ;-) </div></div>

Sirhr - if you get a chance look at Capt. C. Shore's "With British Snipers....". In the chapter on British weapons he has some interesting views on the Ross (..."a good target rifle....but it is hopeless for active service work; it's complicated bolt renders it susceptible to interference from dust, grit and sand...") but praises the backsight as "...a comprehensive and intricate piece of work..." that was never fully appreciated as "maybe there was no instructor capable of the exposition..." (i.e explaining it !).

He goes on to say that "...I must admit that with a short bayonet I found much pleasure in bayonet fighting with the Ross."

Like Hesketh, Shore's personal choice of rifle was a little unexpected for his work....he was a firm advocate of the P14 over other available Enfields of the time.

Good luck on the Warner & Swasey...the only one I've seen over here in a long time is this one (complete with 1903):

http://www.kirkemmerich.co.uk/fac-rifles...field-1903-mki/

A great rig...but it's going to be VERY expensive!!

Hi Basra:

Hesketh also says that the ammo for the Ross must be "Spotless and new" or it won't function. But like most of the authors from the day, they do praise the accuracy.

The rear sight is magnificent. But complex.

And I have a bayonet (short) but it was also field-modified to use as a combat knife.

I missed a Warner Swasey on eBay about 6 months ago that went for peanuts. A couple of hundred bucks. I had a snipe bid in, but was too low as I didn't know how high those things can go.

One of the things I am curious about the "US" Ross I have is the cut back stock. It's not been sporterized. It had its whole lug moved back and the wood shaped (somewhat) to compensate.

Made me wonder if someone was trying to improve accuracy (by getting rid of wood that could warp), making the barrel smaller so as to be able to shoot through a loophole or from under a cape, or was just lightening his rifle.

The one looks like it was cut up/sporterized for hunting. But the one with the stamps looks like it was field-modified when it was new!

Still love to decode the ordnance/depot/unit stamps. Someone must know!

Cheers and thanks for the interest.

Sirhr