• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rotating machinery will kill you

I still cannot fathom how we were taught to use a bandsaw in Jr. High with 0 safety precautions (Hey wear safety glasses so blood doesn't hit you in the eye!).

ALso My own misfortune with rotary equipment--the drill press chuck was attached to a chain and I forgot to remove it--hit go and got a little love bite from the chain. I got the scars as a reminder--but no stiches, and all fingers. I was one lucky SOB. Again, Jr. High. We had a metal press that was foot operated--one kid ran up and stomped on it as a joke to his friend. Not pretty.
Anyone else have a shop teacher with missing digits?

I had not one, but two. One in middle school and another in high school. Where they found these guys I'll never know. One owned a bar in town and worked for the schools during the day. He was always half in the bag and wore hawaiian shirts everyday with only one button buttoned. The other only spoke in the third person and flirted heavily with the girls in school. He used to try to lure them in with McDonalds french fries.

There was a rumor going around that the guy with the Hawaiin shirts had his thumb replaced with his big toe when he cut it off. I still wonder if it was true. It sure looked like a toe.

Good times....

I had not one, but two. One in middle school and another in high school. Where they found these guys I'll never know. One owned a bar in town and worked for the schools during the day. He was always half in the bag and wore hawaiian shirts everyday with only one button buttoned. The other only spoke in the third person and flirted heavily with the girls in school. He used to try to lure them in with McDonalds french fries.

There was a rumor going around that the guy with the Hawaiin shirts had his thumb replaced with his big toe when he cut it off. I still wonder if it was true. It sure looked like a toe.

Good times....
No missing parts off my shop teacher, but he had a neck tie nailed to the block wall of the shop office. This tie had a gnarly hole in the wide part. Come to find out thats what happens when a router bit catches a tie and winds it to your Adam's apple before it stops.

Good times....
One of the machining teachers I had at high school had 1.5 fingers on one hand. But he was born like that so doesn't count

• Haha
Reactions: Jscb1b
It was notable that my Metal Shop teacher DID have all his digits. My wood shop did not. Most of my Grandparents generation were missing something. My Dad's Generation (those born post WW2) fared much better.

Sign in my shop.

IMG_1113.jpg

You are lucky it didn't go deeper or hit that kneecap.
1/2” lower I would have had a knee cap replacement
1/2” higher and the same depth would have been 6 months of rehab and 2 surgeries
1/4” deeper would have also been 6 months of rehab and 2 surgeries.

I’m definitely lucky.

Ish. The high school shop teacher had two missing. We got to tour around before signing up for classes and I was super interested in formal training and... no. Not just missing fingers but the shop looked generally poorly kept, they taught it like gym class meaning some projects and 10 minutes of how to do stuff, and a "test" every few weeks. So yes the shop teacher but not MY shop teacher!

I did take drafting and lettering in high school. THAT was a trade class. We had to do "projects" but they were explicitly excuses to do the one thing we'd learned that day or week. Very useful, even if all the mechanical skills (I was already into tech pens, but still) were pointless one day in late 1995. Seriously, I graduated college and hardly ever picked up a pencil or pen for work again. Digital shifted overnight.

No missing parts off my shop teacher, but he had a neck tie nailed to the block wall of the shop office. This tie had a gnarly hole in the wide part. Come to find out thats what happens when a router bit catches a tie and winds it to your Adam's apple before it stops.
Ah, another good one. College (where I was required to take and pass formal instruction before I could use stuff — unlike most business "classes" you could very much fail these, not be allowed to use a saw then have to drop the class that makes you saw stuff) I ended up after aerospace ... with printmaking. Spent a lot of time in the acid room. Room of open trays of nitric acid of various strengths. Room is full of acid vapor, such that everything rusted. Two stainless sinks: midnight black. Faucets: bright green. Stainless ducts spotted with rust where not gray. Stainless expanded mesh at the duct entrances just above the acid tubs... missing. Little stubs held on with little rusty screws and happily bright washers. Grades of stainless really become obvious, and matter, in some environments!

The mesh was there for a reason. You could barely yell at each other and be heard. Mostly had to leave the room to tell people things. Four BIG squirrel cages, switched off their own panel. Like 50 A each? So one day I am doing stuff, someone else is in the room, has a gallon can of rosin. They open it, set the lid down. Rattle whoosh. It's sucked up in to the vents. RattleRattleRattleRattleRattleRattleRattleRATTLERattleRattleRATTLERattleRattleCHONK. They are baffled, still looking where the lid was. I have been looking out the windows, open the door to outside, get the lid where it got spit out, come in the other door, get the hammer and nails, come back in the room (they are recovering from the surprise) go to take the lid from me as though it'll cover the can (!) and I climb on the counter, nail it to the wall next to other things that have been sucked up into the vents over time.

Back almost on topic, personal safety: In the acid room we were encouraged to wear eyepro. Not required. I think there was one sign in the room somewhere. As I type this decades later in retrospect:

o_O

Well I was a student of this. Special studies, etc I might be in that (off and on) over 2 hours a day. One day I am working and feel... bad. Undefined, but Not Good. Worse yet when I get up, go to the acid room for a minute. Bad enough I leave, go fully outside...better. Think not very hard, decide maybe The Acid Room is a bad place to exist. Stop all projects, write down (pre digital!) when 2 weeks is up, switch to wood blocks and stuff and do not for any reason go there, mix acid (I was certified for that) etc.

Worked. I said so, demanded they get me PPE. They did! I had to research, go get it, and they reimbursed me, but still have the half-mask with purple filters (for the relevant fumes) since they had zero accountability so the state bought it and I stole it when I left. No one else was gonna use it.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
I did take drafting and lettering in high school. THAT was a trade class. We had to do "projects" but they were explicitly excuses to do the one thing we'd learned that day or week. Very useful, even if all the mechanical skills (I was already into tech pens, but still) were pointless one day in late 1995. Seriously, I graduated college and hardly ever picked up a pencil or pen for work again. Digital shifted overnight.

I can still hear Mr Hammond asking me if I could spell perspective just before tossing my drawing in the trash. Got it right the second time.

Reactions: shoobe01