• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Rough Looking Lot of FGGM

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
My 20” AI in 308 lives on a steady diet of FGGM 175 SMK. I consider it my “trainer” and typically run it from 650 to 800 yards if the wind isn’t howling. So, I just started a new lot, and opening the first box, the brass looks like hell. Now, this is where I start the rant that FGGM sucks, QC is going downhill, blah, blah, blah. Post it on the internet and stir everyone up. How about we SHOOT it and see? It appears it’s only cosmetic, so let ‘er rip.

I shot a couple 3 shot groups to see if my zero needs tweaked. Stone cold from the bench (I’m not a bench guy) went sub half MOA. Next, out to 655 yards on two different days, different weather, wind, etc... Holds the waterline just fine, shooter being the weak link. MV dead nuts to the previous lot based on downrange results.

Moral of the story, we sometimes get all wrapped around a ding, blemish, etc... Shoot it, then if it doesn’t perform as it should, maybe make a call or two and let the manufacturer make it right. Carry on.

7D6BA57E-D77C-4B62-8F0D-6B9759C0BA39.jpeg
30BA3796-F015-40FF-8140-61897667D656.jpeg
C56FB822-1E67-48C1-BAAF-2283A9ABFE2C.jpeg
BC36A2B8-05DF-446C-93F4-A8A3E0FD9F00.jpeg

Entirely aside from being too lazy and easily distracted (QC worries) these days to reload, GM308M2 is simply excellent ammo. When I ran out of my stock of (legit, pre bad-QC) LC M118LR, I did a test of half a dozen 175 SMK loads and Federal keeps on being the best choice for my gun.

I think I'd have done the same exact thing: "Dammit, all blems! Well... does it shoot? [bang, bang, bang] Of course it does! Go, Federal!"

I also wanted to say after the last range session and seeing your with actual measurements: measuring matters. I regularly walk up to a target and think: terrible, loose group, depressed. But then measure and realize it is totally around 1/2 moa a few hundred yards out, so shooting just fine.

Just looks like the brass got some moisture on it. I see brass on the range that looks just like that after a few days with moisture on them.

I bought a case of FGMM, 168 gr, from a guy on SH recently and the brass looked terrible. So to see if it made a difference I fired a few groups. It worked fine -- just like the previous case. Keep on shooting!

This lot of FGMM has been extremely consistent MV wise. It looks like hell, but shoots just fine. No, I didn’t chrono it, but vertical spread at distance has been nice, better than some other lots. Sent 6 today this morning. Missed the call by 1 mph and burned the right edge as you view the target. The other 5 held the waterline. Shot 5 was a bit high, and I called it as the shot broke. Distance is 775 yards, 26 degrees F, BP of 30.02, 852’ MSL, probably a negative DA (Kestrel is in for repair). If memory serves correctly, about 80 yards shy of transonic.
ED2F270A-146A-4D71-A414-9FA2EBE33C86.jpeg

Brass mottling may have been caused by condensation after the ammo left the factory. Taking it out of a freezing cold condition and into a warm and moist condition could be the cause.

Greg

man thats some skanky looking brass, can you feel that tarnish or is it like an annealed case (has no distinguishable feeling)

man thats some skanky looking brass, can you feel that tarnish or is it like an annealed case (has no distinguishable feeling)
The latter. Can’t feel a thing. This lot is almost gone and hate to see it go as it as shot quite well.

If u cant feel anything i wouldnt worry about it, one time i contacted remington about some tool marks on some pistol ammunition brass and they sent me a free box of ammo :) Also on some old greek HXP M1 Garand ammo from the 60's and 70"s I notice all kinds of weird tarnishing but it doesnt have any effect on the performance.

Reactions: SporterII
If u cant feel anything i wouldnt worry about it, one time i contacted remington about some tool marks on some pistol ammunition brass and they sent me a free box of ammo :) Also on some old greek HXP M1 Garand ammo from the 60's and 70"s I notice all kinds of weird tarnishing but it doesnt have any effect on the performance.
I didn’t fuss over it a bit. Shot good, carry on I say.

Reactions: 308pirate
Sorry, off topic, but I couldn't resist: do you take your actual data book sheet out and shoot it to record your cold bore zero? Because that's what it looks like. And I have to admit, it seems like it might be a cool idea to me.

Last edited:
Sorry, off topic, but I couldn't resist: do you take your actual data book sheet out and shoot it to record your cold bore zero? Because that's what it looks like. And I have to admit, it seems like it might be a cool idea to me.
Yes

If it shoots fine, not sure it really matters what it looks like. I'd say it's more of a confidence issue than anything else.

I just saw some government ammo come out of the box/crate this past weekend, and one round was seated probably 3-4* off axis. Now that was something that would concern me. Most of it shot fine. But that one round wouldn't chamber (no duh, right?) and after the Marine cleared the round, I held it up, rolled it in my hand, and you could visually see the round wobble. Shrug. I told the Marine, "This must've been the batch that was made 1630 on Friday night, or the stuff left in the machines when they turned them back on at 0730, Monday morning." The rest of it was fine, but it's a good lesson to always inspect your ammo I suppose. Kind of lends credence to McBride, and his constant use of machine gun ammo for sniping, long before government "match" ammo was a thing.

I've seen Gold Medal 308 ammo look like that more than once. Like the OP did, shoot it and enjoy.