• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*Round 2 check it out* DIY Fiberglass AR-15 Free Float Tube

GrantA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Thomasville, GA USA
This is my "junkyard dog" I have been cobbling together. I could have bought a tube from Clark's, but I have access to tubing like this so figured why not? I got a barrel nut from ATI, and I have made the tubing a tight slip fit over it. I'm thinking I'll secure it with rivets, through the tube and empty gas tube holes o the sides & bottom. Easy enough to drill out rivets if I need to remove the tube

I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I'm interested in opinions on-
-Is it too long? It's 16" and the barrel is 20"
-Should I paint it? In the pic you may notice some blemishes, after this mockup I wiped it down with epoxy to fill them and will re-sand tomorrow. I planned to paint everything black but I *almost* am digging the raw fiberglass and multicam combo
-Should I make a cap of some sort for the end?
***scroll down for updated pics

Last edited:
This is my "junkyard dog" I have been cobbling together. I could have bought a tube from Clark's, but I have access to tubing like this so figured why not? I got a barrel nut from ATI, and I have made the tubing a tight slip fit over it. I'm thinking I'll secure it with rivets, through the tube and empty gas tube holes o the sides & bottom. Easy enough to drill out rivets if I need to remove the tube

I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I'm interested in opinions on-
-Is it too long? It's 16" and the barrel is 20"
-Should I paint it? In the pic you may notice some blemishes, after this mockup I wiped it down with epoxy to fill them and will re-sand tomorrow. I planned to paint everything black but I *almost* am digging the raw fiberglass and multicam combo
-Should I make a cap of some sort for the end?

You definitely want to paint it as fiberglass sheds little, invisible splinters that will end up in your skin and drive you nuts for days. As far as length is concerned, I would make it long enough for 3 gun style CQB shooting with an outstretched support arm and chop the rest off.

Drill and Tap 4 places around it to secure to the barrel nut. Be a lot easier to remove in the future.

Drill and Tap 4 places around it to secure to the barrel nut. Be a lot easier to remove in the future.

That was my first thought but there's not much material between the gas tube holes, I guess I could use something like a #6. I'll revisit that today

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I'd leave it that length, maybe finish it like the buttstock if you can do that cheaply. Otherwise looks good.

Edit: Maybe clearcoat it to avoid splinters.

Last edited:
OK it's satin black for now, I used some VHT chassis paint, this will work while I put it through a torture test at least. I may add some vent holes, it's in the prototype stage :)

I think it looks really good. I find that vent holes serve a number of purposes. They greatly assist cooling the barrel, they keep the hand guard from getting hot to the touch after a long string of shooting, and they aid your grip on the front end by adding something for your fingers to get better traction. You can drill a number of smaller holes, or if you have a mill, just mill some slots into it.

Thanks for the suggestions & compliments. I decided to add some vent holes, and I have the tube & barrel nut drilled for screws but will have to put it on hold for a week to finish it up. Until then, here she sits

That is the same way I did my front end. It worked out GREAT. That looks really good, and I think it will surprise how effective those holes are at both ventilation and adding traction.

OK the holes on mine ended up a crooked, I will either open them up into slots (diagonal maybe) or just make another. I have the layout method down now, here's a hint- graph paper :)
This is the surprise rifle I've been putting together for my wife, we used to shoot 22s before we had kids but she hasn't shot anything in over 5 years.
This tube is 11" and the barrel is 18"
Right now the tube and receivers are masked off and cleaned waiting on me to spray with alumahyde coyote (which should match the stock). Supposedly I can bake it at 200 for a couple hours and it'll be good to go, we shall see. Fingers crossed, this is a mother's day gift. Worst case it'll be "just because" or a birthday gift (not sure I can wait til August though!)

Last edited: