• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Route for first build.

adaw28

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2019
I'm looking to get a new rifle. And trying to decide what my options are and recommendations. Also trying to decide whether to build or buy. This is my first post here so here goes.

Looking mostly at 7mm rem mag.
Applications:

Mostly whitetail hunting 50-400 yds.
An occasional elk hunt maybe up to 700yds.
Target shooting on my own, not comp. I'd like to be able to hit the 1000 yd milestone.
I want good accuracy but not spend thousands on that last 5%. At least 1 MOA out to 1000 is kinda what I'm thinking.

I'm trying to decide on just a stock Remington or Savage maybe a Howa (The Savage long range Hunter has caught my eye) and also considering doing a build starting with a barreled action in one of the above and getting a chasis.

I'm mainly just looking for advice and thoughts comparing those options.

Andrew.

Last edited:
I have built two rifles and absolutely love them. Compared to some of the rifles you’ll see here they are fairly low end, but they suit my needs which sound similar to yours.

The first is a Savage Axis in 243 (now with a new barrel, stock, and, trigger). I’ve used it successfully out to 1500

The second is a Remington 783 in 300 WM (now with a new barrel and stock).

Both will shoot well below MOA. I would probably use something else if I was competing, but I’m not. Plus they’re mine, not another one like them. And I like that. I choose these actions because I got them dirt cheap on the internet after rebate. I’ve got one more in 7mm-08 I picked up new for $180 for the next project.

Good luck!

Tikka because they’re generally good or rem 700 for future growth.
7 mm magnums with good bullets make 1000 yards easy peasy.
I like savage but you must remember it’s kinda a limited road and a financial dead end.

Is it pretty difficult to build on an action other than the 700? That's one thing I'm a little concerned with. I don't want to get a Savage, Tikka, Howa action and then not be able to find barrels and chasis or stock for it.. and magazine availability. I think there all probably accurate enough for what I'm wanting.

I'm liking the fact that I can get a Howa 1500 barreled action for $500.

Reactions: hseII
Is it pretty difficult to build on an action other than the 700? That's one thing I'm a little concerned with. I don't want to get a Savage, Tikka, Howa action and then not be able to find barrels and chasis or stock for it..
Plenty of options for Howa, tikka and even savage but nothing like the 700.
Tikka prefits are available.
Building on any are not difficult anymore unlike 10 years ago.

Plenty of options for Howa, tikka and even savage but nothing like the 700.
Tikka prefits are available.
Building on any are not difficult anymore unlike 10 years ago.

Thanks of those options is there any clear winner? If there all good then cost is the next factor. I am really only looking at the Howa barreled action because I doubt I can get another action trigger and quality barrel for $500. And it has a pretty good reputation from what I've read.

Thanks of those options is there any clear winner? If there all good then cost is the next factor. I am really only looking at the Howa barreled action because I doubt I can get another action trigger and quality barrel for $500. And it has a pretty good reputation from what I've read.
Search some of the Howa threads here
LOTS of info there.
triggers are limited on tikka and Howa but not questionable extraction and ejection with the savage.

I own a Howa. They are great shooters. People will tell you that there is no aftermarket support for them. I've never had trouble finding anything for mine. They have all the support they need. It is a great shooting platform.

Howa 1500. They're nice. They're generally very accurate. You can adjust the trigger. More aftermarket options opening up all the time. Don't overthink it! Get out and shoot!

Ps . Spend money on training. Online on this site...a class..just do it. Before you pour thousands on this sport. You will save thousands of dollars .. guaranteed.

Thanks for all the info guys. Really leaning towards the Howa but also looking into the Tikka a little more. Don't know much about them and cant find much in the way of actions just complete rifles.

I'm looking to get a new rifle. And trying to decide what my options are and recommendations. Also trying to decide whether to build or buy. This is my first post here so here goes.

Looking mostly at 7mm rem mag.
Applications:

Mostly whitetail hunting 50-400 yds.
An occasional elk hunt maybe up to 700yds.
Target shooting on my own, not comp. I'd like to be able to hit the 1000 yd milestone.
I want good accuracy but not spend thousands on that last 5%. At least 1 MOA out to 1000 is kinda what I'm thinking.

I'm trying to decide on just a stock Remington or Savage maybe a Howa (The Savage long range Hunter has caught my eye) and also considering doing a build starting with a barreled action in one of the above and getting a chasis.

I'm mainly just looking for advice and thoughts comparing those options.

Andrew.

I received an email yesterday concerning the below link. If I was Right handed I would take a look hard at the Seekins’ HAVAK below.

!

Thanks for all the info guys. Really leaning towards the Howa but also looking into the Tikka a little more. Don't know much about them and cant find much in the way of actions just complete rifles.
Lots of people buy a used tikka and build off of that.

Howa or Tikka,,,,,,both will get the job done.
make a list of the features you want and use that to decide.

Any suggestions on route for a chasis? I really like the MDT LSS xl and almost pulled the trigger on yesterdays 40% off deal but hadn't made up my mind yet on what I was getting so didn't want to make any hasty decisions..

I like the flexibility of a chasis, something with a m-lok fore-end and pistol grip. But still light enough to pack around on an elk hunt..

Any suggestions on route for a chasis? I really like the MDT LSS xl and almost pulled the trigger on yesterdays 40% off deal but hadn't made up my mind yet on what I was getting so didn't want to make any hasty decisions..

I like the flexibility of a chasis, something with a m-lok fore-end and pistol grip. But still light enough to pack around on an elk hunt..

I would strongly encourage handling the particular chassis before you purchase one.

I bought an AI folding chassis a couple years ago & did not care for it due to the bulkiness.

I’m a big fan of the element.
they make a light weight version now as well.
I got to get behind a LSS a while back, pretty comfy.